Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

If a spouse or parent dies, you may be eligible for Social Security survivor benefits. This is a guide about receiving Social Security survivor benefits.

September 27, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about "Will my child receive SSI?". Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI) is typically awarded to children from low income families if they are blind or have disabilities.

Childs cupped hands holding coins

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 15, 2017 Flag

My mother passed away. I'm assuming her husband got the life insurance. There is some SSSI. Does that go to anyone? She had 3 kids, older and her husband of 18 years.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

https://www.the  -benefit-2388916 This site explains it well

December 27, 2016 Flag

Have a friend who is a grandmother raising her grandkids after her daughter has died of cancer. I was told the benefits could help her with paying bills and making sure the kids get what they need and want. Also, that the money can be used to pay the bills for their internet and TV, electric, and other bills. Is this correct? This friend wanted to know to make sure she was doing right?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have reread your question and I am wondering if it is possible that we are reading your question incorrectly?

Is the grandmother already receiving benefits and you (or your friend) are wondering if the grandmother is using the money properly?

Are you asking if these are the types of item that benefits should be used for?

If this is the case, then most of this information can be obtained in free SS pamphlets/or over the internet or anyone can ask general questions at their Social Security office (anonymously if desired).

February 15, 2014 Flag

My brother recently died and he has two children. Their mother receives their money now; she is not giving it to them. Can they switch it over to mother or I?

By KC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Are the kids minors? As a whole the money is intended to support them, not for them to spend on whatever they want. Furthermore, it isn't needed for actual support, how do you know their mother isn't saving it for college? This is something like child support, which is intended to help provide the necessities that a kid needs, not to let them have all kinds of fun with it. Talk to your local Social Security Office and see what they say.

December 7, 2016 Flag

Is there any way to get my Social Security survivor benefits sent to me since I am only seventeen, but I have a dependent?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

it is difficult to give any advice on situations that deal with Social Security Benefits as almost no two cases are alike - similar maybe - but just one item can change the whole answer.

That is the reason it is recommended that you visit your local SS office so you know you are getting the correct information/answers.

There are several questions you will probably have to answer:

1. Are you still in school?

2. Who is receiving your benefit check now?

And are they supplying you a place to live and food?

3. Is the dependent your child and who is caring and providing for this child now?

Be sure to carry any papers that may be relevant to the situation.

SS number for yourself, the dependent, and the person that your benefits are from.

You may also need proof of residence if different from the address where the check is now going.

September 6, 2016 Flag

My ex just passed away this week. He was disabled and was paying child support thru his Social Security payments for my 11 year old son. I am disabled as well, so my son gets a Social Security check based on my work record. Can someone explain the process now that the other parent is deceased? Will my son be able to get a check from his dad's Social Security now that he's deceased? Or will his support check from his dad's disability just stop. I am so confused right now. I plan to go to Social Security as soon as possible. I just wondered if anyone had similar experiences.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My son was only 10 when his father passed away 4 years ago. I had just been declared disabled 6 months prior to that and at that time my son was receiving a check off of my disability benefits. After his father passed I had to make an appointment at my local Social Security Office. At that appointment they required a ton of paperwork and legal documentation. Once they determined that he was eligible they looked up how much my son would receive in survivors benefits from his father's social security. They then compared that with how much he was receiving from my disability benefits and whichever amount was the highest is the one he got. Your child can only receive benefits from one parent at a time regardless of the situation. Also, there are several "qualifications" that have to be met in order for a child to receive survivors benefits from a deceased parent. Two of the main ones are that there has to be legal documentation showing that the deceased parent was in fact the child's parent (fathers name on child's birth certificate, if the fathers name is not on the birth certificate then they require proof of paternity, etc)...The 2nd is that the deceased parent has to have a certain number of "work credits" throughout a certain number of years. If they don't have enough of both then the child would not be eligible for survivors benefits. To be honest it's a real pain to have to deal with and go through it all but to get the survivor benefits for your child is worth it. Losing a parent is hard enough without having to raise a child on you own financially. I hope I've been of some help.

March 31, 2016 Flag

I was receiving Social Security benefits as a survivor after my father passed away. I recently turned 18 in March. I did not receive anything from work. Should I have received something for the month of March and do I get a lump sum?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Carolina - you would receive more answers if you start your own question instead of asking on someone's question.

I believe the only answer to your question is to ask at your local SS office.

It may be that you have to remain in school to receive benefits but you may be able to work part time.

Are you saying the benefits go to you or to your guardian/parent? Generally benefits are paid to the person responsible for your care (housing, food, clothing, etc.) and are paid as long as the child is in school (not college) but I do not believe they will pay past 19 years of age even if the individual is still in school.

November 2, 2016 Flag

I receive a survivor's check since my grandfather died and I was in his care at the time. I recently was adopted by my stepdad and now I have his last name. That was a few months before I turned 18. Now I get the check in my name and I need to change the last name on it.

My parents never changed it for me because I still had my bank in my old name. Now it's been months and I'm scared that if I call up there to change it they will cut it off and make me pay since I didn't tell them within ten days. Can someone please inform me whether or not I can still change my name on the check without getting into trouble for not doing it sooner? It was my parents fault that it was never done and I just recently started looking into it. Please help ASAP!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need to go to the SS office as soon as possible and have them review your benefits and clear up any problems that may have been caused by this change.

Putting this off is only asking for more problems so please do this as soon as you can.

October 21, 2015 Flag

My son and I receive Social Security. He is 16 now; will he receive my 700 as well?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Only the Social Security Administration can answer your question.

June 9, 2016 Flag

My daughter just found out that her child's father passed away. He had never seen his daughter, but he did pay support for her through the court. How does my daughter go about getting her child survivor benefits? She has no information on him such as Social Security or death certificate, she also does not know any of his family. How can she get information to apply? SSA states they cant help her unless she can provide this information.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How is it that child support was being taken out but she has absolutely nothing on him? If SSA cannot assist her, she knows nothing about his family....hmmm this could be tough. Here's a few options: 1. Start with the child support office. If they were taking out cs on him then she should have the cs decree. As well they should have her contact information. Tell her not to call, go down there with her daughter's bc, paperwork from cs, her (mom) ID and be prepared to sit a while. 2. His obituary will have the name of the funeral home on there. Perhaps she can look it up to get their name, contact them and attempt to get a copy of his death certificate. 3. The only other thing I can think of is to hire an attorney. They always seem to have a way to obtain information other's cannot. She's going to have to pay I'm sure but she doesn't need to give up. Hopefully by now she has found a way to get her daughter's benefits started but if not one of these may help.

November 9, 2015 Flag

My daughter's dad passed away 6 months ago at the age of 20. My daughter will be two next month. I applied, but was told he didn't have enough work credits, when he had four credits. I've been doing research and found a couple people were eligible when the other deceased parent didn't work at all. What kind of lawyer do I need to talk to? All help is appreciated!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Attorneys who handle Social Security issues do not receive any payment from you or anyone else until the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved in your favor, then the attorney's fee is paid directly from the money award. If you lose your case, the attorney receives nothing. Been there.

If any attorney tries to require any advance payment from you for handling your case, this is illegal and you should report him to the American Bar Association.

April 5, 2016 Flag

The children's father passed away in 2013 so his 2 kids get survivor benefits, but in November of 2015 the mother called for us to get the children. She is getting the money every month saying it's hers, but does not provide for the kids. Is this okay to do? What can we do to get the money for the children if she is the legal guardian?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact your local Social Security office to make an appointment to discuss your questions and concerns.

February 27, 2014 Flag

I am 18 years old with a 18 year old girlfriend. We have a beautiful daughter together that I love with all my heart. But here is the trick, I get a SS check for my father dying while I was still in school.

When my girlfriend gave birth I was forced to drop out to go to work to provide for them, but kept getting my check every month. I know this was wrong, but the check was the only thing getting us by. Now 9 months after I dropped out I have to file taxes for the year of 2013 and I'm worried.

What's the worst that could happen? and what are the steps to making it right? My family can't afford for me to be locked up and I just need advise. Please reply as quickly as possible. Thank you.

By a.m

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Your best answer would be to talk to your local Social Security Office. My guess is you will be expected to pay all or part of it back.

April 19, 2015 Flag

My brother is disabled and doesn't get a lot from a disability check of $740 monthly. He would not be able to live on it if something were to happen to my mother. If my mother were to die, can my brother collect her SS or survivor benefits? They live together now; my father is deceased.

By Denise

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Your family should be getting your brother on a waiting list for a rent subsidized apartment. The rent for them runs roughly 30% of a person's income. Most apartments have a good portion of the utilities included in the rent. Also he should qualify for some food stamps.

Has he had any training on how to live independently? If not, he should be receiving some of that. He should know how to shop, do laundry, dishes, a little cooking. Is he working part time, which is something that he should be doing too, he should have a case manager to help him find a job. I have a 46 year old mentally handicapped daughter that lives with me and with our income combined, which both are Social Security, we get rent assistance for our apartment and when I am gone the rent assistance will automatically roll over to her. She has known how to do the laundry for about 20 years, it was a learning process because I knew someday she would have to do it on her own. She also knows how to shop for groceries and how to ask a store employee for help if she needs it. I have taught her how to load the dishwasher, and being she will be on her own in the near future, because I have a new health problem that will make it so that she has to become independent quite soon.

