Puppy With Diarrhea

Puppy With Diarrhea
I recently, 1/25/08, adopted another poodle which just happened to be the brother of the one I own. Max came from an elderly woman who couldn't handle the wants and needs of a puppy. Both are approx 9 months old, my problem is Max, the one I just adopted, has a bout of diarrhea and a frequent need to urinate.

I figured this was due to nerves being in a new home. After 2 days the frequent need to urinate has subsided, but the diarrhea has continued. On 1/27, Peppy, his brother, started having diarrhea. He was fine before his brother arrived. I have been feeding them Pedigree brand moist pouches, Peppy's normal food which he loves and also which Max seems to like.

Peppy never had this diarrhea problem from this food. The stool is moist and sometimes stringy. Both seem to have a hard time to defecate so the stools are spread out over a small area. Now today, 1/28, Peppy vomited a little. Both seem happy, are very active, and love playing with each other. Peppy is a bit larger than his brother, he weighs about 13 pounds while his brother is a smaller build and weighs about 9 pounds. Both look healthy .

Will the diarrhea stop on its own, or is there a problem that Peppy may have contracted from Max? Should I give this a few more days and see what happens? I am getting a little concerned. Thanks for your help.

Norm from Woonsocket, Rhode Isalnd

Answers:

Both Puppies Have Diarrhea

Have you taken the puppies to the vet? Diarrhea can be deadly, especially in puppies. (01/30/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

Both Puppies Have Diarrhea

You at least need a stool check on the pups. Of course they should have had their puppy shots and be on monthly heart worm prevention now, but if not they need that when they are better too. Make an appointment today before they get dehydrated. (01/30/2008)

By junebug_000

Puppies With Diarrhea

I would say they need worming. A simple test at the vets office can tell you what kind of worms they have, and get the appropriate meds. (02/01/2008)

By glinda

Puppies With Diarrhea

Sounds like a trip to the vet is necessary asap. (02/01/2008)

By daisy

Puppies With Diarrhea

I switched my dog's food ONE time suddenly back with the dog food scare, and she had very runny poo with mucus in it. The vet told me to keep her on the same food and slowly wean her off onto a new food. She was fine once back on her regular food and I've never switched again. Is there any blood in the stool? My friend's dog had a bacterial infection once but there was mucus and blood. Hope this helps! (02/01/2008)

By katjax36

Puppies With Diarrhea

It sounds like it could be giardiasis. It's an infection that causes the body not to take in nutrients. Some symptoms are diarrhea, vomit, lack of appetite. It is not always easy to realize. It can be spread between dogs- which would make sense while your other dog now has the symptoms. Be very cautious as people can get it as well. Disinfect everything, even where they go potty outside or they will keep contracting it. It's usually gotten from bad water, could have been rain water when they were outside. The vet can do a test for it. (02/01/2008)

By Monica Starr

Puppies With Diarrhea

Puppies can dehydrate very quickly. Take both, along with stool samples, to the vet ASAP. Could be parvo which can be fatal. (02/01/2008)

Puppies With Diarrhea

Hello, sorry to hear about your problem. We had something like this but worse. Go to a farm store, that carries meds for cattle, horses, etc. Buy the powder Electrolytes. All you do is mix in with their water. A lot of times you can get it with vitamins. Cook them some rice, add some can pumpkin, just plain, not the pumpkin pie mix. Pumpkin is suppose to stop it. Or you can add a little cooked chicken to the rice, or cooked hamburger. Worms will cause Diarrhea too.

If they have not been given a treatment, give them one. We gave ours some of the pink stomach medicine humans take. Only a Tablespoon. Keep the liquids going in until they stop. We kept this up, and ours stopped the diarrhea. Don't give up. When it stops, introduce their food a little at a time with the rice. God Bless. (02/02/2008)

By Vickie

Puppies With Diarrhea

Cooked rice is good to clear this for dogs. Also call your vet if this keeps up. (02/02/2008)

By Pat

Puppies With Diarrhea

You know one dog has given the other dog some sort of virus or bacterial infection. This could be any number of things from benign to serious. Keep them well hydrated and get them to a vet today! (02/04/2008)

By D

Sad looking english bulldog with owners hand petting him
Remedies for a Puppy With Diarrhea
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Cat seeing a veterinarian.
Cat With Diarrhea
Sick pug at the vet.
Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea
A woman holding her belly.
Remedies for Diarrhea
🎉
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 8, 2016 at 4:54:47 PM on 10.0.1.111 in 947 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.