Puppy With Bad Breath

Any advice on bad puppy breath? Puppy is 7 weeks old.

Colleen from Buffalo, NY

Answers:

Puppy With Bad Breath

If you are feeding your dog wet/canned food, start him on dry food. The soft food may be getting stuck in his teeth and rotting, thus causing the bad breath. We have always kept our Shadow (14 years old now) on dry dog food and he has never had bad breath, not even once! (11/12/2007)

By Sally Pifer

Puppy With Bad Breath

When he has his adult teeth, let him chew on those big soup bones from the meat department or butcher. Dogs who chew on real bones regularly, rarely have bad breath or yellow teeth. (11/12/2007)

By Lynn Beth

Puppy With Bad Breath

All young puppies have skunky breath. You can change foods and everything you want and eventually it will change to normal dog breath. You will think it is from changing foods or giving them certain treats it will only be because they have grown. I am not sure why but we used to raise puppies and they all had skunky breath especially before 12 weeks of age. I know some will say I am crazy but in my experience it is true. (11/12/2007)

By

Puppy With Bad Breath

I don't see any postings regarding anal glands and bad breath in dogs, so here goes an unpleasant subject.

Dogs have glands around the anus that usually are emptied out when the dog has a bowel movement. These glands can fill up if the BMs are soft or loose. When they fill up they are uncomfortable, so the dog will lick the area then kiss you on the face.

If it smells like rotting fish, it is very likely the anal glands need to be expressed. Some groomers will do this for you, but you have to ask. Of course your vet can do it and teach you how. It's no big deal, you just need some latex gloves and a clothespin for your nose.

Dry food makes the stools firmer and that may help. Also certain breeds are notorious for getting clogged anal glands.
Good luck! (11/14/2007)

By nancycorinne.

Puppy With Bad Breath

Ok. Puppies with bad breath is usually an indication of a kidney infection or a throat infection. At that age, a throat infection would definitely be preferable, because a kidney infection can be very fatal to a puppy of 7 weeks. The reason I know this is because I had the same issue with my currently 6 week old puppy. She's been to the vet clinic and that's what was suggested. Good luck! Take your puppy in to the clinic ASAP.

-Veronica (12/04/2007)

By Veronica

Yawning beagle next to man making a yucky face
Puppy With Bad Breath
Jack Russell Terrier with bad breath.
Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum
Photo of woman covering her mouth with her turtle nick.
Remedies for Bad Breath
🎉
🎄