She also has a case managers that when I am gone they will help her pay bills, help her shop, etc. Being my health has taken a turn for the worse, I am also looking at different types of frozen foods that can be heated in the microwave so she won't have to mess with the stove. She has learned how to heat cheeseburger sliders that are in the frozen food department, you can buy french fries that can be heated in the microwave, single serve size pizzas that can be done in the oven or microwave, there is also something called scramblers that are scrambled eggs with diced bacon on some type of a crust.

You can buy small containers of potato salad in deli departments, franks can be heated in the microwave. There is a lot your brother is going to have to know, unless you are planning on taking him in. I don't know what kind of training he has had, but I get the idea from your complaint that he hasn't had a lot of training. My daughter is capable of living alone with the help of her case managers.

As far as help from Social Security goes, if your parents worked enough to draw Social Security when they die, your brother should receive a certain percentage in Survivor's Benefits. I don't know exactly how that is figured, I am going to have to call our SS Office and talk to them about that matter too. I do know the parents have to work a certain period of time in order to qualify.

June 18, 2016 Flag

My dad died when I was 11, and my mom was receiving money as a payee. Now I am 18 and I went to the Social Security office myself and I was told by the office that it was my money and she was just the payee name. When I was 14 I asked for the money because I had a feeling it was my money and she said no. She worked no job and used the money to buy herself what she couldn't get with food stamps, and she occasionally bought me stuff. She made it seem like it was her money. Would she technically be considered stealing if I asked for the money since it was my money and she was just a payee, and can I do anything about it? I have to go back to school next September, would I be able to recieve the money during summer till school starts back up even though I'm 18 now?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You are unbelievable! What do you mean "My daughter tried to pull that on me". That money belongs to the child. It is YOUR responsibility to provide for YOUR child! If the child wasn't receiving SS benefits would you make them get a job and pay part of the rent? It's not enough you get a tax break because of them, but now you think your intitled to take their money and use it as your own? Perhaps you should get a job/better job and cover YOUR own childs needs. It's not the governments responsibility to cover YOUR childs basic needs! UNBELIEVABLE...

October 2, 2016 Flag

I'm 36 and was married for 17 years, with 2 kids. We divorced and I remarried. We've been married for a little over a year. My mother will have custody of my kids upon my death. Who would receive my survivor benefits?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Not sure what you mean by "survivor's benefits"? Your legal will determines to whom and exactly how you want all monies, possessions, land, etc., distributed. If there is no will upon your death, the state in which you lived will start the probate process which will then dictate who will receive the probate estate. State laws vary but the probate process can take months and even years.

February 27, 2014 Flag

My father passed away when I was in the fourth grade. I'm just now graduating high school and am about to turn 18. I was receiving Social Security, he was also disabled when he died. Can I still receive it for college?

By Caleb from Chickasha, OK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You'll have to get proof of paternity through family court to get the father's name on the birth certificate. I'm going through it now even though my son's grandmother called right after his father died and they said to just come in. I don't need anything. Good thing when I got his birth certificate without his father's name, I called and figured out how to get it on there or I'd be waiting longer than I already have to. I have a court date next month then I have to make another SS appointment once I have the proof.

April 20, 2015 Flag

My father passed away 2 years ago and my mom receives survivor benefits for both me and my younger sister, who will be 16 next month. My sister is planning on getting engaged and the boy's mother will be her legal guardian. I don't understand much of the situation, so I apologize if this makes no sense. Will my mom still receive the benefits for my sister after this process takes place? She will still be attending school.

By Ash

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The persons involved in all of this will have to be the ones asking the questions - and - the Social Security office is the only place to get accurate answers.

Is your mother still receiving benefits for you as well?

It appears that your younger sister is almost 16 then your benefits will soon be ending?

Bear in mind that benefits are paid for care/support of the child until they reach 18-19 and are still in school.

I also believe the "guardian' has to be a legal action and benefits may change if the child marries.

All of these variables are the reason to go to the SS office for answers.

Load More
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceDecember 5, 2012
Couple getting SSI help.
Finding a Good Social Security Attorney
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Childs cupped hands holding coins
Will My Child Receive SSI?
Social Security Disability Form
Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 12:30:35 PM on 10.0.2.91 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.