Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Social Security Survivor Benefits

If a spouse or parent dies, you may be eligible for Social Security survivor benefits. This is a guide about receiving Social Security survivor benefits.

Here are questions related to Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits.

Question: Survivor Benefits for Students

My grandson received benefits after his mother's passing. He is now 18 and graduated from high school at the end of May. Will he get final check in June? He is going to college full time in August. Also will benefits continue since he'll be a full time student?

By Barbara B.

Most Recent Answer

By gurneeh06/19/2014

Barbara did you get an answer from Social Security Administration yet? I had the same question about a girl I know.

Question: Will My Child Receive SSI?

My ex passed away March 14th. We have 2 children together. My question is are they eligible to receive SSI benefits? One of the children is his biologically, but the other one was fathered by someone else.

My ex was the only dad he has ever known, he's even got his last name. I also have the paper they give you at the hospital, when a child is born for the father to sign, saying the child is theirs without a doubt. He signed that saying our son was his. I have several witnesses that can say he claimed him as being his son.

However, his name isn't on either birth certificate because a nurse at the hospital after the delivery, told me that if we added his name he would be responsible for the hospital bills. I knew we couldn't afford that so I left it as unknown. Will this matter?

By Cindy

Most Recent Answer

By Tina T.09/12/2013

I applied for survivors benefits for my daughter when she was 6 months and was denied like 6 times. They said that she would need a paternity test. Her father is deceased, he died before she was born. They said that I would have to get a paternity test from someone in his family so I paid for a paternity test and his mother agreed to take it. It came back that she was the grandmother.

When I showed them the test, they approved it and she received 1300 in back pay and 223 a month for a year. When they approved me for it, I wanted to appeal the back pay because I didn't think it was right. I was down to the last appeal to see the judge. I went in the office to appeal it and they didn't give me the proper paper work so they end up letting my 90 days expire and said in the notes that I was ok with the backpay decision. I kept asking about the appeal and was basically told that no decision had been made and that they would contact me. So I called the toll free number to speak with someone and was told that the appeal had never been filed. So they put it in the notes for them to get in touch with me. I went the next day and told them I wanted to check on the appeal and the guy said they had to do some research on my case and they would get in touch with me but never did. The next week when I went up there, they said that they overpayed me and that she wasn't supposed to be getting the money because they couldn't used the DNA from his mother. Can they do that?

RE: Will My Child Receive SSI?

Question: Social Security Benefits for Children of Deceased Parent

I have had 3 children that receive SSI checks in the state of Arizona. 1 child I have had for over 3 years the other 2 almost 2 years. The grandmother sends me the money for bills. What do I do to get control of these checks since I have the children.

By Lisa

Question: Survivors Benefits for Multiple Children

My mother passed away in 2007 and my two sisters and I received survivors benefits from Social Security. It recently came to my attention that my sisters who are 3 years younger than me are receiving $540 each, this is a little more than the $337 a month I received. Any idea as to how this may occur?

By John Doe

Question: Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

My dad died October 4, 2010. I was 14. I have a brother. It's been 4 years and I haven't received a dime. I don't know what to do I couldn't finish my last year cause I didn't have money. My dad had disability cause he had one arm. I find it very unbelievable that I haven't received anything.

By Summer

Question: Receiving Social Security Survivor's Benefits

My husband passed away. I had a little boy with him, but when I went to sign up for benefits they told me he hadn't paid in enough for me or my son to receive benefits. Why is this possible?

By Amy D

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]10/18/2014

The SS office should have given you the answer to this question when you applied but maybe the answer was not thorough enough.

The basic answer is for anyone to be eligible to receive SS benefits they must have paid money into SS over a certain period of time and completed a minimum number of what the SS calls "quarters".
If the original person did not have enough "quarters" paid in then they could not have drawn benefits and neither can anyone else draw benefits from their account. Anyone can request information about their own eligibility from the SS office.

You can obtain a booklet explaining this from your SS office or call their office and request it. They will mail it to you or you can search for SS information on the Internet and either read it on line or print out a copy. "Quarters" is explained in this booklet also.

This question also points out the problem people have who are self-employed and do not complete IRS forms and pay their SS taxes every year. They may not be eligible for SS benefits later in life unless they also work where they do pay SS taxes.

Question: Social Security for Mentally Challenged Adult

My brother is over the age of 60, can he draw my dad, his stepdad's Social Security?

By MH

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]10/18/2014

Please call your SS office for correct answers to questions like this. The telephone call will not supply any personal answers but will answer questions like this so you will know if you should pursue it any further.

Question: Eligibility for Survivor's Benefits

My brother passed away on January 16, 2012. When I turn 62, am I allowed to collect survivor's benefits.

By Mary N. from Mineola, NY

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]10/15/2014

I have never heard of anybody collecting survivor's benefits from a sibling, no matter the age of the siblings. I have only ever heard of widows/widowers and minor children receiving survivor's benefits. Call your local Social Security Office to find out the correct answer.

Question: Social Security Survivor's Benefits

My son's father passed away in February 2014. His mother refused to give me custody, so we went to court on June 18th and judge told her she never had custody to give my son back. She has also been receiving his benefits as well. So she finally canceled them on July 29th.

I had applied to be the new payee since I am custodial mother, but I was refused due to a felony. So my mother who is a payee for 3 other people applied to be his payee. They sent her the same letter they sent me, "You are the payee but we are no longer paying my son's regular monthly benefits at this time." I called and they said the benefits were suspended When my mother called they said that she was going to receive the back pay from when my son's other grandmother's benefits stopped which was July. It is now October 14th and we all have spent our entire savings making sure my son has everything he needs. My son and I both have ADHD, can either of us also apply for benefits because he does have a learning disability says the school.

By Nicole

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]10/14/2014

Not everybody that is ADHD is considered disabled. If you aren't declared disabled you don't get it. As far as the school stating that your son has learning disabilities goes, if you apply for disability for him, more than likely he will have to be tested by their experts. It isn't easy to obtain. As far as survivor's benefits go, it sounds like you might have to reapply. I know lots of families that collect disability for one member or another and none of them are getting rich off it. Most of them never had any savings to begin with, they manage to scrape by.

