Directions for Painting Countertops

I just finished creating faux granite countertops and I'm so thrilled! It was easy and the total cost for each countertop was about $70. Here's what I did:

1. Using an orbit sander I lightly sanded the laminate countertop.
  2. I then wiped it dry and applied a coat of primer.
  3. Once dry I applied a water based base coat. In my case I used Behr Adobe Straw which is what my walls are painted.
  4. When they were dry I sprayed Krylon "Make it Stone" in the 2nd to last dark grey. The color wasn't named.
  5. Let it dry for 5 - 7 hours then spray it again and let it dry 5 - 7 hours. It will now look and feel a bit like concrete.
  6. Lastly I mixed and applied Rustoleum Stone Effects Step 3 clear coat for kitchen countertops. It goes on like warm honey and is goopy and gooey but read the instructions and follow them and it will work out great.
  7. Make sure you have previously totally encased your cabinets below and floor in plastic. You don't want this stuff dripping on them. I didn't do this the first time and ended up having to sand and repaint the cabinets.
  8. Use a 4 inch foam brush to push and move around the clear coat just as if you were icing a cake. Slide it over the edge and use another one to catch the drips and push them up on the side.
  9. Smooth the clear coat well then leave it alone. Don't touch or do anything to it for 24 hours. Then do a 2nd coat. Any mistakes or bubbles will just be covered over. I messed up on my second coat so ended up doing a 3rd. It looks beautiful and is super thick and durable.

Rustoleum says the clear coat is heat resistant but I wouldn't put a hot pot on it. I don't think it would hurt it but it might go cloudy. Just use a hot pad. If you're in a situation like me where my countertops were shot it's worth a try. Even if it only lasts a couple years. It's worth it.

I started to do this project, after sanding (with a sander) I gave up. The dust and mess is unbelievable. Covering the formica with luan is much cleaner and easier, and then go from there with numerous options!

I am wondering if I want a concrete look and feel, could I stop at that point and not put the Rustoleum finish on it. Any thoughts?

painting a countertop
Painting a Laminate Counter Top
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
painted formica countertops
Painting a Formica Countertop
Nice Countertops
Protecting Your Countertops
Tile Countertops
Installing Tile Countertops