Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

If a spouse or parent dies, you may be eligible for Social Security survivor benefits. This is a guide about receiving Social Security survivor benefits.

Social Security Survivor Benefits
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 22, 2016 Flag

So my nephew is almost 17. His father died years ago. His mother divorced his father prior to that. She is using his and his brother's benefits to pay the mortgage. She married a guy with 5 kids and moved them in. The stepfather is a controlling and abusive person to my nephew. They made him leave home and live with his grandmother. They are still collecting his money to pay the mortgage for their home and he does not live there anymore. Can he stop that and start collecting it for himself until he is 18?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You and your nephew can contact your local SSA office and make an appointment to address this problem. The SSA may be able to change the benefit to be paid to the grandmother where your nephew lives.

June 18, 2016 Flag

My dad died when I was 11, and my mom was receiving money as a payee. Now I am 18 and I went to the Social Security office myself and I was told by the office that it was my money and she was just the payee name. When I was 14 I asked for the money because I had a feeling it was my money and she said no. She worked no job and used the money to buy herself what she couldn't get with food stamps, and she occasionally bought me stuff. She made it seem like it was her money. Would she technically be considered stealing if I asked for the money since it was my money and she was just a payee, and can I do anything about it? I have to go back to school next September, would I be able to recieve the money during summer till school starts back up even though I'm 18 now?

What is the answer I have the same problem

Read More Answers...

February 15, 2014 Flag

My brother recently died and he has two children. Their mother receives their money now; she is not giving it to them. Can they switch it over to mother or I?

By KC

Best Answer

My children get ss since their father passed away. The money is for their food, their share of rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, dental, eye glasses, class ring, yearbook, clothing, shoes, their share of a overnight trip if we take one, field trips.

If you look at the check, you will notice it is made to the adult whom they live with. Mine is made out to me, "on behalf of" their name. The money is not to be given to the children to blow. On the other hand, my kids are in high school now, so I am saving part for college, and I do give them each an allowance out of it.

Read More Answers...

March 31, 2016 Flag

I was receiving Social Security benefits as a survivor after my father passed away. I recently turned 18 in March. I did not receive anything from work. Should I have received something for the month of March and do I get a lump sum?

Carolina - you would receive more answers if you start your own question instead of asking on someone's question.

I believe the only answer to your question is to ask at your local SS office.

It may be that you have to remain in school to receive benefits but you may be able to work part time.

Are you saying the benefits go to you or to your guardian/parent? Generally benefits are paid to the person responsible for your care (housing, food, clothing, etc.) and are paid as long as the child is in school (not college) but I do not believe they will pay past 19 years of age even if the individual is still in school.

Read More Answers...

June 9, 2016 Flag

My daughter just found out that her child's father passed away. He had never seen his daughter, but he did pay support for her through the court. How does my daughter go about getting her child survivor benefits? She has no information on him such as Social Security or death certificate, she also does not know any of his family. How can she get information to apply? SSA states they cant help her unless she can provide this information.

You do not say whether your daughter was married and divorced but I feel sure that your daughter can get all the information she needs if support was ordered to be paid through the court as it could be assumed the child was eligible (proved to be his child).

I believe your daughter should try to file through the SS office so she has a "begin" date and may be able to receive benefits from that date after she is able to prove her case (that she is eligible).

It seems your daughter should take all relevant papers about the support payments to the court and find out what she has to do next.

Read More Answers...

June 9, 2016 Flag

Does the deceased person have to have previois work history for the child to receive death benifits? My son's father recently passed away and I'm curious as to how I can get benifits for him.

Short answer-yes. Long Answer-You should make an appointment with your local SSA office and bring all relative forms and information regarding your son and his father. There are time limitations so do not delay.

June 9, 2016 Flag

I am not passing my grades in school will this effect the amount of money I receive monthly?

You must contact the SSA to address your concerns-make an appointment with the local SSA office to discuss your problem.

October 21, 2015 Flag

My son and I receive Social Security. He is 16 now; will he receive my 700 as well?

Best Answer

There is too little information in your question for anyone to attempt to give an answer.

But, no matter what answer was/is given, only the SS office can answer your questions correctly.

Read More Answers...

April 5, 2016 Flag

The children's father passed away in 2013 so his 2 kids get survivor benefits, but in November of 2015 the mother called for us to get the children. She is getting the money every month saying it's hers, but does not provide for the kids. Is this okay to do? What can we do to get the money for the children if she is the legal guardian?

