Pruning a Jasmine Plant

Question:

When is the best time to prune a (star) jasmine plant? I haven't done this yet so how much can I prune it? Do I cut it back a little or way back? Do I have to to this during a particular season or anytime I am up for a bit of gardening work?

Jaime from USA

Answer:

Jaime,

Star Jasmine (also referred to as Confederate Jasmine) is known to be pretty resilient when it comes to pruning. Pruning it regularly will help you keep it in good shape and restrain it when necessary. Use a good, sharp hedge shears to do the job. There are several ways to go about the pruning process, so decide what your objectives are and then proceed accordingly. Remove any lanky, gangly stems and branches anytime you're up for a bit of gardening work. If you want to encourage lateral growth, pinch back only the tips. If you're growing it as ground cover, prune back any stems that start twining upward. If you want it to grow like a hedge, shape it like a hedge. For jasmine that is growing completely out of control, cutting it back severely every once-in-a-while won't hurt it either. For general rejuvenation, prune it back 1 or 2 feet beyond where you want the new growth to emerge. How far you cut it back isn't as important as when you cut it back. Star jasmine blooms on last year's growth, so wait until immediately after it flowers to do any heavy pruning or you'll risk cutting off next year's buds.

Ellen

Answers:

Pruning a Jasmine Plant

We live in Florida also, and trim our jasmine anytime. I prefer not to trim in the summer as I am removing the blooms. (06/30/2006)

By Karen.

Pruning a Jasmine Plant

I have been pulling off the flowers as they turn brown. I'm very new to flowers so I have no idea if I'm doing the right thing. (I assumed that was pruning) until I noticed fresh green piece coming from the center of the flowers. What is this? (02/28/2008)

By JB

Pruning a Jasmine Plant

The best season for pruning the jasmine is the last week of December or the first week of January. Prune the plants leaving 45cm from the ground level and defoliate the plants completely. This will induce flowering profusely by the end of February and March. This season is suited only for the southern states of India. (04/03/2008)

By vels...

A Flowering Jasmine Bush
Growing Jasmine
Pruning a Rhododendron
Pruning a Rhododendron
Pruning a Hedge
Pruning a Hedge
Dracaena Tree
Pruning a Dracaena or Dragon Tree
Picture of Jasmine from Aladdin.
Making a Princess Jasmine Costume (Aladdin)
🎉
🎄