Q-Tips for Cleaning a Keyboard

Whenever I need to clean my computer keyboard, I do these steps:

1. Unplug keyboard.

2. Take some Qtips and moisten them in rubbing alcohol. Clean keys, tops and between keys and allow to air dry.

3. Then I gently turn keyboard upside down and shake out crumbs or whatever.

4. Take my hairdryer, plug it in and put on cool setting. Use it to blow out the keyboard

I've managed to save tons of $ like this; not having to purchase dust remover and not having to replace my keyboard as often by keeping it sparkling clean!

By ohiofarmlady from Hillsboro, OH

Answers:

Q-Tips for Cleaning a Keyboard

Please be VERY careful, because I did this a while back, and lost the lettering on seven keys, which I now must rely upon from memory or "hit and/or miss." : (

I would instead suggest simply mild soap and a few drops of water on LOTS of q-tips, to save the hassle like I received and now must live with because I am low income and cannot afford to buy another keyboard, even if used, or on sale for cheap!

Also, when using the Q-tips, don't use any "off brands" because the cotton won't hold up to the cleaning well, and the underlying plastic sticks beneath the looser cotton and can scratch the keys!

God bless and help you in your decision. : ) (04/22/2010)

By lyndagayle62

Q-Tips for Cleaning a Keyboard

Good tip! It's something I used to do but I used them only to clean 'between' the keys and I made sure the q-tips were not 'dripping' with alcohol. I don't need to even do it anymore because I purchased a really inexpensive keyboard cover and am careful of what I am eating or drinking at the desk so as not to spill ;-) (04/22/2010)

By Deeli

Q-Tips for Cleaning a Keyboard

I go one step further when I clean my keyboard. With a butter knife, I gently pry the keys off, arranging them on a tray in the order they are removed. I use Q-tips dipped in alcohol to clean the entire surface. I then replace the keys by pushing them gently into their proper place. It's amazing what is found under the keys.

Everyone is wished a rainbow-filled day! (04/22/2010)

By Mrs. Marshall

Q-Tips for Cleaning a Keyboard

Oh My Goodness Mrs. Marshall! I never ever thought to clean 'under' the keys before! I just popped one off with a butter knife and it was full of Rachel the Cat's kitty fur. I was so surprised because, unless I am using the computer, there is a cover on it! Rachel helps me type though so that would explain it ;-) Tomorrow's chore will be to pull them all off as you suggested! (04/22/2010)

By Deeli

Q-Tips for Cleaning a Keyboard

I just use a vacuum, either the hand held dirt devil or the hose on the regular one. So far over the last many years, that's worked great. (03/27/2011)

By suz123

Q-Tips for Cleaning a Keyboard
Keeping Your Keyboard Clean
Keeping Your Keyboard Clean
Avoiding Keyboard Spills, Coffee spill on a computer keyboard.
Avoiding Keyboard Spills
Worn Off Keyboard Letters
Replacing Worn Off Keyboard Letters
dark liquid spilled on laptop keyboard
Cleaning Up Keyboard and Electronic Device Spills
🎉
🎄