Contact your local Social Security office to make an appointment to discuss your questions and concerns.

Read More Answers...

November 9, 2015 Flag

My daughter's dad passed away 6 months ago at the age of 20. My daughter will be two next month. I applied, but was told he didn't have enough work credits, when he had four credits. I've been doing research and found a couple people were eligible when the other deceased parent didn't work at all. What kind of lawyer do I need to talk to? All help is appreciated!

Best Answer

Attorneys who handle Social Security issues do not receive any payment from you or anyone else until the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved in your favor, then the attorney's fee is paid directly from the money award. If you lose your case, the attorney receives nothing. Been there.

If any attorney tries to require any advance payment from you for handling your case, this is illegal and you should report him to the American Bar Association.

Read More Answers...

May 9, 2016 Flag

If I'm receving SS benefits as a survivor of my deceased dad, and get a job at the age of 16, will my SS benefits be taken away?

The checks are coming to your Mother or guardian for your benefit. Therefore I doubt your working will affect your benefits. Go to the social security website or call.

Read More Answers...

May 5, 2016 Flag

My son-in-law passed away 3 years ago and was survived by his wife (my daughter) and two children. Since that time she has been receiving SSA death benefit checks for her two children which she uses to support her and the children. Recently she got a notice of overpayment and a substantial decrease of the childrens' benefits due to someone else filing dependents' benefits on her husband's SS death benefits. Is there a time-limit to file for SS death benefits? Is this legal and can they hold my daughter responsible for the overpayment that they claim is 7000.00 dollars? My daughter did not even know there were any other children out there and SS won't give her any information.

Addendum:

If your daughter disagrees with SSA or has further questions, she can contact an attorney who specializes in SSA issues in her locale. The site below is just one of many offering local attorneys specializing in SSA law:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/p ... &HBX_PK=social+security+attornry

Read More Answers...

March 13, 2016 Flag

My mother who is 92 years old was married to my step dad for 38 years. He passed away in December last year. She filed to receive SS benefits from him and was denied the claim. I somehow feel she is entitled to them still. Does anybody know anything about this type of situation or who to call other than the Social Security office? So, if it's no then it's no but if there's a way we would like to pursue this matter completely, just to make sure. Thanks for any help at all. Who do we call, affordability matters?

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. SS has decided to grant her the benefits. Hooray

Read More Answers...

April 26, 2016 Flag

My wife died in 2014 and my three children receive survivor benefits, but I do not. I would like to get remarried and want to know if my children will stop receiving these benefits if I get married.

My Mother still received benefits for my siblings and I after she remarried. I think they stopped when we reached 18. This many years ago.

Read More Answers...

February 22, 2016 Flag

I am legal guardian to my great niece whose mother died last year. She has lived with me for a year and I just applied for benefits because I didn't even know I could apply for such a thing. I am confused about spending her money. I have been living with my son who owns his house and now my great niece lives here too. I owe him money for back rent for myself and my niece. I also incurred debt raising her for the past year with no help.

Can I use the lump sum I will be receiving to pay for that now? And can I pay my debt off as well? I also will now pay $1000 per month which includes everything, utilities, rent, water, trash removal, cable, etc. Since I will have the extra funds to do so. She receives $700 a month. I will make up the difference and will buy her food, clothing, etc. too. Is this okay? She is on Medicaid so medical is covered. And I have also homeschooled her over the year and will continue to do so. I need help here because I don't want to spend her money illegally. Thank you.

Contact the SSA for information your responsibility regarding your niece's survivor's benefits. You can make an appointment to meet with a representative to answer your questions. Also request a statement in writing about your financial responsibilities for your niece. Note that you are accountable for all expenses paid from the survivor's benefit. Understanding your financial responsibilities for survivor's benefits now is a smart move to ensure you will provide for your niece correctly and will avoid any questions in the future!

Read More Answers...
                              Load More
                              Business and Legal Legal General AdviceDecember 5, 2012
                              Couple getting SSI help.
                              Finding a Good Social Security Attorney
                              older blind woman sitting on a bench
                              Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
                              Social Security Paperwork
                              Preparing for a Social Security Hearing
                              Social Security Disability Form
                              Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits
                              © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 25, 2016 at 5:05:07 PM on 10.0.2.153 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.