Protect Your Laptop From Spills

Category Tips
Many of us will have a cup of tea, coffee, or a soda while working on a laptop, likewise it is common to find the laptop in the kitchen being used for recipes. All of these instances place it at risk from accidental spills. This is a guide about how to protect your laptop from spills.

I use my laptop quite a bit in my kitchen for looking up recipes or just surfing the net while cooking. I always put the laptop on top of a cookie cooling rack (a small one fits perfectly) on my kitchen counter, so if there are any spills of any kind, your laptop is raised a bit and you save quite a few hundred dollars in a replacement.

I also use this when I am working at a desk or my table, if you are drinking coffee, tea, etc. and an accidental spill happens, the mess (if it spreads) would go underneath. Also since your laptop is raised a bit it is still a comfortable height to type on.

By Maryann P. from Leonardo, NJ

Since I work from home on my computer and also use it for emailing friends, etc., I often find myself eating in front of it as well. Recently I became concerned that I might spill something on the keyboard of my laptop and ruin it. The fact that I live on a dusty road also does not help. So I put on my thinking cap and came up with a very inexpensive household item to fix the problem.

Being careful not to cover any place on the laptop used for air intake or exhaust which keeps the processor cool, I wrapped the keyboard part of my laptop in a single sheet of clear plastic wrap. The wrap is thin enough that it does not interfere at all with keyboard function, but it provides enough coverage to save it from damage should I accidentally spill a beverage, and it also keeps out dust. When the wrap becomes worn, just replace it with another piece.

By texasauthor1 from Princeton, TX

I need to try this with my standard desktop's keyboard if, that is, I don't end up wrapping myself instead, lol!