Puppy Only Poops Inside

I have 3 month old Red/Blue Nose Pit Bull (Honey). She pees outside, but will not poop. When I take her outside and stand or walk with her, she only pees. When we come back into the house after a while, she goes right to her favorite place in the house and poops. Please help.

Nichole from Benicia, CA

Puppy Only Poops Inside

Use a crate to train her. You won't regret it. She will not poop in her crate, trust me. Eventually she will get the idea. Good luck. (10/17/2008)

By Debbie

Puppy Only Poops Inside

We thought we had the same problem, until we realized that our puppy takes a bit longer to "go number 2". I suggest you stay outside with your puppy until she poops, as she is actively eliminating (as the dog trainers like to call pooping) say a code word like "do your business" or "doody-doody".

The same with urinating, we use "wiz, wiz". It means we can encourage our puppy to go outside on rainy, stormy, and cold days. Also, make sure you use a good cleaner inside so she doesn't smell the area and think it's her poopy spot. I've heard training pads work well, too. Put the training pad in her spot and slowly move it outdoors. Hope that helps. (10/17/2008)

By Blaire

Puppy Only Poops Inside

Just from experience remove the "inside poop" and place it outside where you want puppy to poop. Let her smell and see it and she will eventually get the hint. (10/17/2008)

Puppy Only Poops Inside

Every puppy can have different issues. As one person stated, taking care of #2 can take longer. Also, if you allow them to keep wandering, they can get easily distracted. Keep the "walk" to a limited area. If the dog is a submissive dog, they may be less likely to take care of business where there are other dog's scents.

Crate training definitely can help. Also, schedule the dog to go out regularly (when she first gets up, after she eats, etc.). If she goes outside, she shouldn't have to go inside. And of course, praise her when she does go outside. Lastly, work on her letting you know when she does need to go. Use a phrase when you take her outside.

We use "hurry ups". When my dog "nudges" me, I can ask if he needs to go "hurry ups" and I can get a valid answer. You might also want to tie a bell on a rope by the door you take her out and every time you take her out, ring the bell and use your phrase. She should learn quickly that ringing the bell gets her to go outside. Good luck. (10/19/2008)

By BirdyLady

Puppy Only Poops Inside

Use an enzymatic cleaner to remove the scent of her inside poops. She may be looking for signals as to the right place to poop (i.e. where others have pooped).

By Guest

Puppy Only Poops Inside

Try removing the scent with Arm and Hammer Odor Eliminator. We get it for $2.00 at Dollar General. (10/20/2008)

By cookwie

Puppy Only Poops Inside

Yep, I had one pup that did that.

1. Spray favorite area with white vinegar.
  2. Put the poop outside and praise it.
  3. Tell pup to "potty outside" in sing-song cheerful voice and when he does make a big happy deal giving lots of praise.
  4. Take him out 30-45 minutes after feeding.
  5. Walk around and if still no poop bring inside and crate him for one hour.
  6. Try again you should then get poop.

Praise, praise, and praise some more. This worked for our sweet adorable stubborn Yorkie.
Good luck. (10/23/2008)

By meoowmom

Puppy Only Poops Inside
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
french bulldog puppy
Treating Fleas on a Puppy
Puppy in Crate
Puppy Poops in Crate
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch