Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Raising Girls

Although parenting girls and boys have many similarities, there are important differences to understand. This guide is about raising girls.

As a mom to a bunch of daughters, I have learned a few clothing tips. Most of my daughters are tall. I have found that I get the best buy in the men's department. The men's and boy's shirt sleeves and torsos are longer. So, modesty and warmth are not an issue, as they are covered, regardless if it is a t-shirt, jacket, flannel shirt, or sweater.

Boys t-shirts and undershirts come in a 3 pack, often for the same price as buying a single t-shirt or under shirt in the women's dept. If it isn't fancy enough, add something like an iron-on to "girlie it up"

I noticed that the bulk white socks are cheaper in the men's department and have more in the package. During the winter, no one is going to see the girl's socks anyway.

By mom-from-missouri from NW MO

I am an adult and I still prefer men's jeans to women's. They fit better and look better on me. Many of my T-shirts come from the men's department too. No one can tell the difference by looking at them, the styles are so similar these days. I say, you go girl!

August 27, 2005 Flag

It's a real eye opening experience! You have boys and realize there's not a lot that you can relate to as far as "Boy Stuff." And then comes the daughter. Now this is familiar GROUND! I'd like to offer a few tips to mothers about raising daughters and keeping a right mind. As I've said before, I am certainly no expert, but I can almost certainly guarantee that before they are grown and gone, most mothers will face these situations.

1. To bring up a responsible young lady and future wife and mother, PLEASE, for her sake, give a girl homemaking responsibilities. It's all a part of a woman's lot in life and she will eventually have to face it or reject it. I'd love to know how many times I've heard wives and mothers say they wished THEIR mother had made them take on the responsibility of dishwashing and housework. The desire to keep a clean house doesn't just come with age. It is taught and we as moms are the teachers. Your future son-in-law will thank you in years to come.

2. If your beautiful young daughter chooses to play ball instead cheerleading, don't discourage her by insisting she do "girl things" instead. Playing ball teaches children respect, good sportsmanship and teamwork, all good values which will follow her down through life. Being part of a TEAM teaches a girl that the world doesn't revolve around her alone. And moms really DO tend to overpamper little girls.

3. Let her decide what her hobbies and interests will be, within reasonable limits. Because you think she's beautiful and would someday be a great MODEL, don't push her into the pageant scene unless she has a real desire to do so. I have friends who have literally packed up and moved to further their daughter's careers in modeling. Know what? To this day neither young lady has a desire to go through it again and the expenses inflicted on their family by mom's fantasies are enormous. For her sake, don't try to live out your desires through your daughter. It isn't fair.

4. The years prior to the onset of puberty in a Daughter are hard years to live with a girl. Hormones go crazy and emotions run high. She will cry at the drop of a pin, and in those years you can become the "ENEMY". If you can live with it until she reaches 16, it gets better. Believe it or not! By 18-19, she realizes that Mom wasn't actually her ENEMY after all and you actually become friends. In the stressful years, always keep the doors of communication open. Talk to her about what's going on in her life. If you listen most girls will talk and ask for your advice.

5. No matter how many life experiences and heartbreak stories you share with your daughter in hopes that they will not make the same mistakes, mothers can't shield their girls forever. Most will listen respectfully, but you can't prevent them from learning on their own. That's just part of becoming a woman. Someday she too will realize what this strange thing called MOTHERHOOD is all about.

By Sharon Shearer

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks for the great advice! I have three girls and the first is about to become a teenager. You are absolutely right - I do pamper them and don't make them do enought housework! I am going to start working on that right away!

Parenting General Parenting AdviceJune 26, 2012
A girl with a mohawk.
Mohawks on Girls
Little Girl in Cheerleader Costume
Making a Cheerleader Costume
Grandparent with Granddaughter
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
Credit Report on Table
Raising Your Credit Score
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 3:22:56 PM on 10.0.2.34 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.