Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits

Applying for Social Security disability can be a long involved process that you may need some help with. This is a guide about receiving social security disability benefits.

I'm the father of a 8yr old and I don't work; I'm disabled. So she gets SS monthly, but it goes directly to her mom. We're not together, but recently my 8yr old has told me that her mom keeps telling her that she's not going to get money for her anymore and keeps holding the money from her. When she asks for stuff she says no. I keep telling her that she still is getting money so that if she needs anything to ask her mom, but she keeps telling her the same thing. I have brought it up to her mom and she say it's not true. She just got a new truck and I feel that she is using the money on it. Is there anything I can do like, report her?

Please be very careful as when separated (not divorced?) parents have children, there are many times cases of misunderstood "happenings".

First - are you receiving SSDI or SSD? Is this the reason your daughter is receiving benefits? A qualifying parent can also receive a check, (not if from SSI) usually until the child is 16 years (but many times checks can stop at an earlier age).

So you can see there are many variables to consider (and these are only a few of them).

You can take your daughter to your local Social Security office and ask your questions and they can explain how the money is supposed to be used as it it for the care and support of the child and the mother is required to submit reports as to how the money is used.

Perhaps you and your daughter feel the money is for her to use but this is only partially true. You need to visit your SS office and get your answers as this is not a good thing for you and your daughter to be discussing without the correct knowledge about these benefits.

That money should be spent on your daughter. I would report it to Social Security. The mother might have to account for the money

I had 1 SSN# from 1972 to 1996. I got new card with a change of birth year and my name changed, and place of birth to get away from my abusive husband who wanted to kidnap my child and take out of country. Now I am disabled and getting disability. The SSA cut my check by $500 monthly and wants proof of pay stubs or W2 from 1972 to 1986. I have tried the SSA and the employment office and others. What do you suggest? Oh, where I worked for 12 years 1972-1986 is no longer in business and the owners are deceased. Can you help me?

By Sonia

Answer Was this helpful? 1

SSA should already have this information in their database. Luckily so does the IRS - you need to fill out a request form for duplicate W-2s for the years SSA claims they can't source.

(link to IRS page follows my info, you may need to click around the IRS site to be sure this is the most up-to-date info)

There is a box to tick on the IRS forms requesting duplicate W-2s asking if the applicant has ever done a numbers/name/DOB change. Locate that box (which is hard to find and easy to miss, frankly, so go over the form with a magnifying glass!).

As I recall, there used to be a space for the old number/name/etc to be listed and I'm fairly certain it's still on the form. So fill in the requested information, and follow the directions on the form as to how to submit it to make it possible for the IRS to find your old W-2s and replicate them for you in hard copy.

Emailed pdf's may now be available as well but if email duplicate W-2s are offered, first check to be sure SSA will accept a pdf or print-out of a pdf before accepting emailed duplicates - some authorities won't take pdf print-outs because it's so easy to fake the things.

Hey presto, you should have your replicated info within 90 days, and can then continue on with the SSA. Best of luck to you!

http://www.irs.  re-is-What-to-Do

@Cybergrannie - actually, many people quite legally change their SSI information - domestic violence victims, Witness Protection participants, adoptees, etc. The SSA and law enforcement work together on these case all the time.

A careful re-read of the original question tells us the writer is a domestic violence survivor and she had to have gone through the legal steps to do what has been done.

Her situation now is thanks to the SSA being their typical bureaucratic selves with the SSA agent having little to no interest in providing this woman with the information she needs and the agent should be willing and happy to provide, btw, in an effort to assist the person needing help.

So, not a case of someone committing a crime and asking us how to do an end-run.

I filed for disability a while back and have not been granted it just yet. I have listed many doctors and hospitals or facilities I have been to, but for some reason they have not got in touch with those doctors because when they mail be back saying I can appeal and all that it tells me who was asked and if anything was sent.

Anyhow my main problems are mental issues, but I so have some physical problems also. My question is, how can I win this? I have tried finding a lawyer, but I don't have the funds. I can't work and that sucks. It's not fun staying home all day doing nothing. The friends I do have all have jobs and they can't hang out while they work. I just wish I had some way to take care of myself because my grandma is paying for my food and such. Is there a way I can win by myself?

get a written statement fro each of the Drs as to your disability and send in with your appeal.

