Quick and Easy Halloween Costumes

Category Costumes
You don't have to spend lots of time or money to make a unique and fun Halloween costume. This is a guide about quick and easy Halloween costumes.

Here is a photo of my husband and I this Halloween. I turned us into cheeky comic book characters. It all cost a few dollars using just makeup, markers (for outlining old clothes), and paper for talk bubbles. We loved the reactions we got. We even called our parents, live on video chat, and freaked them out. Best Halloween yet!

Total Time: 1 Hour

• 1 pack of facepaints/face crayons (white, black, blue, red)
  • 1 black permanent marker
  • old clothes
  • white paper

1. Draw heavy black lines on the outer edges of your old clothes. Add details like wrinkles and folds.
  2. Draw (or print out) comic book bubbles with you own personal funnies. Cut around the edges.
  3. Do your comic makeup! I viewed old Lichtenstein comics as a guide. I used a wig on myself to be more dramatic, but it's not necessary.

This is one of the best costumes I have seen in a long time. It looks great and what fun!

To make this costume, start with a white kitchen trash bag. Cut a hole at the top for the child's head and one on either side for their arms.

For the pupil, we hot glued a paper plate painted black to the center of the front side of the trash bag.

For the iris, we used slightly crumpled green Saran Wrap, also hot glued to the trash bag. Optional red streaks were made with red mylar from a leftover birthday balloon, but could be made with red permanent marker.

Dress the child in either a white or black sweatsuit (we went with white for better visibility at night). An adult can help the child put the bag over their head, then stuff with newspaper and tie the bag closed around the child's waist. A thrifty and fun costume guaranteed to be a hit!

Source: Our son's imagination and Mom and Dad's creative execution!

By Chris from Williamstown, NJ

What a "spooky" idea! Eyeballs are great for Halloween. I like to make eyeballs to hang from my trees.

vguy Earle, AR

Man in Housewife costume

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

Halloween is fast approaching! Here are some easy and inexpensive Halloween costumes for adults and children alike, using sweat suits and stuff you have laying around the house.

This is a clever and inexpensive Halloween costume, great for adults! When my daughter-in-law was pregnant, that presented a bigger challenge. My creative son came up with a really clever idea for their costumes that year.

My company allows us to dress up at Halloween, but it's difficult to find costumes that are family-appropriate and don't hinder movement. One year I made a big splash for less than $10!

Halloween Taffy and Candy Corn

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

There are a few kid-friendly costumes that can be made from items in your home. You'll find that for an adult or child's costume you won't need to spend a fortune or search the town for the pieces for these costumes.

Cut top and bottom out of box. Slide over stroller and tie or tape in place so seat of stroller is inside box. Tie or tape stuffed cats and kittens inside box so that they are looking over side.

Go to Office Max and get a pack of the "Hello, My Name is __________" stickers. Fill them out with various names and put all over your clothing.

When I was a little girl my mother made a simple but pretty costume with the taffeta skirt of one of her old dresses.

A list of last minute Halloween Costumes for the little ones.