Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

If a spouse or parent dies, you may be eligible for Social Security survivor benefits. This is a guide about receiving Social Security survivor benefits.

Social Security Survivor Benefits
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My wife died in 2014 and my three children receive survivor benefits, but I do not. I would like to get remarried and want to know if my children will stop receiving these benefits if I get married.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My Mother still received benefits for my siblings and I after she remarried. I think they stopped when we reached 18. This many years ago.

Read More Answers...

I was receiving Social Security benefits as a survivor after my father passed away. I recently turned 18 in March. I did not receive anything from work. Should I have received something for the month of March and do I get a lump sum?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need to contact the SSA for your answers but most likely their records are correct.

It is unclear as to why you feel you should receive a lump sum but the SS office will answer all of your questions.

Follow the previous advice and get correct answers.

Read More Answers...

The children's father passed away in 2013 so his 2 kids get survivor benefits, but in November of 2015 the mother called for us to get the children. She is getting the money every month saying it's hers, but does not provide for the kids. Is this okay to do? What can we do to get the money for the children if she is the legal guardian?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact your local Social Security office to make an appointment to discuss your questions and concerns.

Read More Answers...

My brother recently died and he has two children. Their mother receives their money now; she is not giving it to them. Can they switch it over to mother or I?

By KC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
        Best Answer

Are the kids minors? As a whole the money is intended to support them, not for them to spend on whatever they want. Furthermore, it isn't needed for actual support, how do you know their mother isn't saving it for college? This is something like child support, which is intended to help provide the necessities that a kid needs, not to let them have all kinds of fun with it. Talk to your local Social Security Office and see what they say.

Best Answer

My children get ss since their father passed away. The money is for their food, their share of rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, dental, eye glasses, class ring, yearbook, clothing, shoes, their share of a overnight trip if we take one, field trips.

If you look at the check, you will notice it is made to the adult whom they live with. Mine is made out to me, "on behalf of" their name. The money is not to be given to the children to blow. On the other hand, my kids are in high school now, so I am saving part for college, and I do give them each an allowance out of it.

Read More Answers...

My son and I receive Social Security. He is 16 now; will he receive my 700 as well?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
          Best Answer

Only the Social Security Administration can answer your question.

Best Answer

There is too little information in your question for anyone to attempt to give an answer.

But, no matter what answer was/is given, only the SS office can answer your questions correctly.

My mother who is 92 years old was married to my step dad for 38 years. He passed away in December last year. She filed to receive SS benefits from him and was denied the claim. I somehow feel she is entitled to them still. Does anybody know anything about this type of situation or who to call other than the Social Security office? So, if it's no then it's no but if there's a way we would like to pursue this matter completely, just to make sure. Thanks for any help at all. Who do we call, affordability matters?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. SS has decided to grant her the benefits. Hooray

Read More Answers...

My daughter's dad passed away 6 months ago at the age of 20. My daughter will be two next month. I applied, but was told he didn't have enough work credits, when he had four credits. I've been doing research and found a couple people were eligible when the other deceased parent didn't work at all. What kind of lawyer do I need to talk to? All help is appreciated!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
              Best Answer

Attorneys who handle Social Security issues do not receive any payment from you or anyone else until the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved in your favor, then the attorney's fee is paid directly from the money award. If you lose your case, the attorney receives nothing. Been there.

If any attorney tries to require any advance payment from you for handling your case, this is illegal and you should report him to the American Bar Association.

Read More Answers...

I am legal guardian to my great niece whose mother died last year. She has lived with me for a year and I just applied for benefits because I didn't even know I could apply for such a thing. I am confused about spending her money. I have been living with my son who owns his house and now my great niece lives here too. I owe him money for back rent for myself and my niece. I also incurred debt raising her for the past year with no help.

Can I use the lump sum I will be receiving to pay for that now? And can I pay my debt off as well? I also will now pay $1000 per month which includes everything, utilities, rent, water, trash removal, cable, etc. Since I will have the extra funds to do so. She receives $700 a month. I will make up the difference and will buy her food, clothing, etc. too. Is this okay? She is on Medicaid so medical is covered. And I have also homeschooled her over the year and will continue to do so. I need help here because I don't want to spend her money illegally. Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact the SSA for information your responsibility regarding your niece's survivor's benefits. You can make an appointment to meet with a representative to answer your questions. Also request a statement in writing about your financial responsibilities for your niece. Note that you are accountable for all expenses paid from the survivor's benefit. Understanding your financial responsibilities for survivor's benefits now is a smart move to ensure you will provide for your niece correctly and will avoid any questions in the future!

Read More Answers...

I am in the 11th grade and won't graduate until I'm 20. I will be 19 in October of my senior year. When will my benefits stop?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Only the SSA can answer your question, however, the usual termination ages are 18 & 19 depending upon high school graduation. You can make an appointment with your local SSA to discuss your particular situation.

I am 18 years old with a 18 year old girlfriend. We have a beautiful daughter together that I love with all my heart. But here is the trick, I get a SS check for my father dying while I was still in school.