The lawyers do not require a fee up front. They take a percentage if and when you get approved for disability. They go back to when you first became ill and pay you from then, so the 1st check will be big and the lawyer will take his share from that. My daughter's lawyer didn't even take his share out. I guess he felt sorry for her.

I am currently receiving Social Security disability benefits. Is my child eligible to receive monthly benefits?

By Mike

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You can go to the Welfare Dept. & get Food Stamps or (SNAP) benefits as well; depending on how much your check is monthly & possibly a check for your child. No harm in trying. I'm on SSI & get Food Stamps-(SNAP) but my kids are grown & out on their own. Good Luck & God Bless You.

Yes, your children can receive benefits while they are minors. Go to your local social security office and take the child's birth certificate with you (do NOT mail it no matter what they tell you!). Ask if they will go back and pay for the previous 6 months. That's what happened with my kids.

My daughter's biological father received SSI Disability. If the courts relinquish his parental rights, will she still receive benefits?

By Mary

No she would not receive anything. She would no longer be his child legally or his responsibility.

We do not have the full picture/facts to offer any answer.

Is the father deceased?

Who now has full custody?

Was this an adoption?

You should talk to an agent at your social security office for a correct answer - but if you are not satisfied with the answer then you may need an attorney. Usually an attorney will give a free consultation to ascertain if you have a case.

My son turned 16 in March. I was getting mother's benefits for him. In November I got a letter from Social Security saying that I would lose the benefits if he is not disabled. I made a disabled claim in November. They said that was all I needed to do.

Well I lost a check in March, so I called Social Security. They said, now I need a proof letter from his doctor saying that he needs full time care. They did not tell me that for 5 months and they did not tell me they declared him disabled.

By Bonnie

Only the Social Security Administration can answer your questions. You can find some information via their website but should have all of your questions answered by visiting their local office.

Whether or not your son needs full time care would probably depend on the type of disability that he has. I have an adult mentally handicapped daughter who has been receiving disability since she was 18 and she is now 46. Every now and then I receive a letter/questionaire that I have to fill out about her disability. She even received disability when she was working part time.

She doesn't need full time care, but at this time I help her with paying her bills/budgeting, etc. Eventually she will receive the same help from a case manager, other than that she is capable of living alone. I know lots of mentally disabled people that live alone, I also know people with physical disabilities that live alone, some of them need a part time care giver, to help them in and out of the shower, and to get ready for bed and into bed, then to get them up and ready for the day, but other than that they are capable of living alone.

My guess is that is what SS wants to know. They probably also want to know if your son attends any type of educational facility.

I am the youngest of 13 kids from my mother and father, and my father had one child from another woman he never married. I am 25, unmarried and the child, my brother, is 15.

My father is dying and I am in the process of filling out a disability application. My father's name isn't on my little brother's birth certificate. My father isn't feeling too well to go to the courts for the petition papers. Would it matter if I put his name on the application or not since his name isn't on the birth certificate? If my father doesn't make it in to sign the petition of paternity papers, can he, still receive benefits?

By lala loopsy

You'll need to do this very quickly - step one is to videotape your father claiming your half-brother as his flesh and blood son.

Step two is to get an attorney moving quickly to petition the court to have your dad recognised and the birth certificate amended. He/she can use the tape to prove your father was of sound mind, etc, and trying to sort out a sad family situation before his passing.

Step three is to thank-God your dad is a good enough man to be trying to sort this before he dies. Many don't.

I'm praying for your family to be strengthened during this very difficult time.

If someone is on Social Security disability in the state of Virginia, when they die does the widow have the option of getting his income as opposed to hers? I know some women get their husband's benefits, but does that apply to Social Security disability as well?
Thanks for taking the time to answer this question.

By Kateland

Also, a widow cannot collect her husband's SS when she is 60 unless the couple were married nine years.

Anonymous

Lilac, it's so very nice of you to defend Foxrun but what was upsetting to some of us is what he/she wrote when could have simply said to call Social Security for the answer. The way it was written quite possibly made Kateland feel stupid for even asking the question and that is not helpful and kind of mean :-( Yes, incorrect information is sometimes given here but it's at least enough to direct the person asking the question to some sort of ideas for them to think about and try.

