BusinessBusiness and Legal

Rates for Cleaning Empty Apartments

Category Business

I clean these apartments when people move out. They are 1 and 2 bedroom units. The condition they are left in is horrible, the stove and refrigerator alone takes hours to clean. The ceiling fans are so greasy that you have to scrub them with degreaser. I was charging $100.00 for the 2 and $90.00 for the 1. Also if additional time was spent on stove or frige I would charge $20.00 extra. Well they thought it was too much. Could you tell me what is a reasonable price? It would take two people around 4 hours to clean.

By Ronda E

Best Answer

I think your rates are very reasonable. I assume that people who live with this sort of grubbiness have no idea how to look after an apartment, and also know nothing of how much time it takes to clean things or how much one should pay an efficient cleaner. If you are working for the landlords, you should consider that he has likely charged at least a month's rent as a damage deposit (some even require two!), and they pay for this extra cleaning out of the damage deposit. I'm not sure if that is strictly legal, but I know it is done, and the dirt you describe is certainly "damage".

Here in this area, I have a friend who does cleaning and charges $20 an hour. I personally feel this is a little steep, but that is what people are paying here. Our minimum wage here is about 10.50 an hour. I would pay about $15 an hour for an adult, efficient cleaner, when I provided the equipment and cleaning supplies, and no heavy lifting or extraordinary filth were involved.

Best Answer

Home cleaning is something many people try to do. So there is almost always someone who will do it cheaper. I did it for many years, and learned a lot. Your prices are reasonable. I live in a high cost of living area and I charged $30 an hour. I got very picky about who I worked for. It took awhile to get to that point and there was a time when I took whatever I could get. Build your reputation and you will always have customers you can feel good about. You need to lose these characters. I suspect they are not inclined to work for $10 an hour, but happy to ask you to. Remind people that cleaning is hard physical labor. It is hard to work more than 5 hours a day. That was my limit. Good luck to you.

Please consider charging by the hour? $30 - $35 per person per hour isn't unreasonable and it's what I pay my service to come in once a month to take care of such basics as vacuuming, cleaning the bathrooms, scrubbing floors and other tasks which arise (including the oven and fridge every two - three months). I've looked at other companies and their rate is competitive. Plus they do a great job. If you're proud of the quality of your work, by all means charge for it. Please.

Regards,

Rose Anne (in Canada)

Sorry but that is a fair price.These managers should be ashamed of themselves not wanting to pay!