Read What Is Interesting to You

When I was a tutor, I coaxed reluctant readers with reading material keyed to their interest(s). A teen girl might like a fan magazine or the entertainment section of the newspaper. A boy might like Sports Illustrated or the newspaper sports page (my brother learned to read that way). Boys also like sports, action, dinosaurs, and adventure, while girls like fashion, celebrities, beauty, romance. You can even start a kid off by reading the comic pages of the newspaper then classic comics or graphic novels. The short format is a lot less intimidating!

By pamphyila from Los Angeles, CA

I was able to get both my children, a boy and a girl, hooked on reading by reading easy reader mysteries to them when they were young. Both sexes like a good mystery. Of course I asked them questions about the story as I read. My son is 20 and my daughter is 12 and they both love reading all types of things, but mysteries still remain there favorites!

Great point. Hubby always said he preferred King Arthur and swashbucking tales over anything else. I was always what you'd call an "omnivorous" reader. An older sister still teases me about my reading her encyclopedias during a visit. If I couldn't get anything else, I'd read the Cheerios box, lol!

Picture of a child reading a book on the grass.
Getting Children to Read for Fun
Parenting General Parenting AdviceJuly 8, 2011
Woman Dealing with Broken Down Car
Buying an Extended Car Warranty
MOther and Father Reading with young CHildren
Teaching Toddlers to Read
Buying an eBook Reader, Someone using an eBook reader.
Buying an eBook Reader