Ragdoll Breed Information and Photos

Category Cat Breeds
A large, impressive-looking cat breed with a luxurious medium-long coat that looks like a large plush toy with a plumed tail. This page contains ragdoll breed information and photos.

Breed Description: This is a large, impressive-looking breed with a luxurious medium-long coat and long flowing lines. Other than looking like a large plush toy with a plumed tail, Ragdolls do not have any particularly distinguishing physical features. They are medium to large cats that are slow to mature and long-lived. They have a natural fat pat on their abdomen regardless of their weight and trusting, docile personalities.

History & Origin: The Ragdoll was developed in California in 1963 from crossing sturdy, free-roaming domestic longhairs of unknown descent. The foundation cat, Josephine, had a particularly gentle and loving nature. The originator of the breed, Ann Baker, was a gifted breeder known for recognizing potential in the cats she found and had a clear sense of what she was trying to accomplish through breeding them.

Character & Temperament: This is a gentle breed. They are good with children as they are slow to anger and will seldom use their claws. They do not tend to be jumpers, but rather remain on the floor. Ragdolls love people and are well behaved and eager to please. They have soft voices and are not very vocal. They retain their kitten-like nature as adults and continue to be playful into old age. They are sometimes called 'puppycats' and make wonderful companions, especially for those living alone.

Color: Ragdolls have four distinctive coat patterns: pointed, mitted, bicolor, and van, and within each of these patterns are 6 different colors.

Coat Type: Moderately long, plush, and soft to the touch.

Grooming: Ragdolls are good about grooming and maintaining their own coats. They shed very little and have few problems with hairballs. Most enjoy being groomed daily, but it is not necessary to maintain their coats. Claws should be trimmed and ears cleaned only when necessary.

Health Considerations: This is a hardy breed with no known breed-specific problems.

Trivia: Ragdoll kittens tend to have one or more explosive bursts of growth, but their growth patterns are completely unpredictable. They may reach their full size quickly and then stop growing or stop for a year or two and then start growing again. They can take up to 4 years to mature.

What a beauty! My brother had a similar looking cat named Spencer.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

A ragdoll grey and white cat with blue eyes.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 16

Gizmo was an 11 year old "Ragdoll". My youngest son brought him home when his friends cat had kittens back in 1999. We lost our beloved Gizmo due to kidney problems back in January of this year.

Gert a 6 year old Ragdoll (lilac bi-color). We adopted Gert from a Ragdoll cattery in IL.

She loves to watch the birds out the window in the mornings. She was named after my beloved late Grandmother Gertrude.

By susluvsvintage

White cat.

Comment Like this photo? 7

She's a beauty. I did some research on Ragdoll cats and decided when I my health can no longer deal with a dog (my favorite pet), I'll be glad to get a rag doll cat as their character traits are much like dogs in that they anxiously greet when you come home and are easy maintenance cats for being long hair types. And they're gorgeous!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Nemo is a 7 month old ragdoll tabby. My little cat Tiffany turned up pregnant at the beginning of 2011 and gave birth to 3 kittens, 2 of which live elsewhere, by the names of Dory and Fishstick.

Nemo gets very excited twice a day and loves to play with people more than other cats. He is often found playing alone with small toy-like items, skittering around in the bedroom and bathroom. He is a very happy little cat despite a mild respiratory problem he has had from birth. Nemo races in and out of the bedroom, climbs atop the task chair and bounces off the bed until his breathing difficulty forces him to rest.

He is also a little nipper, like a puppy or a fish "biting" for food. He has a beautiful fur coat that is soft and creamy. Today he is as big as his own mama, Tiffany. Nemo is a charming and alarming young cat.

By Jazzmin Flower from Alta Loma, CA

Nemo the Ragdoll Tabby Cat

Comment Like this photo? 7

Cute Kitty! I have a ragdoll type tabby too, golden tan in color, with big amber eyes. There is an older golden tiger striped tabby male who acts as his adopted father in our house, grooming, wrestling and reprimanding him. This older one had a respiratory problem as a kitten. I enjoyed your picture and story about Nemo.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

dog and cat snuggling

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

This is Peanut, a 13 year old Miniature Schnauzer, and Ma Chat, a 6 year old Blue-Point Mitted Ragdoll cat. They both came from breeders when babies.

Cat.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is Gizmo. He is 8 years old and a Ragdoll. I got Gizmo when he was 7 weeks old from my son's friend whose cat had kittens.