Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

If a spouse or parent dies, you may be eligible for Social Security survivor benefits. This is a guide about receiving Social Security survivor benefits.

February 15, 2014 Flag

My brother recently died and he has two children. Their mother receives their money now; she is not giving it to them. Can they switch it over to mother or I?

By KC

Best Answer

Are the kids minors? As a whole the money is intended to support them, not for them to spend on whatever they want. Furthermore, it isn't needed for actual support, how do you know their mother isn't saving it for college? This is something like child support, which is intended to help provide the necessities that a kid needs, not to let them have all kinds of fun with it. Talk to your local Social Security Office and see what they say.

Best Answer

November 2, 2016 Flag

I receive a survivor's check since my grandfather died and I was in his care at the time. I recently was adopted by my stepdad and now I have his last name. That was a few months before I turned 18. Now I get the check in my name and I need to change the last name on it.

My parents never changed it for me because I still had my bank in my old name. Now it's been months and I'm scared that if I call up there to change it they will cut it off and make me pay since I didn't tell them within ten days. Can someone please inform me whether or not I can still change my name on the check without getting into trouble for not doing it sooner? It was my parents fault that it was never done and I just recently started looking into it. Please help ASAP!

You need to go to the SS office as soon as possible and have them review your benefits and clear up any problems that may have been caused by this change.

Putting this off is only asking for more problems so please do this as soon as you can.

September 6, 2016 Flag

My ex just passed away this week. He was disabled and was paying child support thru his Social Security payments for my 11 year old son. I am disabled as well, so my son gets a Social Security check based on my work record. Can someone explain the process now that the other parent is deceased? Will my son be able to get a check from his dad's Social Security now that he's deceased? Or will his support check from his dad's disability just stop. I am so confused right now. I plan to go to Social Security as soon as possible. I just wondered if anyone had similar experiences.

My son was only 10 when his father passed away 4 years ago. I had just been declared disabled 6 months prior to that and at that time my son was receiving a check off of my disability benefits. After his father passed I had to make an appointment at my local Social Security Office. At that appointment they required a ton of paperwork and legal documentation. Once they determined that he was eligible they looked up how much my son would receive in survivors benefits from his father's social security. They then compared that with how much he was receiving from my disability benefits and whichever amount was the highest is the one he got. Your child can only receive benefits from one parent at a time regardless of the situation. Also, there are several "qualifications" that have to be met in order for a child to receive survivors benefits from a deceased parent. Two of the main ones are that there has to be legal documentation showing that the deceased parent was in fact the child's parent (fathers name on child's birth certificate, if the fathers name is not on the birth certificate then they require proof of paternity, etc)...The 2nd is that the deceased parent has to have a certain number of "work credits" throughout a certain number of years. If they don't have enough of both then the child would not be eligible for survivors benefits. To be honest it's a real pain to have to deal with and go through it all but to get the survivor benefits for your child is worth it. Losing a parent is hard enough without having to raise a child on you own financially. I hope I've been of some help.

March 31, 2016 Flag

I was receiving Social Security benefits as a survivor after my father passed away. I recently turned 18 in March. I did not receive anything from work. Should I have received something for the month of March and do I get a lump sum?

Carolina - you would receive more answers if you start your own question instead of asking on someone's question.

I believe the only answer to your question is to ask at your local SS office.

It may be that you have to remain in school to receive benefits but you may be able to work part time.

Are you saying the benefits go to you or to your guardian/parent? Generally benefits are paid to the person responsible for your care (housing, food, clothing, etc.) and are paid as long as the child is in school (not college) but I do not believe they will pay past 19 years of age even if the individual is still in school.

October 21, 2015 Flag

My son and I receive Social Security. He is 16 now; will he receive my 700 as well?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Only the Social Security Administration can answer your question.

Best Answer

June 9, 2016 Flag

My daughter just found out that her child's father passed away. He had never seen his daughter, but he did pay support for her through the court. How does my daughter go about getting her child survivor benefits? She has no information on him such as Social Security or death certificate, she also does not know any of his family. How can she get information to apply? SSA states they cant help her unless she can provide this information.

Go to the Ss office they will have that information.

October 2, 2016 Flag

I'm 36 and was married for 17 years, with 2 kids. We divorced and I remarried. We've been married for a little over a year. My mother will have custody of my kids upon my death. Who would receive my survivor benefits?

Not sure what you mean by "survivor's benefits"? Your legal will determines to whom and exactly how you want all monies, possessions, land, etc., distributed. If there is no will upon your death, the state in which you lived will start the probate process which will then dictate who will receive the probate estate. State laws vary but the probate process can take months and even years.

April 5, 2016 Flag

The children's father passed away in 2013 so his 2 kids get survivor benefits, but in November of 2015 the mother called for us to get the children. She is getting the money every month saying it's hers, but does not provide for the kids. Is this okay to do? What can we do to get the money for the children if she is the legal guardian?

Contact your local Social Security office to make an appointment to discuss your questions and concerns.

November 9, 2015 Flag

My daughter's dad passed away 6 months ago at the age of 20. My daughter will be two next month. I applied, but was told he didn't have enough work credits, when he had four credits. I've been doing research and found a couple people were eligible when the other deceased parent didn't work at all. What kind of lawyer do I need to talk to? All help is appreciated!

Best Answer

Attorneys who handle Social Security issues do not receive any payment from you or anyone else until the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved in your favor, then the attorney's fee is paid directly from the money award. If you lose your case, the attorney receives nothing. Been there.

If any attorney tries to require any advance payment from you for handling your case, this is illegal and you should report him to the American Bar Association.

June 18, 2016 Flag

My dad died when I was 11, and my mom was receiving money as a payee. Now I am 18 and I went to the Social Security office myself and I was told by the office that it was my money and she was just the payee name. When I was 14 I asked for the money because I had a feeling it was my money and she said no. She worked no job and used the money to buy herself what she couldn't get with food stamps, and she occasionally bought me stuff. She made it seem like it was her money. Would she technically be considered stealing if I asked for the money since it was my money and she was just a payee, and can I do anything about it? I have to go back to school next September, would I be able to recieve the money during summer till school starts back up even though I'm 18 now?

You are unbelievable! What do you mean "My daughter tried to pull that on me". That money belongs to the child. It is YOUR responsibility to provide for YOUR child! If the child wasn't receiving SS benefits would you make them get a job and pay part of the rent? It's not enough you get a tax break because of them, but now you think your intitled to take their money and use it as your own? Perhaps you should get a job/better job and cover YOUR own childs needs. It's not the governments responsibility to cover YOUR childs basic needs! UNBELIEVABLE...

February 27, 2014 Flag

I am 18 years old with a 18 year old girlfriend. We have a beautiful daughter together that I love with all my heart. But here is the trick, I get a SS check for my father dying while I was still in school.

Load More
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceDecember 5, 2012
Couple getting SSI help.
Finding a Good Social Security Attorney
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Social Security Paperwork
Preparing for a Social Security Hearing
Social Security Disability Form
Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits
🎉
🎄