Browsing: Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

If a spouse or parent dies, you may be eligible for Social Security survivor benefits. This is a guide about receiving Social Security survivor benefits.

Social Security Survivor Benefits
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 21, 2016 Flag

I adopted my two nephews when their mother and father died at a young age and changed their last names to ours on their birth certificates. I was told I couldn't change it also on the their SS card. If I did I wouldn't be able to receive death benefits, so I didn't change it. With them now being young adults looking for jobs and wanting to apply to colleges and such, they need their SS card to match their birth certificate. Will I have to pay back all the money I have received over the years to care for them?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many different circumstances could apply to your question/case.

Ask your questions at your SS office so you will know where you stand.

Read More Answers...

February 15, 2014 Flag

My brother recently died and he has two children. Their mother receives their money now; she is not giving it to them. Can they switch it over to mother or I?

By KC

Best Answer

My children get ss since their father passed away. The money is for their food, their share of rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, dental, eye glasses, class ring, yearbook, clothing, shoes, their share of a overnight trip if we take one, field trips.

If you look at the check, you will notice it is made to the adult whom they live with. Mine is made out to me, "on behalf of" their name. The money is not to be given to the children to blow. On the other hand, my kids are in high school now, so I am saving part for college, and I do give them each an allowance out of it.

Read More Answers...

March 31, 2016 Flag

I was receiving Social Security benefits as a survivor after my father passed away. I recently turned 18 in March. I did not receive anything from work. Should I have received something for the month of March and do I get a lump sum?

You can also receive survivors benefits past the age of 19 if you were already receiving adult disabled child benefits. I was getting $1049. After my Father passed away I started getting. $1574.

Read More Answers...

June 9, 2016 Flag

My daughter just found out that her child's father passed away. He had never seen his daughter, but he did pay support for her through the court. How does my daughter go about getting her child survivor benefits? She has no information on him such as Social Security or death certificate, she also does not know any of his family. How can she get information to apply? SSA states they cant help her unless she can provide this information.

Can I receive my social security benefits even though I am over 18 my brother recirved benefits our father died . Although I didnot

Read More Answers...

June 18, 2016 Flag

My dad died when I was 11, and my mom was receiving money as a payee. Now I am 18 and I went to the Social Security office myself and I was told by the office that it was my money and she was just the payee name. When I was 14 I asked for the money because I had a feeling it was my money and she said no. She worked no job and used the money to buy herself what she couldn't get with food stamps, and she occasionally bought me stuff. She made it seem like it was her money. Would she technically be considered stealing if I asked for the money since it was my money and she was just a payee, and can I do anything about it? I have to go back to school next September, would I be able to recieve the money during summer till school starts back up even though I'm 18 now?

Since you are still living, your mom had to feed you and put a roof over your head etc. If you were living in your car and were not being taken care of. Then you should have contacted Social Security at that time. My daughter pulled that on me. I told her she can have her money. BUT, now she has to pay me rent.

Read More Answers...

April 5, 2016 Flag

The children's father passed away in 2013 so his 2 kids get survivor benefits, but in November of 2015 the mother called for us to get the children. She is getting the money every month saying it's hers, but does not provide for the kids. Is this okay to do? What can we do to get the money for the children if she is the legal guardian?

Did she sign any papers giving you temporarily guardianship or give you power of attorney, just incase something happens to the kids and she isn't available? Guardianship could state limited control and same with power of attorney but most don't know that and you can use it to may have a better chance to get help from as, or even perhaps be able to file for child support of you have enough evidence of care.

Read More Answers...

October 21, 2015 Flag

My son and I receive Social Security. He is 16 now; will he receive my 700 as well?

Best Answer

There is too little information in your question for anyone to attempt to give an answer.

But, no matter what answer was/is given, only the SS office can answer your questions correctly.

Read More Answers...

July 2, 2016 Flag

My husband died when my children were very small. They drew survivor benefits till they were eighteen. I was not employed when he passed away and did not remarry until years later. I never drew widow's benefits although I believe I should have been able to. Can I get back pay for them now?

I am not sure what type of benefits you may be entitled to but generally extra money would/could be included when a widow is receiving benefits for small children.

I do not know of any benefit a surviving spouse (that is not disabled) would receive but then it would be best for you to go to your SS office and ask your questions.

I assume you are not talking about the $250 benefit that generally goes to the funeral home at the time of burial.

You may be entitled to draw benefits under his SS number when you reach 65 years of age but if you have remarried this may change things and it may be possible to draw a larger benefit under your present husband's SS number.

There are too many variables for any lay person to even offer suggestions - please take the necessary papers and visit your local SS office.