Can I get my mother's Social Security? She passed and I'm 19, but I'm in college? My second question is, can my step dad receive my brother's SSI when he doesn't live with him and he's not his dad?

By Ciara P.

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]10/10/2014

You will have to go to your SS office for answers to your questions.

However - the SS office will not give you information concerning anyone else so your brother will have to go (with you?) to get his answer. If your brother is under 18 then usually his guardian would receive the benefits for him. Is there someone else who takes care of your brother? Guardianship usually has to be proven so he should look into this but an underage child cannot usually receive the benefits themselves unless they prove they are providing for their own support.

Question: Survivor's Benefits and SSDI

I have been receiving survivor's benefits from my deceased husband who was the stepfather of my children. Now my children's biological father has been approved to receive SSDI. Can I still get the survivor's benefit amount from the stepfather and also receive the SSDI benefits from their natural father?

By Shirley K

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]10/10/2014

You will have to go to your local SS office to get the information you need.
I do know that you cannot receive benefits from 2 different people but your benefits may be higher from your ex-husband than their stepfather.

Question: Survivor Benefits

My husband and I were together 12 years and have a 10 year old daughter. We were engaged to be married Thanksgiving 2014. Unfortunately in Feb. 2014, he was diagnoised with stage 4 kidney cancer.

We got married 8/29. He passed 9/18. Do I qualify for mother of child or care of child benefits? Is there a time limit for marriage for "mother benefits". Yes, my husband and daughter were recieving benefits before he passed.

Please help.

By MrsHelp

Question: Paternity and Survivor's Benefits

Will my daughter get survivors benefits even if her dad told Social Security he doesn't have any kids under 18 when he really does? I have court documents establishing paternity where he swore before the courts that he is her father.

By Brenda from Sacramento, CA

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]10/08/2014

I would say that you should go to your local SS office with all documents and see what they tell you. They will probably let you start a case for benefits so you will have a begin date. This is very important because this will establish a date that benefits (if and when approved) will start. This is the only way to receive back benefits if you win the case.

The SS office may disapprove this so be prepared to seek an attorney (one who specializes in SS benefits) even if you have to pay them a "share" of the amount you would receive for back payment. This is common practice for this type of case but some attorneys will have a "set" amount they will accept. Seek whichever is best for you but this may be your best route to take.

Just be sure to make your appeal within the time set in any letters from the SS office.

Question: Eligibility for SSDI Benefits

My son receives SSDI from his father, who died 21 years ago. If he gets married will he lose those benefits? He is 39 years old.

By Susan V

Most Recent Answer

By BACO [1]10/13/2014

Just call your local SSA office & ask (you don't need to go in to the office). If/when he gets married, he does need to report it to Social Security because it could affect his benefits. There is a LOT of wrong information out there. Ask the people that deal with SSA benefits.

Question: Survivor's Benefits and Marriage

I am 16 and will be 17 in exactly a month, my mother has just died 4 weeks ago from today. I'm not the one going to be the payee, so if I get married to my boyfriend will my Social Security from my mom stop even though my mom's Social Security is going to my father?

By Mercedes S.

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]10/07/2014

Do you mean that you are receiving SS benefits alone or do you & your father receive benefits from your mom's SS?

Benefits for children usually do not go beyond 18 years of age unless they are disabled. Some things have changed in the last several years so you should check with your local SS office for accurate information. Including your question about marriage.

If your father is old enough to draw SS benefits then he may be able to continue receiving a check but not necessarily from your mother's SS.

Question: Benefits for Child Receiving Survivor's Benefits

What benefits is my grandson entitled to besides survivor benefit check? Can I apply for food stamps for him only, I'm his legal guardian. He does get a survivor's benefit check.

By Carla from Athens, GA

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]10/04/2014

Talk to your Department of Social Services/Welfare Office about this matter. They can tell you the right answer. Probably they will consider your income too.

My daughter is about to have her deceased husband's baby. They conceived in January, married in March, he died in April. He was 26 years old and had started a new job, but prior to that he had paid a little into SS through employment - mostly he was a student on and off. Will my daughter receive some sort of benefit to help her raise the baby? If so from who? She is 21 and has 1.5 yrs of college and almost no work history at all. We live in Texas.

By Marlo W

Most Recent Answer

By tricia minter [11]10/06/2014

My husband died at 39. We had a 12 year old son at the time. He received SS from his father until his 18th birthday. As for a widow receiving benefits, as far as I know, you have to have been married for 10 years prior to his death & have not remarried. Then at age 60 you can draw benefits. That's how it has been for me. I recently turned 60 & am now drawing benefits. Go to your local SS office. They will give you all the information you need.

Question: Receiving SSI Benefits

Can my father receive my mother's SSI benefits after she passed away?

By Nichelle

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]10/04/2014

Talk to your local Social Security Office to get the correct answer.

Question: Availability of Survivors Benefits

We are in the process of acquiring custody of a minor relative. His father has relinquished his rights and his mother is deceased. The mother gave birth at age 17 with very little employment history. Can you tell me if he has any amount of Social Security benefits available to him if the mother never established an employment history.

By Jewel from Portland OR

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]10/03/2014

If the mother did not work and pay SS then there would be no SS benefits available.
But - according to your income status you may be able to receive benefits from your state - especially health benefits.

If you are not sure where to check I would suggest you seek out someone in your church who deals with helping people in "need".
Or go to your local Salvation Army as they always have a list of "places' to go for this type of assistance.

Question: Eligibility for Social Security Survivor Benefits

I want to ask if my mom can still claim my dad's benefits even if he died in 2006. We don't know what to do because my mom is in the Philippines and my dad was here in the US.

By Jay R.

Most Recent Answer

By Kathy [55]10/02/2014

I agree with the other poster. It's so easy to contact SS. Just do a google search for their 800 number and they will be able to direct you/your mom.

Question: Social Security Survivor Benefits Eligibility

My boyfriend and I have been together for 11 yrs, we have 6 yr old son. My boyfriend is married, but has been separated for 16 yrs, they have 2 children together. If he were to pass away, would my son be entitled to his Social Security benefits? Paternity was not legally established for our son, but there is no question that he is his father, (they look like twins) and he does not have any doubts about it. What do I need to do to secure my son is taken care of?