I know sometimes what I write can seem harsh to others but do try to consider the feelings of the person asking and try hard to temper those words at least with details of what 'might' possibly be good for them to try as if talking face to face with them like one would do with a family member, friend or next door neighbor. We all have our own opinions and none of us are perfect but in my heart one sentence written in judgement and irritation to a complete stranger reaching out for help is kind of mean and so impersonal.

The father of my daughter applied for and is receiving Social Security disability. We never married, but we live together we have been going through rough times and it's time to separate. Our daughter is 3. When he started receiving benefits they told him that our daughter is eligible. Well we are just waiting for the check. My question is now that we are separating who gets the money?

By Tania

Call your local Social Security Office and find out from them.

Yep. They are the only ones' who know. We can guess but you need facts. You can also go to socialsecurity.gov and put in what you are needing. Good luck.

Does my SS Disability check increase after my children turn 18 and the family benefit expires? My children were able to receive minimal family benefits from my disability claim. They have both turned 18 and are no longer eligible. Will my monthly check now absorb what was previously paid to them, since there is no one else eligible to make a claim off my SS number?

Talk to your local Social Security Office to find out the right answer.

You should go to your Social Security office and find out correct answers - but - I do not believe your check will increase.

Every case is different so go to your Social Security Office and put your mind at ease.

I am about to apply for Social Security Disability. In my mind, I have been eligible for 12 years, but have continually been turned down. The head of the heart transplant team at LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City even sent a letter saying I had to have a transplant or I would die. (I did improve so that the transplant was not necessary). But I still can't work enough to earn a living. Do you have any tips for me on how to meet their requirements and document my medical condition? I really need help! Thanks in advance!

Coreen

Make sure you are eligble. My ex was self emp for the last 5 years prior to his illness, so even though he is on a transplant waiting list and truely is disabled, he can not collect, neither can his children. All he can get is the ssi which is the low income benifit. He was told had he paid in while he was self employeed during the 5 years prior to his illness, he could have collected.

FYI, he did pay into it for over 30 years, but they told him they only look at the last 5.

Here's another resource that you may want to take a look at: http://www.jamesdisabilitylaw.com

They have a great deal of information on social security disability benefits and law.

My father past away when I was 11 years old from cancer. He was receiving benefits and it stopped when he passed. People would tell my mother that she could still receive benefits for the children (4 of us all underage), but she never went to apply.

We are all adults now and some say we can still ask for those benefits, kind of like back pay. I personally don't think we can just because we are all adults. Is there any truth to that?

By Marissa G

Call the Social Security Office and talk to them about it.

Actually being you are all adults I would think it would be your mother that would receive the back payments because she was the one that had the expense of raising you kids.

My mom has had SSDI for 8 years now. I've been disabled all of my life and currently recieve SSI, not SSDI since I've never been able to work. My mom and I both agreed that I should apply for benefits under her because Medi-Cal wasn't covering my needs like Medicare would.

I applied on April 2nd and was told I'd hear about it in a month. A month later I didn't hear from Social Security, but I did hear from my mom, complaining to me that they're going to garnish about $100 from her SSDI check. She didn't say anything else about it. My mom is extremely well, "money hungry". She has broken laws before in order to get more money for herself.

I tried calling SS office in my area and they told me they couldn't find anything in the system about it? Weird. I've left a few voicemails, but still haven't gotten a response. My question is, does my mom have the jurisdiction to deny me childrens' disability benefits? I was really hoping I can finally have my hip surgery so I can walk again
since Medi-Cal doesn't cover it, but now I'm not so sure. Any information is appreciated.

Only SSA can answer your questions. You should make an appointment with your local office and bring all paperwork etc. supporting your case.

My son was hit by a car last year and suffered a broken leg and major tissue loss to that leg. He is walking with a crooked leg and will need numerous surgeries in the future for the skin replacement. Does he qualify for disability?

I have a problem! I had a heart attack and back injuries in 2001. I was not able to return to work. I was told my a number of doctors. It took till 2006 for me to get SSDI benefits. Before I had SSDI Benefits I had a long term Insurance that I had though work.

Load More