As far as back payments go - benefits (if/when approved) are generally paid from the date of application but there are always exceptions that only the SS office can state.

November 9, 2015 Flag

My daughter's dad passed away 6 months ago at the age of 20. My daughter will be two next month. I applied, but was told he didn't have enough work credits, when he had four credits. I've been doing research and found a couple people were eligible when the other deceased parent didn't work at all. What kind of lawyer do I need to talk to? All help is appreciated!

Best Answer

Attorneys who handle Social Security issues do not receive any payment from you or anyone else until the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved in your favor, then the attorney's fee is paid directly from the money award. If you lose your case, the attorney receives nothing. Been there.

If any attorney tries to require any advance payment from you for handling your case, this is illegal and you should report him to the American Bar Association.

Read More Answers...

February 22, 2016 Flag

I am legal guardian to my great niece whose mother died last year. She has lived with me for a year and I just applied for benefits because I didn't even know I could apply for such a thing. I am confused about spending her money. I have been living with my son who owns his house and now my great niece lives here too. I owe him money for back rent for myself and my niece. I also incurred debt raising her for the past year with no help.

Can I use the lump sum I will be receiving to pay for that now? And can I pay my debt off as well? I also will now pay $1000 per month which includes everything, utilities, rent, water, trash removal, cable, etc. Since I will have the extra funds to do so. She receives $700 a month. I will make up the difference and will buy her food, clothing, etc. too. Is this okay? She is on Medicaid so medical is covered. And I have also homeschooled her over the year and will continue to do so. I need help here because I don't want to spend her money illegally. Thank you.

Contact the SSA for information your responsibility regarding your niece's survivor's benefits. You can make an appointment to meet with a representative to answer your questions. Also request a statement in writing about your financial responsibilities for your niece. Note that you are accountable for all expenses paid from the survivor's benefit. Understanding your financial responsibilities for survivor's benefits now is a smart move to ensure you will provide for your niece correctly and will avoid any questions in the future!

Read More Answers...

May 9, 2016 Flag

If I'm receving SS benefits as a survivor of my deceased dad, and get a job at the age of 16, will my SS benefits be taken away?

I don't believe there is a limit on income for survivors ss, I never was punished and I worked 2 jobs and construction all summer and weekends. My mom and step dad started a business with his retirement and saving while my brother and I paid all the bills. To bad nothing was left for a future. Oh well.

Read More Answers...

June 22, 2016 Flag

So my nephew is almost 17. His father died years ago. His mother divorced his father prior to that. She is using his and his brother's benefits to pay the mortgage. She married a guy with 5 kids and moved them in. The stepfather is a controlling and abusive person to my nephew. They made him leave home and live with his grandmother. They are still collecting his money to pay the mortgage for their home and he does not live there anymore. Can he stop that and start collecting it for himself until he is 18?

You and your nephew can contact your local SSA office and make an appointment to address this problem. The SSA may be able to change the benefit to be paid to the grandmother where your nephew lives.

May 5, 2016 Flag

My son-in-law passed away 3 years ago and was survived by his wife (my daughter) and two children. Since that time she has been receiving SSA death benefit checks for her two children which she uses to support her and the children. Recently she got a notice of overpayment and a substantial decrease of the childrens' benefits due to someone else filing dependents' benefits on her husband's SS death benefits. Is there a time-limit to file for SS death benefits? Is this legal and can they hold my daughter responsible for the overpayment that they claim is 7000.00 dollars? My daughter did not even know there were any other children out there and SS won't give her any information.

Typically it is fraud, the administration is suppose to request proof of fatherhood. If he never signed as the father then they are suppose to speak to everyone they can to find testimony of falsehood or not. I would appeal this fee. And be quick about it because I'm sure there is a time limit. And usually they ask the wife first. Weird. My brother had a magic baby pop out 2 weeks after he died. I made it very clear how it was not true and kept my nephew from having to share his dad's sweat and tears.

Read More Answers...

February 27, 2014 Flag

I am 18 years old with a 18 year old girlfriend. We have a beautiful daughter together that I love with all my heart. But here is the trick, I get a SS check for my father dying while I was still in school.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                          Load More
                          Business and Legal Legal General AdviceDecember 5, 2012
                          Couple getting SSI help.
                          Finding a Good Social Security Attorney
                          older blind woman sitting on a bench
                          Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
                          Social Security Paperwork
                          Preparing for a Social Security Hearing
                          Social Security Disability Form
                          Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits
                          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 27, 2016 at 9:04:08 PM on 10.0.2.10 in 904 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.