By TH

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]09/26/2014

And urge your husband (if you've co-habited that long he is your husband, not a "boyfriend") to get a divorce from his other wife. This situation is too complicated for words, especially when there are multiple children involved. Where I live, if a couple lives together for 2 years, they have the same status as a couple who has been married. So not being divorced and living with someone else gives a fellow two spouses. And a tragic mess if there are children and property of any kind. The laws may be different where you live, but you can be sure it is complicated and messy in your situation. Urge him to tidy up his life and make the divorce legal.

Question: Social Security Benefits

I have 3 kids; one turned 19 and his benefits stopped. My understanding was his benefits were to be divided between the other 2 and should pick up immediately. It's going on three months, how long does it take?

By Sam from NC

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]09/20/2014

Hi - where did you get the information about your present benefits? It is always best to go to the SS office for accurate information about anything that has to do with SS benefits. You cannot go by what anyone else receives or might receive as there can be many different facts that are not always told.

Take what information you have and visit your local SS office - just in case there is something you need to do and find out for sure what will happen now and in the future.

Question: Qualifying for Social Security Survivor Benefits

I am 54 years old. I am on SSDI, because I had several strokes, and am paralyzed. I was put on SSDI in September 2010. My spouse, who was 57, developed stage 4 cancer, and went on SSDI October of 2013, she died two months ago, July 5th, 2014. Am I entitled to survivor's benefits as a widower?

By Jeff B

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]09/08/2014

Hi - you will need to get correct answers from your SS office but you are already receiving benefits so I do not believe you would be entitled to a second check?

However, when you reach 65 or 66 then you may be able to draw from ONE of three sources: your own SS benefits or from your wife's regular SS benefits or from the same SSDI that you now receive. Check with your SS office.

Question: Qualifying for Social Security Benefits

What do I need as two forms of verification for my eight month old son to receive survivor benefits? My son's father died when I was five months pregnant and I established DNA from my son's grandmother and they claimed I had to have other form of proof. What other proof do I need when I got the person he came out of?

By Shaneka W.

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]08/31/2014

It appears that you were not married and that is the reason you acquired the DNA test. Did Social Security tell you to get a DNA test or is this something you decided to do?

What did the SS office tell you (or inform you by letter) when you presented the test results? That is where you will have to start as the SS office is the only one who can tell you what they will accept.

Question: Social Security Death Benefits

If I would pass away before the age of 62 would my wife and daughter be a eligible for survivor benefits?

By Jim

Most Recent Answer

By weinerdog41 [33]08/31/2014

One more thought....if your wife (after your death) remarries she will no longer receive benefits but the minor child or children will. When my Dad died my Mother's benefits stopped when she remarried my step-father but she continued to get benefits for my brother until he turned 18.

Question: Social Security Survivor Benefits

My son's friend had moved in with my family due to family problems. His father had passed away years ago. He is 15 and still going to school. Could he get his benefit checks himself, because his mother won't help him? We are here to help a child out.

By B Johnson

Most Recent Answer

By Jessica A.10/01/2014

You can receive his social security benefits. As long as he lives with you. It doesn't matter if you are his guardian or not, who ever he lives with will receive benefits to take care of him. My sister ran away and came and lived with me, and i now receive her benefits to take care of her since our father passed away. I am not yet her legal gaurdian.

Question: Child's Survivors Benefits Reduced

My wife passed away, and I filed for death benefits for my 13-yr old children, everything was approved and I was advised they would receive 75% of my wife's earned SS, and they did for 2-months, then the amount of each was reduced to where it's now only 50% of what my wife would have been due. I received no notice, no explanation. Is this common?

By Scott S

Most Recent Answer

By weinerdog41 [33]08/20/2014

Like someone else said you probably should be getting something too. My Mother received checks for herself and my two Brothers until my last Brother turned 18.

Question: SSI Benefits for Home Schooled Child

I have an 18 year old child who is a senior this year and receiving SSI benefits. This child wants to transfer to home school. Will their benefits continue through May 2015, when they graduate from high school?

By Lisa

Most Recent Answer

By weinerdog41 [33]08/20/2014

I don't quite understand. If your son is disabled he will continue to get his checks whether he is home schooled are not unless he's in a state facility who receives his check on his behalf. My 18 year old Grandson receives SSI; he has aspergers syndrome. He received his checks when he was living with his Father. The facility he is in now will be receiving his checks but a potion of that money will be given to him for personal items he has to buy. My 40 year old disabled niece who lives at home also receives SSI.

Question: Social Security Benefits

My father never married my mother, they lived together for more than fifty years. My father passed away October 27, 2013. Can my mother collect Social Security benefits even though they weren't married?

By Daniel

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]08/17/2014

weinerdog41 has a good point about "common law marriage" and there is a lot of information concerning this subject on the SS web site. The problem is that cases etc. can be very confusing and each one is a different situation.

A SS decision will be based on where you live (and where you lived at the time of cohabitation) as well as many other factors.

I believe this person should hire an attorney that specializes in SS benefits before she actually files as every statement made to the SS office will be recorded and just one incorrect comment could cause a lot of trouble in getting a good decision.

There is a child in this relationship and that many times acts in the persons favor - even if the child is now an adult.

Question: Proving Eligibility for Social Security Survivor Benefits

My daughter's father died just before she turned 2, but when I got pregnant and had her he was married. He was married when he passed. The family knows about her, his parents know about her. Now she's 3, but he didn't sign the birth certificate and I'm trying to get a DNA test done by the grandmother. She's willing, but the wife is telling her different. What do I do so my daughter can receive benefits?

By Anonymous from Tulsa, OK

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]07/13/2014

You will have to go to your local SS office in person to find out what you have to do to prove who the father is.
You will have to get certified proof that your daughter's father is this person and it will be very expensive. There is not another way to claim benefits for your daughter but think about the rewards in future years and I believe it will be worth the expense.

What if you do not have the money to pay an attorney or for tests? Maybe you can find someone to help you if they believe you have a legitimate claim. Go to your Child & Family office in your city and they can tell you if there is anything they can do or maybe find you help at a reduced price.

Your claim for benefits will not affect any other claim by anyone else.

