Browsing: Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

If a spouse or parent dies, you may be eligible for Social Security survivor benefits. This is a guide about receiving Social Security survivor benefits.

Social Security Survivor Benefits
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 15, 2014 Flag

My brother recently died and he has two children. Their mother receives their money now; she is not giving it to them. Can they switch it over to mother or I?

By KC

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

My children get ss since their father passed away. The money is for their food, their share of rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, dental, eye glasses, class ring, yearbook, clothing, shoes, their share of a overnight trip if we take one, field trips.

If you look at the check, you will notice it is made to the adult whom they live with. Mine is made out to me, "on behalf of" their name. The money is not to be given to the children to blow. On the other hand, my kids are in high school now, so I am saving part for college, and I do give them each an allowance out of it.

Read More Answers...

March 31, 2016 Flag

I was receiving Social Security benefits as a survivor after my father passed away. I recently turned 18 in March. I did not receive anything from work. Should I have received something for the month of March and do I get a lump sum?

You can also receive survivors benefits past the age of 19 if you were already receiving adult disabled child benefits. I was getting $1049. After my Father passed away I started getting. $1574.

Read More Answers...

August 8, 2016 Flag

My son will be 18 next month and is getting my deceased husband's Social Security benefits. I was getting them as well and my son moved out. Once he turns 18 will I start getting them again?

SSA Survivor benefits are paid to children until they are 18; 19 if still in high school. The Survivor benefits then stop completely unless a child is disabled; then benefits may continue for the child's life.

You will not receive any further SSA Survivor benefits.

June 9, 2016 Flag

My daughter just found out that her child's father passed away. He had never seen his daughter, but he did pay support for her through the court. How does my daughter go about getting her child survivor benefits? She has no information on him such as Social Security or death certificate, she also does not know any of his family. How can she get information to apply? SSA states they cant help her unless she can provide this information.

Go to the Ss office they will have that information.

Read More Answers...

July 21, 2016 Flag

I adopted my two nephews when their mother and father died at a young age and changed their last names to ours on their birth certificates. I was told I couldn't change it also on the their SS card. If I did I wouldn't be able to receive death benefits, so I didn't change it. With them now being young adults looking for jobs and wanting to apply to colleges and such, they need their SS card to match their birth certificate. Will I have to pay back all the money I have received over the years to care for them?

Many different circumstances could apply to your question/case.

Ask your questions at your SS office so you will know where you stand.

Read More Answers...

April 5, 2016 Flag

The children's father passed away in 2013 so his 2 kids get survivor benefits, but in November of 2015 the mother called for us to get the children. She is getting the money every month saying it's hers, but does not provide for the kids. Is this okay to do? What can we do to get the money for the children if she is the legal guardian?

Did she sign any papers giving you temporarily guardianship or give you power of attorney, just incase something happens to the kids and she isn't available? Guardianship could state limited control and same with power of attorney but most don't know that and you can use it to may have a better chance to get help from as, or even perhaps be able to file for child support of you have enough evidence of care.

Read More Answers...

October 21, 2015 Flag

My son and I receive Social Security. He is 16 now; will he receive my 700 as well?

Best Answer

There is too little information in your question for anyone to attempt to give an answer.

But, no matter what answer was/is given, only the SS office can answer your questions correctly.

Read More Answers...

June 18, 2016 Flag

My dad died when I was 11, and my mom was receiving money as a payee. Now I am 18 and I went to the Social Security office myself and I was told by the office that it was my money and she was just the payee name. When I was 14 I asked for the money because I had a feeling it was my money and she said no. She worked no job and used the money to buy herself what she couldn't get with food stamps, and she occasionally bought me stuff. She made it seem like it was her money. Would she technically be considered stealing if I asked for the money since it was my money and she was just a payee, and can I do anything about it? I have to go back to school next September, would I be able to recieve the money during summer till school starts back up even though I'm 18 now?

Since you are still living, your mom had to feed you and put a roof over your head etc. If you were living in your car and were not being taken care of. Then you should have contacted Social Security at that time. My daughter pulled that on me. I told her she can have her money. BUT, now she has to pay me rent.

Read More Answers...

November 9, 2015 Flag

My daughter's dad passed away 6 months ago at the age of 20. My daughter will be two next month. I applied, but was told he didn't have enough work credits, when he had four credits. I've been doing research and found a couple people were eligible when the other deceased parent didn't work at all. What kind of lawyer do I need to talk to? All help is appreciated!

Best Answer

Attorneys who handle Social Security issues do not receive any payment from you or anyone else until the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved in your favor, then the attorney's fee is paid directly from the money award. If you lose your case, the attorney receives nothing. Been there.

If any attorney tries to require any advance payment from you for handling your case, this is illegal and you should report him to the American Bar Association.

Read More Answers...

March 13, 2016 Flag

My mother who is 92 years old was married to my step dad for 38 years. He passed away in December last year. She filed to receive SS benefits from him and was denied the claim.

Load More
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceDecember 5, 2012
Couple getting SSI help.
Finding a Good Social Security Attorney
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Social Security Paperwork
Preparing for a Social Security Hearing
Social Security Disability Form
Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 25, 2016 at 9:22:06 AM on 10.0.2.96 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.