Protecting a New Puppy from Parvo

We had a puppy for 3 days and she died of Parvo. We are getting a new puppy for Christmas. What do I do about my yard? I don't know much about Parvo, and I never knew it could live so long. How do I keep my new puppy safe?

By Mel from Arlington, TX

Answers:

Protecting a New Puppy from Parvo

You need to clean everywhere the sick puppy was with bleach. Wipe down any crates or any thing else with the bleach. I would get a new bed for the new puppy. Also, pour bleach water on the ground outside anywhere the sick puppy used the bathroom. Consider walking the new puppy in an area the other puppy was never in until it has had all of its puppy shots. (12/15/2009)

By slr5113

Protecting a New Puppy from Parvo

My puppy is a parvo survivor that we got from a rescue. He is not allowed to be around other pups under 6 months or until a month after the other puppies get all their vaccination shots. Even though my Rocky does not have Parvo anymore, I guess its still lingering and has a chance to spread to other dogs. I read online and it said that sometimes Parvo can linger in your yard for as long as 9 months! Be careful and if you do get a puppy that is not vaccinated, you may want to talk to your vet to see if and how to kill all the lingering parvovirus. (12/15/2009)

By Nmorgan21

Protecting a New Puppy from Parvo

Vaccinate above all. It is the only way to assure that your dog doesn't get it. Bleach, bleach, bleach where other parvo victims have been. My husband use to raise hunting dogs and somehow, maybe through the mother, a litter was lost and we fought this for years. Finally we moved the pens and I used 15 gallons of bleach where they had been. Later we put the pens back and have had no more problems. (12/19/2009)

By classyncntry

Protecting a New Puppy from Parvo
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Puppy With Parvo
Caring for a Puppy With Parvo
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🎄
🍂