Question: Social Security Survivor Benefit Eligibility

My dad was living with the woman, who I consider my step mother for over 30 years. She passed away June 17,2014. However they were never married. Can my father collect any of the Social Security that she was already receiving? Thank you for this information.

By Sonia C.

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]07/02/2014

Yours is one of those cases that (as usual) can only be answered by the social security office.

Is your dad drawing his own ss? Would her ss be more money? Otherwise - why would he draw her ss?

My mother passed away three years ago. I got Social Security from her until my 18th birthday. Now I have graduated from high school and want to get a job and go to college. My father claims I can not touch the money until he gets good and ready for me to have it, but he is getting money out of my account for his personal wants and will not let me get any. I need it badly. I don't live with him and need all the help I can get with insurance for my car and college funds. Since I am 18, do not live with him, and am wanting the money for school could I get it? Could I take him off my account so he can't draw anymore out for his wants? I need help; any input would be more than helpful.

By Missy D from Whiteville, NC

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]06/27/2014

Are you sure your father is using your money, instead of his own survivor's benefits? He should have been getting some of his own. Furthermore in the case of minors, which you were until recently the money that minors get is usually used to help with their expenses. It can almost be considered the same as child support.

If the surviving parent doesn't need the money to help with supporting the child then it is usually put into savings for college, or whatever. Talk to you Dad in a nice way, not confrontational and also talk to your local Social Security Office. I have a feeling there is more to this story than you are telling. For example when did you move out? If you were living at home you wouldn't have quite so many expenses.

Question: Applying for Social Security Survivor Benefits

My son has a learning disability, severe learning disorder auditory processing disorder combined with severe short term memory issues. He had support from pre -k until he left in 11th grade. He could not function without support. That was why I applied for his benifits a year ago.

I received a letter from SSI stating that, we had your case reviewed by someone else as you asked. It states we still find we were correct in denying your case by the facts, etc. I am summing up the answer they gave me. Also it states in the area below that the following.
Why we can't pay you:
You do not qualify because the facts we have do not show you are John Doe's child.

My x has passed away now. He signed our son's birth records after the hospital because we were not married at the time. He is listed as the father on all the records in the hospital etc. I just need to know is my son being denied because of the 2nd reason or first? It seems as though they are using the second reason to deny my son.

By Sue

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]06/23/2014

Your information is a little confusing. How old is your son? Where did his support come from all those years?

Are you applying for SSI for your son? Did you apply - was turned down and you ask for a review?

How long ago did your boyfriend die? Did you apply and receive survivors benefit when your son's father died? If you did not apply for these benefits, I can only ask why? If you had applied for survivors benefits then support may have continued "forever" if your child was found in need of that support.
Or where has he been receiving his "support" from?

Apparently their is some doubt as to who is the father of your son in the eyes of the "judges" of the SSI so you will have to come up with "proof" and that may not be easy. It is possible to have a DNA test done with your son and a very close relative of your boyfriend and if this is positive then SSI may drop this issue but I do not know about the disability issue.

I am only asking these questions because there are a lot of gaps in your question. No one here can help you with something like this.

It appears that you may have used your ability to ask for another review but only an attorney who specializes in SSI can really give you correct information. You may be able to discuss your case free of charge and they will know if they can take it any further.

A trip to the Social Security office may be beneficial but I feel sure they will not be able to really help you.

Question: Survivor Benefits

My mother was the payee for my daughter's survivor benefits and now my husband is. Her stepfather, her dad, passed almost 4 years ago. My main question is, the monies that were in a savings account were turned in to Social Security ($3800) over a month ago by my mom. Why is it taking Social Security so long to send that money to us?

By Kellie P. from Seminary, MS

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]06/13/2014

You are going to have to talk to your local Social Security Office about that matter.

Question: Collecting Social Security Survivor's Benefits

My son's father passed away and we were going thru the child services office to get child support and do a paternity test (he's a spitting image of him). He passed in the process of all of this so I'm trying to go though and get Social Security for him and the lady on the phone told me "we'll set you up an appointment so you can get your denial letter because he didn't work enough. My stepsister's mom passed and she never worked. What should I do?

By Katie K.

Most Recent Answer

By April [179]06/06/2014

Each case is different. I had someone argue with me that if something happened to me, my children could not collect because I work at home. Well, I do work from home, but I still pay taxes and social security. The point I am trying to make, is you can't compare apples to oranges, and listen to lay people. Listen to the ss people, they do this for a living and are trained. Also, some information they can't give out over the phone, but can in the office after they have required documents from you.

When my first husband passed, I was told I had to come into the office. On the phone I was told I may get nothing for the children. But, when I took in the marriage certificate, their birth certificates, his death certificates and SS cards and such, I did indeed get checks for them.

But, before we could be given the info, we had to prove who we were in relationship to him. So, instead of asking other people, follow their instructions and make an appointment. But, for sure, you can't collect from it if you never paid into it.

Question: Collecting Survivor Benfits

I was married for over 11 years and my wife had passed away approximately in 1997. I was just told that I could have been collecting benefits I have not been aware of. Am I still able to get benefits after 17 years since her death?

By BCT from Cohoes, NY

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]06/06/2014

Take the advice of "redhatterb" and talk to someone at your SS office.

A lot will depend on why you are applying for benefits?
Are you disabled? Can you draw benefits in your own name?
Do you have young children?
Did your wife work long enough to have SS benefits?

Use advice from "friends" as a trigger to go to your SS office for true facts.

Question: Survivor Benefits

I have three kids and their father died in 2009. However he never worked. Is their anything I can receive for them from SSI?

By Sharika

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]06/01/2014

It would appear that you, your husband and three children have survived all these years without him working so what has changed?

You may be able to receive some assistance from the government for your children (especially medical and food stamps) but the amount of help will depend on the children's age and whether you should be working to help yourself and your children.

I do not believe you will receive any benefits from Social Security but you will have to look for any answers yourself.

Thrifty readers may feel some concern for the children but I doubt that many will really "feel" for your situation as most are now and have been working and reporting income so they will have a right to benefits if something like this should happen in their family.

Question: Survivor Benefits

I have a friend who has a daughter by her ex-boyfriend. He was killed in 2012. The daughter can't receive SS survival benefits because the father didn't have enough credits when he died. So she was denied. Is there anything else she could get? Does anybody know?

By Michelle

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]05/30/2014

Just a comment about "free" insurance with a bank: this type of insurance is usually always "accident" insurance and does not cover a "natural" death.

Question: Proving Paternity for Social Security Benefits

My son's father passed away a little over a year ago. After being skeptical of whether his dad had ever worked or not, I finally went to the SSA and applied for survivor benefits and learned that my son did have benefits that he was eligible for. Now we come to where paternity had to be proven because my son's dad was incarcerated at the time of his birth so he didn't sign the birth certificate. I had tried putting him on child support but he passed away before we could do the paternity test that he had requested.

I contacted his mother in regards to writing a letter stating that her son did acknowledge my son as his, and this is where I encountered my problem. His mom told me that she would "think about it" which really made me furious! Being that her son stopped helping take care of my son 5 years prior to his death. I really just want to know what are some other ways of proving the paternity. I would also like to know if I could have her ordered by a judge to take a paternity test? I am determined to get my son what he has coming to him.

By Michelle

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]05/22/2014

I would suggest that you talk to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney try going to your local Children & Family Services center for help. It would be best if you could find an attorney who works with this type of cases.

Sometimes you can find assistance with finding a "cheap" attorney at a local church.

Can I change my benefits from my mom's name to mine? If so, how do I do it? I'm 17 and my father passed away when I was 12. I have not seen any of the money. I never knew I was getting money until I was informed by a family member.

By Semani L.

Most Recent Answer

By melinda [1]05/21/2014

I don't think you can have the money changed to your name as of yet. I believe you have to be 18, though states might be different. I would go into a SS office and speak to someone regarding it.

Question: Eligibility for Survivor Benefits

Could this be fraud or is the law being bent? My husband was previously married and had a child from that marriage. He and I were married a short time after his divorce and had children of our own. His ex did not want their child to know about his dad and had him adopted by another man, someone who had been part of his life the whole time.

My husband, then died 7 months after it was finalized. Because my husband relinquished his rights and all financial obligations, how are they able to claim survivors benifets if the law clearly states my husband had to be the legal guardian of his child and was not?

By Confused -N

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]05/17/2014

I applaud Charlotte Lenox for stating that fraud is everyone's business as I surely agree.
I do feel that reporting anything should be done by the person who sees it or becomes aware of it. Reporting can also be done anonymously either on the telephone or in writing. All Reports are taken seriously and resolution has to be documented.

I work part-time in this type of environment and know that some people change their mind after they get to the office - conscience? - or - afraid their identity will be disclosed? No one should feel guilty about reporting someone who is abusing the system because - after all - we are the tax payers.

The "guilty" party may surmise as to who they think reported them but all reports are kept confidential unless a paper is signed giving permission to disclose your name.

Question: Survivor Benefits

My grandson in 18 and will finish high school 5-29-14. I know his survivor check will stop once he is no longer in school. Are these checks paid in arrears? May 14th for April one more check in June for the month of May?

By Meme

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]05/12/2014

Call your local Social Security Office and ask them.

Me and my husband married in '02, divorced in '11, and then remarried in '13. He passed away the other day, but while we was split up he had another child by someone he never married, not 100% on paternity. Will she receive benefits for the child or will she have to prove paternity? We have a 12 yr old and a 4 month old together.

By KS

Most Recent Answer

By Barbara R.05/19/2014

The way I see it is she should care because childrens benefits are split by how many children there are. For example while married to my ex he had two kids and we had 1. When each child was added the same amount was split 3 ways then as they stopped being eligible due to being 18 the other two's amount increased now our child is the only one receiving benefits.

My daughter's grandmother is deceased and since she is the only grandchild can she draw from her?

By c.laquasha from Jacksonville, FL

Most Recent Answer

By susan [5]05/13/2014

Social security doesn't care that she is an only grandchild. She could only draw from her grandmother, if her grandmother was her legal guardian with full custody.

I was adopted out when I was 2 years old. My biological mother was always a part of my life. I stayed with her in the hospital until she died. Social Security office contacted my mom to sign me up for benefits so my mom took my adoption papers down to SS office and they later called and said I could not draw benefits. Is this true? There are 3 other kids and they all got benefits even the youngest and she had no rights to him. Can you please help me?

By Amanda

Most Recent Answer

By susan [5]05/13/2014

If you were legally adopted, your biological mother signed away her legal rights to you, and you lost your rights to her benefits. Should your adoptive parents die, and both the deceased parent and yourself meet the qualifications, you would be able to get benefits from them. If your biological mother signed away her legal rights to another child, and that child is claiming benefits from her, he is doing so illegally. If caught, benefits will have to be paid back, and the person filing can be charged for fraud (fine and jail time).

Can a sister receive Social Security when brother passes? My brother is not married, with no children. When he passes can his SS benefits be passed on to his only surviving family member...his sister?

By Fran

Most Recent Answer

By Cataptra L.08/20/2014

This happened to my wife too, and I think it is ridiculous that SS does not allow a sibling to get these benefits, yes, he had a child, but she did not take care of her father, my wife did for many years during his disability and illness.

She drove him to Dr. appts., drove him anywhere he needed to go, he lived with us and that was a nightmare for me (her husband) because he was verbally abusive toward her and myself, he was also an alcoholic.

And we were the ones that had to make all the funeral arrangements, pay for whatever was needed, and we get zero in SS Death Benefits.

This needs to change so those that actually DO care for their brother or any sibling can get the death benefit.

I could see it going to his daughter providing she cared for him and he lived in her home! He did not.

We had that burden, she wouldn't even allow her father to come live with her because she wanted no responsibility for any of his problems.

So I think it is grossly unfair that my wife went through his abuse, and we pay out for everything and we can't even be entitled to the Death benefit which is a lousy $255?

Again, this needs to change for those that do the actual care and take on the expense of a sibling, no matter if a child or "divorced" spouse is living or not, if they did nothing they should get nothing, but as SS has it, they do nothing, someone else foots the bill, and they get "free money!" I'm sorry, there is something very wrong with this setup and it really angers me that we went through Hell and trials and tribulations with him, only for someone else to be able to collect that "Death benefit!

And they sure won't pass that money back to us (they won't even apply for it, and if they did, they would not give my wife a cent of it - that just is NOT right!), which, again, this SS Death benefit in my opinion is rightfully due my wife for what she endured taking care of him, and transporting him to the best of her own ability.

Question: SSI Benefits

My stepson turned 18 on April 23. What month would he recieve his last check?

By booz b.

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]05/04/2014

You will have to call your local Social Security Office and talk to them. Do you mean SSI(Supplemental Security Income) or do you mean Survivor's Benefits? SSI or SSD usually goes to disabled people. Survivor's benefits go to a person whose spouse of parent has died. The SSI usually continues until the person get to where they can support themselves.

Question: Receiving Survivor Benefits

My dad passed away 3 years ago and I just recently turned 18. I have a F in geometry class and I plan on taking geometry over the summer. So can you still receive the survivor benefits?

By Anissa L. from Los Angeles, CA

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]05/04/2014

Call your local Social security Office and talk to them. Have you been supporting yourself for the last three years or has the benefits been going to an adult to help them with the cost of raising you?

Question: Can My Children Receive Survivor Benefits?

My mother had custody of my two daughters. They are both under the age of 7, and I would like to know if they can receive benefits because my mother had drawn Social Security for the last 8 years and she is now deceased. She had custody for the last 5 years now before her recent death.

By BB

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]05/04/2014

The first question as stated by another responder would be if your mother had legal custody given by the court? If she did then who has legal guardianship now - after her death?

I am sure that would have been set up by the court also. That is the person who should be going to the Social Security office for information on receiving benefits. No one else can obtain that information. You may be able to get general information other places - but not facts.

If by "custody" you mean they lived with her then most likely they cannot receive benefits - but - only the SS office can tell you for sure. But even if they are not eligible for SS benefits I am sure there are plenty of other benefits available for them and the person who takes care of them.

Question: Receiving Survivor Benefits

I just did some researching about receiving benefits if parents pass. My mother has been deceased for 2 yrs and I didn't know at the time, even though she was receiving benefits for disability, that I would be eligible to receive money. I would like to know what I need to do to claim my benefits before it's too late.

By Nichola

Most Recent Answer

By susan [5]05/05/2014

Was your mom able to work long enough and pay enough into the system for benefits to even be available? Either call you local SS office or get on SS website to get answers to you questions, or find out what you need to get together in order to file. You are aware, that a child's benefits will go to whoever is taking care of you, for your care. Unless you have been emancipated, you probably will not get the monthly checks.

My husband died 11/2. His 15 year old son was living with us at the time, and had been for 4-5 years except for a brief couple of months when he lived with his mom. My step son continued to live with me for 5 months after his dad died, but his mother lied to SS and told them he was with her and began receiving benefits. I called SS and was told they could not talk to me because I was not a biological parent. What do I do? I have written proof that this child was living with me and Mom was receiving his survivors benefits and not forwarding any payments to us.

By Terry W.

Most Recent Answer

By susan [5]05/05/2014

Who is his legal guardian? He/She is the one entitled to his benefit check. If you aren't his legal guardian, you are entitled to nothing. Unfortunately, this happens when marriages are dissolved and children are involved. This is why it's best to have wills drawn up and legal issues resolved before something happens. If his mother doesn't have legal guardianship, you may need to talk to an attorney.

Question: Receiving Disability and Survivor Benefits

I am currently receiving disability benefits and in addition my children receive them based on my disability. My ex-husband just passed away and I am wondering will my childrens' survivor benefits be lower because I am on disability or will they receive the full amount?

By Melissa E.

Question: Directly Depositing Social Security Survivor Benefits

My daughter's benefits are directly deposited to my bank account. My bank sold out to another bank. All my information will change soon. How do I change my direct deposit information for her benefits? My daughter is under 18 so she cannot create an account with SSI. I have one, but her benefits do not show up on my account with SSI. So what do I do?

By Roger Miller

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]04/24/2014

Talk to your local Social Security Office. As far as that goes, I would think your bank should have been able to help you.

Question: Collecting Survivor Benefits While in School

I am currently 17 and will be graduating around three months before my 18th birthday and I was wondering when do they stop my benefits or do they continue if I am a full-time student at college?

By Chelsea

Most Recent Answer

By susan [5]05/02/2014

Once upon a time, benefits continued through college; they no longer do that. Now, they usually stop when a person turns 18 or finishes high school, whichever comes first. I think there are a few cases where they may last longer, like a cognitive impairment or blindness, but I'm not sure. Call or go to the website. They have lots of general questions and answers.

My husband passed away 6 weeks ago. Is the money he last got on his SSI benefits mine to get?

By Debbie

Most Recent Answer

By susan [5]05/02/2014

Those were his benefits, not yours; I do know that SS has requested refunds when people have died. They pro-rate the money for that month by the number of days the person had lived. You will have to visit an office and file paperwork to get things in order: to stop his payments and to start survivor's benefits for you and any children who might collect payments. He will also be allowed a small death benefit, I believe only $200.00. You should do this as soon as possible. Call first to see what you should take with you.

Question: Confusion Regarding Social Security Survivor Benefits

My son's father passed away a couple of months ago. We went to the Social Security office and found out that he is eligible for the monthly benefits. I was just informed that another woman is claiming that she is carrying my son's father's child. If she does DNA on a close family member, proves paternity, and starts receiving monthly benefits for her child as well, will the amount that my son gets decrease? If so, how much of a decrease will he get or is there a certain percentage that each child receives?

By Confused

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]04/21/2014

Hi - There should have been a lot more information in the letter you received from the SS office - especially someone to call or write that would be familiar with your case. Follow the information in the letter or go to the SS office and show them the letter.

You do not say whether you were married to your son's father so anything would be a guess. SS benefits is not a first come first served but you need positive information from the SS office.

Usually at this age a surviving parent receives payments as well as the child and different rules apply when there are more than one child (family) claiming benefits.

I would not waste time looking for answers that no one can give you but the SS office.

My sister-in-law passed away leaving behind two beautiful kids. My question is would they be able to receive any type of benefits even though she lacks work history? She was on disability due to health issues that made it impossible for her to work. Please help me.

By Mele Feofa'aki F.

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]04/16/2014

You are going to have to call your local Social Security Office to find out the correct answer.

Question: Emancipated Youth Receiving SSI Benefits

I'm 16 and pregnant. I was emancipated, and am receiving my father's benefits in my name. My question would be would my benefits be cut off if I get married, but I'm still attending high school and under 18? Also when my baby is born will my SSI be cut off or raised/cut down? What will happen? Another question is at what age will my benefits be cut off?

By Marissa L.

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]04/15/2014

Call your local Social Security Office and talk to them, they are the only ones that know the correct answer.

My daughter's father just passed away. He is on my daughter's birth certificate; he signed it. But his family says my daughter ain't his. I always would tell him let's get a DNA, but he would say no. My question is if I apply for the SSI will they have to do a DNA test on my baby?

By Lucy

Most Recent Answer

By weinerdog41 [32]04/17/2014

Gosh NO. Social Security Administration is not in the business of confirming ones DNA. If the Father's name is on the birth certificate that's what they will go with.

My father passed away, when I was 14 years old, on 4/20/2012. My mother applied for his death benefits for herself, my younger sister, and me. It was approved and she has been receiving it for quite some time, and still to this day. She isn't the best with money, it doesn't get spent on my sister or myself for food, clothing, or anything of that sort. We are all living with my grandmother and she pays for everything.

I will be turning 17, in a month. I was under the knowledge that when I turned 16 I could start receiving it myself, directly to me. I'm not the average teenager who wants it just to waste it away; I have a part-time job. I am ending my junior year right now and am ahead of the game. I'm starting college this summer and my first year of college; while, attending my final year of high school. I could use the money to be into my college fund. So, my question is can I receive it?

Yes, I am well aware that I should call Social Security. I'm just trying to see if I can, before I have to spend hours on hold, getting sent all over the place.

By Katherine

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]04/21/2014

Hi - you are wasting valuable time trying to get answers any place but the SS office. Telephone is okay but hard to get individual answers as they cannot safely identify who is talking, and they cannot change anything. Make an appointment and go in person. Is this worth waiting for?

It seems your mother is the one who should go with you but she may not wish to give up any of the money she receives.

Your grandmother would be the next logical choice but she may not wish to go with you either - for any number of reasons.

Basically. children are not usually awarded the payment unless they are self supporting or living at college. There are not always "set" rules as many cases just do not fall in a "category".
If it is true that you live with your grandmother and your mother does not give her money for your support or saving it for you (provable) then rightfully your grandmother is the one who should be receiving the check. Sometimes this is difficult to prove if legal custody has not been changed to your grandmother.

Sometimes it comes down to who is claiming children on their Federal tax return? Your mother may be claiming/doing things she should not be doing - legally - so be careful how things are worded and give lots of thought before "convicting" your mother.

Just wanted to throw out some of the things I have seen happen so you, your mother and your grandmother could give this some thought before talking to the SS office.

Just curious - is your grandmother (or mother) aware that you are wanting to make this change?

Question: Appealing a Denial of Social Security Survivor Benefits

I had my son when I was 17 and his dad passed away 3 months after he was born (he had just turned 20). I went to the SS office in town to get benefits for my son and they said they could do nothing because he didn't work long enough for my son to get benefits.

His dad had worked for Legoland for a few months and then quit to go back to school. He was only 20 so I can see why he didn't work long enough. My son is now 3. I work full time plus take online classes I was just wondering if there was anything that I could do; if it's even worth appealing.

By Rosemary

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]04/10/2014

In order for a person to receive Social Security and/or SS Disability they do have to work a certain number years. I think it is called quarters. You are going to have to call your local SS Office and set up an appointment to talk to them in order to see if you can find out more information.

I'm 17 and have been staying with my grandmother for the past 4 months. I was receiving death benefits from my deceased father. My mother claims that my checks have since stopped coming to her. She hasn't given me any of my benefits since I've been at my grandmother's. I was wondering can I still collect my back pay when I'm 18 or what do I do?

By Savannah

Most Recent Answer

By Janette [83]04/11/2014

My father was killed when I was 14 years. old I am the oldest of six. When I turned 18 (I am now 58 yrs. old) my benefit stopped. As each of my siblings turned 18 they also stopped. Let me tell you something.The death benefit belongs to you and not your mother. She could get into a lot of trouble taking your money. It was your father that died.

One more thing...Your mother is entitled to draw a benefit from Social Security for herself because her husband died as long as she never remarries and had children from the deceased. My mother never knew this. It was years and I did some research and found this out. She never got back pay from SS but she had a monthly benefit payment of $800.00.

Let the Social Security Administration know of what is going on. Your mother will by law have to pay you back what she has taken from you. It doesn't matter whether you lived with her or not. That money is yours because your father died. Call the SS Administration and they will tell you the same thing. Let your mother know what she also is entitled to. Hope this helps and I am sorry for your loss.

My daughter's biological father is deceased verified by a sibling DNA test. My current husband, at the time she was born, was my boyfriend and is listed as the father. He no longer supports her since the confirmation of paternity. How does she get benefits from her deceased biological father?

By TD from NC

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]04/07/2014

With all of those variables it will probably take a supervisor at the SS office to give you any answers. Call and make an appointment and be sure to take any information (forms, SS numbers, marriage license?, etc.).

Question: Mother of Child Benefits

Even though my child's father and I were never married do I qualify for mother of child benefits? My daughter does receive benefits, she is only 10.

By twhite

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]04/07/2014

How are you receiving benefits for your child? Why did you not inquire about your benefits when applying for your child? You will only be able to receive correct answers from the Social Security office. They will be able to tell you if you can or what you may have to do to be able to receive benefits.

Question: Social Security Survivor Benefits and Teens

My husband passed and my 2 sons and I have been receiving the benefits! Both are in school, a 16 and 17 year old. As soon as the youngest turned 16 they sent me a letter saying that he will no longer receive benefits as he doesn't need care as a child! I do not understand.

By Andreia from Costa Mesa, CA

Most Recent Answer

By susan [5]03/31/2014

Benefits usually last until the child turns 18 or graduates from high school. Maybe they misread the child's age or had it posted incorrectly. Call to get the info verified or corrected.

