Readers Digest Magazine Christmas Trees

As a child we used to make Christmas trees for table centerpieces using Readers Digest magazines. Does anyone remember how to do these?

By Lori

I recall a craft involving turning the pages over, folding one page over and then the next page-folding the page up from the bottom. I do not remember how many magazines it took to make one. But when all the pages are folded this way and the magazines are put next to one another (it takes more than one) then it looks like a tree. I am not sure how the point goes. I remember them being sprayed with golden type spray paint.

I hope that some of this helps.

Robyn

Yes, it's super easy. You just fold each page the same way. Start from the top corner and fold it to the binding, crease it. Then take the bottom part of the page and only fold it to the point of the top fold. It will make a point leaving the bottom of the book flat. When you finish folding all the pages the same way, open it all the way and glue the back and cover together; it will stand on it's flat bottom. We use to spray paint them silver, white, or gold, and make angel wings, (glued them near the top) then put a dolls head on top. Voila!! You have a Reader's Digest Angel or Christmas Tree. Have fun!

We did this in grade school too, following the directions other posters have given below.

We also made choir boys and girls by folding just the top half of the page to the binding, then we glued a piece of cardboard cut to the shape of the back of the magazine. We spray painted it red, folded a paper doily in half and glued it at what would be the neck area of the top for the traditional looking collar, the finally glued a big wood bead with a simple magic marker face on the very top for heads-seems we used yarn to make hair for choir girls. One issue per singer.

I've seen the singer's heads done with small styrofoam balls, but you have to paint those all over or they look very strange. :)

Here is a link that shows how to fold them:

http://www.readersdigest.com.au/make-a-christmas-tree

HTH

Cathy

Here is also a snowman and a Mr. and Mrs Santa:

http://www.santalady.com/crafts/foldedmag/

Have fun!

Cathy

We made choir singers. Folded the top corner down to binding. Then folded the outside straight edge into the binding. This made for straight sides rather than fat Santa shapes. Folded every page the same. Then glued a paper doily over the top for a collar and added a Styrofoam ball for the head and yarn for hair. I don't remember what was done for arms but I would insert two arm shapes and let them hold a book in front. They were very cute.

The trees were made the same as in directions from starxmn.

Have fun making these.

Here's a link to explain how:

http://www.rd.com/home/craft-a-chri ... e-from-your-readers-digest-magazine/

The spray-painting uses a lot of paint, just an FYI. Fun to do though, I've done the tree and the angels over the years!

Tree made from magazine pages
Recycled Magazine Christmas Tree
Crafts ChristmasMay 31, 2011
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans
Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
Growing Mimosa Trees
🎉
🎄