Pruning an Avocado Plant

I read your answer in ASK, but I do not have leaves or branches on my avocado plant only 1 high stem w/leaves. Can I cut the top back or the leaves further down, or just let it keep growing taller w/o branching out? This is all new to me, please help.

By Sandra

Answers

Don't cut the top as that will stunt the upward growth of the plant. You can prune off the lower leaves, and that might encourage it to grow more upwards, and then hopefully start to branch. If you prune the lower leaves/branches it forces the plant to put more energy into the stuff on top.

Hope this helps!

Avocados on a Tree
Caring for an Avocado Tree
Home and Garden Gardening Pruning AdviceMay 25, 2011
A ripe avocado cut in half.
Ripening an Avocado
Pruning a Rhododendron
Pruning a Rhododendron
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
Pruning a Hedge
Pruning a Hedge
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 8:21:59 AM on 10.0.0.173 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.