Puppy Won't Drink Water From a Dish

Sad puppy laying next to a plastic dish - one paw in the dish.
Young puppies, recently weaned, may not want to drink from a dish without some coaxing. This is a guide about a puppy not drinking water from a dish.

I have a young puppy, they claim she was born on or around 12/23/10 and if that's right she's just barely 5 weeks old and probably shouldn't have been given away. None the less I have her eating puppy food and supplementing with vitamin paste and protein boosters. She was given away by a local rescue.

I can't seem to get her to drink water from the dish. I'm slightly concerned about her hydration so I alternate between sodium free chicken broth and water mixed with her puppy food when I feed her.

She goes to the bathroom regularly and has plenty of energy. I was just wondering if it's normal for a younger puppy to not drink water from the dish. I've never actually had a puppy this young before. Many of the others we had growing up and all were older. So if you have any suggestions for how to get her to drink or if things should be alright just let me know.

By eee

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

You might try a baby bottle with the flat nipple, if your puppy was used to nursing, that might work. Hope that helps.

Best Answer

Many years ago, I had the same problem with a very young puppy. My vet told me to buy some "puppy formula" Place some in a bowl (very small amount to start) next time puppy goes to empty bowl, put more formula in but this time add water. Keep doing this while gradually increasing amount of water. I warmed it a bit to start too. Worked for me and Charley. Hope this helps you.

Best Answer

If he is that young you should get a nursing bottle for puppies and puppy formula so he can get all the vitamins he still needs. You can gradually dilute it to all water as he gets older and keep the water dish down for him so he can drink when he wants to and is ready to. If he was older then the answer would be find out where he does like drinking from, tub, toilet, etc. and put the water dish right where he usually gets his water and praise him when he drinks from it. I have a cat that only drinks from the tub, it had a constant leak, now it is fixed and we have to train him to drink from a dish. He has been drinking that way since he was 6 weeks old, he is now 9 years old!

My 6 week old puppy will eat, but won't lap.

Best Answer

Most six week puppies don't know how to lap. They are used to taking food from their mother.

Put some Lactaid milk in a shallow saucer and give him that. He will probably figure it out.