Raising Ducks as Pets

Category Birds
Holding a baby duck in hands.
Ducks make great outdoor pets. They are social, intelligent, and can be trained to play games and with toys. They also can be raised for their eggs. This is a guide about raising ducks as pets.

This is Willie and Daffy's outdoor playpen. They can spend some time out here under supervision and get some nice sunshine.

This guide is about incubating duck eggs. If you don't have a broody mother duck, an incubator can help you hatch poultry eggs.

Baby ducks hatching in an incubator

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a duck pond. Raising backyard fowl is becoming quite popular. If you choose to have ducks they will need a some type of pond.

Making a Duck Pond

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have 3 baby ducks, well they're getting pretty big. They are Peking ducks. They're starting to turn white. Right now I'm keeping them in the house. I put them out in the day as long as the weather is good. I baby them a lot.

When I bathe them, they get an odd smell not a really bad odor. Do you think it's OK to bathe them? Also I feed them scrambled eggs with tomatoes and warm oatmeal and I started baking eggshells for them. I've tried scratch feed, but they don't like it.

When they first hatched, I got some medicated scratch feed. I asked the saleslady 3 times if it was OK to feed them this food she told me yes. Well my biggest duck's neck was growing sideways, so I did some research, which I should of done at first. I found out not to give medicated food. I stopped the medicated food and now he's fine. So do you think I'm feeding them a good diet? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated?

By Melissa from Cleveland, TN

I have raised a lot of ducks and the one thing they love is water.They have a oil duct on top of their tail and after they swim they will groom themselves. It you watch they will rub their head over the tail. They don't shed water until they grow out their feathers. What you smell is wet feathers. Mix their food with water to make a wet mash. Ducks are messy eaters.

We keep chickens and ducks. l mother them. I'm afraid their favourite food is cooked pasta, mashed spud, grated carrot and fruit. I give them fruit etc from the shop with expired dates on them so they don't tend to eat my flowers or vegetables. I also give them a daily mix of layers mash and duck food. Water is very important! I have a medium size pond plus various containers all round the garden with clean water which are changed daily. They all know the sound of the back door and run to it for our morning chat before following me to the food area for breakfast. I love keeping them.

Anonymous

I am confused as to why you are feeding them scrambled eggs. My ducks eat fresh dandelion, over ripe plums, pears, blueberries, grain mix and other things like slugs, worms, insects.

We bought duck eggs of eBay; 3 hatched. They told us the eggs where, call ducks. They are 3 weeks old now. Could you tell me if they are call ducks?

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Your Pet's Age
2 months old

Your Pet's Breed
Duck

How and when did you get your pet?
Back in the springtime, around the end of April I was on our boat dock fishing. I looked under our picnic table and saw a single egg, just sitting there all alone on the dock. It was if the mother duck just hopped up on the dock, laid an egg and left! My teenage girls are very active in their high school FFA program (Future Farmers of America). They took the egg to school the next day and placed it in the incubator with some other duck and chicken eggs that were being hatched. I wasn't even sure if the egg was viable, but I figured it was worth seeing if anything would hatch out. After about 2 weeks my daughter sent me a text message from school telling me our egg had hatched and we were now the proud parents of a baby duckling. We brought our duckling home with a buddy (they do better in pairs) and had everything we needed to care for them until they were big enough to venture out onto the lake as adult ducks. We live right on Lake Norman so they would have plenty of room to swim. After about 2 months the baby ducks had grown into full sized ducks. They would waddle around in the yard, eating bugs and grass eventually taking to the lake to swim. It has been a joy to watch these creatures grow. From one little lone abandoned egg to a full grown duck (plus a duck friend).

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
There are several other domestic ducks living in our lake cove, I hope they will all become buddies!

Comment Like this photo? 3