Quilt Photos

Category Quilting
Patchwork quilt in blue florals.
Sharing your quilting crafts through photos not only immortalizes them but also can provide inspiration to other quilters. This page contains quilt photos.

I made this quilt quite awhile ago, in the late 80s. It is entirely handmade. I cut the hexagons for each colored flower and strung them on thread in little stacks, to keep the pieces for each block together.

I worked on this project quite a bit during my lunch hour and on a vacation driving trip. I hand stitched the hexagons together and saved the completed flowers. Once they were all made, I then hand pieced the quilt top.

The embroidered flower details were added after the layers were basted. I used a quilting stitch stencil and marked the pattern on the center hexagon.

The final quilting, also hand done, was a simple 1/4 inch outline stitch around all of the full and partial hexagons.

The only machine sewing was when I attached the binding.

The quilt covers a king size bed with a bit of a drape. The DH, to this day still thinks I was crazy. But we both love the quilt.

By Barbara from Bremerton, WA

Blue Jeans Quilts don't have to look like they are made from old blue jeans. I made this one using a purchased panel from Walmart and different colored old jeans plus some beads and a fleece backing to make this Indian style quilt for my sister.

Indian Blue Jeans Quilt

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

This is more of a "don't do this" craft tip. I used some transfer sheets from a local source to print out the pictures and frames for this bookcase uilt. They were the type that are fabric on top with a backing that glues the piece down when you iron it. These are NOT washable! The photos and frames were ruined when washed and I had to remove every one of them from the quilt and do them over. The 2nd set was sealed with an acrylic sealer so that the quilt could be hung on the wall and the photos protected somewhat but it is still not washable. You can see the original before it was washed on webshots. Please save yourself a ton of work and make sure your photo transfers are washable before you use them in a quilt.

By busybee1952 from White Cloud, MI

Several years ago I picked up a huge piece of material, the size of a twin bed, with a football field and player on it. My grandson has loved to spread it on the floor and have his own football game on it. For his 6th birthday I thought it was time to put it together as a quilt that he could have for himself.

I bought cotton quilt batting and a sheet and quilted it by using the marked lines on the field as a pattern to go by. This I did by machine. I cut small slits and stuffed the player to give him dimension. A very simple project but a quilt he will cherish until his teenage years.

By Sharon, KY

My daughter's name is Amanda and I wanted her quilt to be special just for her. So I made her an "A quilt". She loves animal prints. Again cutting a ton of strips in many different colors I sewed them together to make the "A". Using an old blanket for the batting and a black full sized sheet for the backing. She loves it and while we were watching "Extreme Home Makeover" on night, I asked each of my four children what they would NEED to take from our home if we were the family on TV that had a home makeover, she replied..."my A-quilt, Mom" : )

By Tracey

This is the second quilt I made. For this one I used some of my kids old clothing...most she bought for them :). I cut them into squares and purchased a dark blue sheet for the back. It's a quilt made by her first born with her grandbabies clothes in it.

Two quilts.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

You can use recycled jeans to make a fabulous quilt! The entire background of this Eagle Quilt was made from recycled blue jeans. Bleach, acrylic paints, and different colored jeans make up the landscape and the whole thing was quilted by free motion.

By Busybee1952 from White Cloud, MI

Quilt made from recycled jeans.

Comment Like this photo? 9

I am very proud to have this quilt made by my mother (who has passed away) when she was 12 years old. I am sure that the blocks were mail ordered and she worked very hard to complete the quilt. Each block is a story in the Old Testament with a picture of the story. Then the last block is her name and when she made it (1927).

Source: My mother's loving hands.

By Elaine

View of full quilt.

Comment Like this photo? 11

We have just started quilting, the first one didn't come out the way we thought it would, but still had a lot of raves from family members. They also commented that they would make excellent gifts. The first one is just old material that we had around the house, except the white squares are left from daughters wedding dress. She was delighted with her birthday present.

The next one was a bigger project as son loves NY Yankees, so we made a pattern from a picture of Yankee Stadium which he was thrilled with his birthday present.

By granylou93

Comment Like this photo? Yes