When my girlfriend gave birth I was forced to drop out to go to work to provide for them, but kept getting my check every month. I know this was wrong, but the check was the only thing getting us by. Now 9 months after I dropped out I have to file taxes for the year of 2013 and I'm worried.

What's the worst that could happen? and what are the steps to making it right? My family can't afford for me to be locked up and I just need advise. Please reply as quickly as possible. Thank you.

By a.m

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                  Best Answer

Your best answer would be to talk to your local Social Security Office. My guess is you will be expected to pay all or part of it back.

Best Answer

I certainly agree that you need to go to your SS office as soon as possible so you will know where you stand.

I would like to add that I applaud you for wanting to do the right thing as I know some people would not take this stand and just wait to see if they were ever "caught".

I do not know how much money you make each month but you may be eligible for some sort of assistance and even a small amount might help.

According to what solution the SS offers you, it may be wise to try and get some legal advise. Go to your local church and see if they can recommend someone to help you.

I hope they will let you pay it off in small monthly payments.

Good luck and please - go to your SS office and do not take advise from just "anyone".

Read More Answers...

I am the payee on my grandchild's SS account and want to know if he has to return the money I have saved for him when he turns 18. I was told that he does, but that just doesn't sound right to me.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you Amber E. and thanks to everyone else who responded to my question.I got that information about giving it back from a woman at SSA when I called there.She didn't speak English very well and I don't think she understood what I was talking about.I took Cybergrannies advice and made an appointment to speak to someone next month.

Read More Answers...

I took care of my momma for nearly 3 years and up til she took her last breath I was her caregiver. Can I get survivors benefits?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                      Best Answer

Survivor benefits are paid for the care of minor children (or disabled) and some benefits may be paid to a serving spouse at retirement age.

You can check out the Social Security web site and probably find your answer or pay a visit to their office.

My father passed away 2 years ago and my mom receives survivor benefits for both me and my younger sister, who will be 16 next month. My sister is planning on getting engaged and the boy's mother will be her legal guardian. I don't understand much of the situation, so I apologize if this makes no sense. Will my mom still receive the benefits for my sister after this process takes place? She will still be attending school.

By Ash

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                      Best Answer

The persons involved in all of this will have to be the ones asking the questions - and - the Social Security office is the only place to get accurate answers.

Is your mother still receiving benefits for you as well?

It appears that your younger sister is almost 16 then your benefits will soon be ending?

Bear in mind that benefits are paid for care/support of the child until they reach 18-19 and are still in school.

I also believe the "guardian' has to be a legal action and benefits may change if the child marries.

All of these variables are the reason to go to the SS office for answers.

Read More Answers...

My brother is disabled and doesn't get a lot from a disability check of $740 monthly. He would not be able to live on it if something were to happen to my mother. If my mother were to die, can my brother collect her SS or survivor benefits? They live together now; my father is deceased.

By Denise

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                      Best Answer

Your family should be getting your brother on a waiting list for a rent subsidized apartment. The rent for them runs roughly 30% of a person's income. Most apartments have a good portion of the utilities included in the rent. Also he should qualify for some food stamps.

Has he had any training on how to live independently? If not, he should be receiving some of that. He should know how to shop, do laundry, dishes, a little cooking. Is he working part time, which is something that he should be doing too, he should have a case manager to help him find a job. I have a 46 year old mentally handicapped daughter that lives with me and with our income combined, which both are Social Security, we get rent assistance for our apartment and when I am gone the rent assistance will automatically roll over to her. She has known how to do the laundry for about 20 years, it was a learning process because I knew someday she would have to do it on her own. She also knows how to shop for groceries and how to ask a store employee for help if she needs it. I have taught her how to load the dishwasher, and being she will be on her own in the near future, because I have a new health problem that will make it so that she has to become independent quite soon.

She also has a case managers that when I am gone they will help her pay bills, help her shop, etc. Being my health has taken a turn for the worse, I am also looking at different types of frozen foods that can be heated in the microwave so she won't have to mess with the stove. She has learned how to heat cheeseburger sliders that are in the frozen food department, you can buy french fries that can be heated in the microwave, single serve size pizzas that can be done in the oven or microwave, there is also something called scramblers that are scrambled eggs with diced bacon on some type of a crust.

You can buy small containers of potato salad in deli departments, franks can be heated in the microwave. There is a lot your brother is going to have to know, unless you are planning on taking him in. I don't know what kind of training he has had, but I get the idea from your complaint that he hasn't had a lot of training. My daughter is capable of living alone with the help of her case managers.

As far as help from Social Security goes, if your parents worked enough to draw Social Security when they die, your brother should receive a certain percentage in Survivor's Benefits. I don't know exactly how that is figured, I am going to have to call our SS Office and talk to them about that matter too. I do know the parents have to work a certain period of time in order to qualify.

Read More Answers...
                      Load More
                      Business and Legal Legal General AdviceDecember 5, 2012
                      Couple getting SSI help.
                      Finding a Good Social Security Attorney
                      older blind woman sitting on a bench
                      Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
                      Social Security Paperwork
                      Preparing for a Social Security Hearing
                      Social Security Disability Form
                      Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits
                      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 5, 2016 at 12:05:53 PM on 10.0.0.215 in 528 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.