Protecting Window Sills from Pet Scratches

I have two Poms that are constantly scratching the front window sills when they get excited. Is there something I can buy to put on the windowsills for protection?

Shirley from Charleston, SC

They sell vinyl molding, sometimes called vinyl extrusion, in various widths and lengths and colors at any good hardware store. You could purchase desired lengths and transport it home and cut it to length with good tin snips or industrial shears and attach it to your window sill with small wood screws or "Command Adhesive Strips" sold at Wal Mart. The Command Strips are made so that you can remove it at a later date without damage to your mounting surface. This will protect your sill, protect your pets paws and can be replaced again if they start looking all scratched up. (01/05/2009)

By anatole

Would it work to put a small bench in front of the window? The poms could jump on it to look out the window. If they could see out, they shouldn't scratch on the sills. (01/08/2009)

Pet Smart, and I suppose other pet stores, have a product called Sticky Paws. It is a clear two sides sticky tape. Put this where they claw and guarantee it will stop. No harm to the animal or the sill. I have used it on my upholstered furniture and on window sills. I also used it on kitchen counter top edges to stop my cats from jumping up there. It is good stuff (01/08/2009)

By Lavonneann

Repairing Scratches on Wood Furniture
Repairing Scratches on Wood Furniture
Old dinner plate.
Removing Scratches from Dishes
Formica countertop.
Repairing Scratches on Formica