ColoringHair Tips

Re-dyeing Hair After Bleaching

I have recently gone to a hair dresser to have my hair dyed a wonderful gray. However, she didn't have my hair to the lightest it needed to be for it to take and hold the gray. So now I have a lot of blonde/yellow showing through the gray after just two washes! I'm wondering if I could just dye my hair gray over the previous gray to avoid bleaching again for a while, or do I need to just start over and go through the bleaching process again? Please help!

Go back and make her fix it!

High fashion blonds, platinums and silvers, require that the hair be pre bleached to the pale yellow stage. There are two reasons this is necessary. First, the toners which are applied to the bleached hair have a blue, violet or blue/violet base. If not enough yellow is removed in the bleaching process, the residual yellow and the blue/violet of the toner could result in green.

The second reason is that toners are very delicate colors. If the hair is not bleached to the correct stage of pale yellow, the hair will not have the proper porosity to 'accept' the toner. The toner is deposited only to the outside of the cuticle and will quickly be shampooed away. The toner must penetrate through the hair cuticle to get a lasting color.

Also know that since toners are very delicate, they can be stripped from the hair even if proper penetration is achieved. This would be the result of using a shampoo that is not designed for bleached and toned hair. Also, keep in mind that excessive exposure to sunlight can fade these delicate toners.

Recoloring you hair with a grey color will not solve your problem. It will only temporarily cover the yellow.

The hair must be bleached again to bring it up to the color manufacturer's suggested stage of pale yellow and porosity, and then the 'grey' toner reapplied.

It seems that your hair was bleached to almost the needed degree of 'lightness'. Your second visit to the salon should take only a portion of the time required on the first visit.

Once you achieve the desired color, be sure to use a shampoo specifically designed for bleached and toned hair. The best colorist in the world cannot guarantee the toner will last til time for a bleach and tone retouch, if you use a shampoo at home that can strip color.

For what it's worth: You should not have to pay for having the bleach and tone corrected, only for the shampoo and set (if in fact you do get a shampoo and set (or blow dry or whatever).

Anonymous

I think you will get different tones of grey but over all could be effective be a devil go for it