HealthDogs

Puppy Won't Eat

I got a Labrador on February 14. He was 7 weeks old; right now of February 21 he is 8 weeks. 3 days ago he would make noise like he had something in his throat and wouldn't eat. We took him to the vet. The vet gave him 2 shots & the noise he was making went away. The problem is he still doesn't eat. The vet also told me to give him Pedialyte because he wasn't drinking water either. And it's been 3 days already, he only drinks Pedialyte but not much. Any suggestions I will certainly try on him. Thanks.

Try plain boiled chicken breasts and white rice. A bland diet basically, also stop doing pedialyte as much and offer red Gatorade. Gatorade has more sugar and electrolytes in it. If dogs dont eat or drink they get low sugar levels and that makes them sicker. Chicken broth would also work, just go to the store and get those Wylers cubes and follow the directions, make sure its cooled though.

Best of luck =)

I would skip the Wylers cubes. They have a ton of salt. And straight up sugar is not good for dogs, especially sick ones. If your puppy doesn't start to eat you need to see a Vet right away. Like now. You can try beef or chicken baby food. that works for my cats. Chicken broth or stock in a can has less salt and he might like it. There is something else going on if the 1st Vet trip didn't fix things. He is really young so dont wait to take him back to the Vet. He is young enough that he doesn't have much immunity yet.