I am 19. I just lost my dad New Year's in a car crash. My parents had been divorced for 10/11 years. I am one of three children my dad had. He had two other twin boys that are 18. I'm a girl. I'm not enrolled in school because I have no income to pay for school. I'm not working. I'm unable to work because I take care of my grandma who had stroke 3 years ago. In just want to know if there are any benefits I can receive.

By Maddison

Most Recent Answer

By Carol Swanson [17]03/31/2014

There is a toll free number for Social Security that you should call. Or phone your local Social Security office found in the phone book. I received Social Security benefits when I was your age because my father was receiving SS benefits. However, I was enrolled in college as a full-time student.

I encourage you to contact your local State Employment Office as they may be able to direct you to the correct office to apply for education or training opportunities. You will need to be trained to do something to earn a living for yourself and not be dependent on others for money your entire life. I suggest you aim high. Colleges have scholarships for students who do not have the money to attend. I believe need is one of the criteria used to determine who receives a scholarship. Don't forget you can also receive a student loan to help you. My children also had part time jobs.

I have faith in you and believe you can go to school, work part time, and care for your grandmother. You have it inside of you to do this. It is up to you to dig down and do it.

Warm regards for you and your future,
Carol in PA

Question: SSI Benefits for a Child

My son's father died when I was pregnant and I have applied for SSI benefits twice and was denied. I am now waiting for a hearing. I am not able to obtain paternity because his family refuses to do a DNA test. What can I do to get my son approved to receive his father's benefits?

By Carli H.

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]03/25/2014

It appears that you and your son's father were not married - correct?
You will have to prove your case for sure.

Why can't you get a DNA test done?
Who has the child?
Why are the "grandparents" not wanting a DNA test?

Those are some of the questions that need to be answered before you request help anywhere.
I do not believe anyone on this site can help you.

My son's father past away when I was four months pregnant. I recently gave birth in January. Do I need to get a lawyer to go through this whole process of trying to get survivor's benefits for him? I've been told so many stories about what to do. Is there a way I can do this myself so it won't be so expensive? I am unemployed and caring for a newborn.

By Mariya

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]03/21/2014

Have you talked to the local Social Security Office? That is where you will get the correct answer.

The man listed on my child's birth certificate is not her biological father and he recently passed. I didn't know that until a home paternity test was done on another man who is her biological father. Is my child entitled to survivors benefits of the man on her birth certificate?

By Karen

Most Recent Answer

By mary martin [2]03/21/2014

I wonder at all of the people asking Social Security questions on this site. You all need to ask the people at the Social Security office these questions. All situations are different and so are the laws that apply to them. Why would you want to ask anyone else. The number for your local office is in your phone book. Stop asking the wrong people.

I'm 17 and I'm working at McDonald's. I get $7.25 an hour. I work 32 hours a week. I was wondering if I am getting a Social Security Survivor benefit check, will I still get it if I'm working?

By Alexus from Richmond, VA

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]03/21/2014

Are you getting the Survivor's Benefits or are they actually for the person that is raising you to help support you? Have your guardian/parent call the local Social Security Office and talk to them. That is the only place you will get the correct answer.

Question: Social Security Survivor's Benefit Eligibility

My granddaughter lost her biological father last November. She is 9 years old and receives her father's Social Security benefits. Her mother and stepfather are going to have a baby which will take the stepfather's last name. My granddaughter wants the same last name. My daughter is considering adding stepfather's last name to her father's last name. No adoption, just adding a second last name. Will this affect the SS benefits she now receives?

By Vivian

Most Recent Answer

By sweetie127503/28/2014

Doing a legal name change is a simple process and does not affect benefits. My children had it done. And went through same scenario.

Question: Eligibility for Supplemental and Survivor Benefits

Can my niece receive my mom's Supplemental Social Security disability check? My sister passed away in 2008 leaving my niece to be raised by my mom whom also passed away in May 2013. My sister never worked and neither did my mom. My mom was receiving SSI (supplemental disability) checks because she was mentally disabled. My niece is 15 years old and is being raised by my aunt whom is also disabled and has very little income. Will my niece qualify for any Social Security survivor benefits? Any advice will help thanks. We are from Texas.

By Letty from San Antonio, TX

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]03/19/2014

The state you live in doesn't make any difference. You have to call your local Social Security Office and talk to them. They are the only people that can give anybody the correct answer.

I get survivor benefits from my dad passing away in 2001. I'm only 17 and I'm pregnant. Can I still get those benefits while being with child?

By Kayla

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]03/20/2014

Have you been getting the Survivor's Benefits or have they been going to your surviving parent/guardian who has been supporting you? I find it hard to believe that they would have been going to a minor, because those benefits are intended to help raise the minor. You will have to call your local Social Security Office and talk to them, and more than likely being you are a minor, they will have to talk to the adult that has been supporting you.

My 5 year old daughter's dad recently passed away and he was not a U.S. citizen. She was born in the U.S. and he is on the birth certificate.

By Hannah

Most Recent Answer

By susan [5]03/25/2014

Did he have a social security number and legally work in the US? He would have had to pay into the system in order for it to pay out. Did he work in any other country and does it have any type of benefits?

My child's father passed away. Can my child receive any type of benefits if the father never worked?

By Keisha from Holliman

Most Recent Answer

By susan [5]03/25/2014

Go to socal security's website; they have the answer to many questions normally asked. That being said, a person must pay in for several years before any money can be drawn. If no money was paid in, no credits were earned, and no benefits are available. Call to find out the ins and outs of your particular situation.

My father died when I was 12 which was 2 years ago. Do I receive any money until I'm 18?

By Jt

Most Recent Answer

By April [179]03/16/2014

Actually, in some states, such as Missouri. The child can get it in their name at age 17, as in Missouri you are considered an adult at 17.

Normally, you receive it until your 18 birthday, or until the month you graduate from high school, whichever happens last. But, if you are disabled or certain other qualifications, it can be even longer. You will need to call social security to ask them for your specific case.

I am almost 20. My dad died when I was 4 and I received my benefits till I turned 18. if I go back to school before I turn 23 could I reapply for my survivor benefits?

By Sinjin

Most Recent Answer

By Paula Jo C. [6]03/16/2014

I say yes, as long as your are in school. But again as it was suggested go to your Social Security office and find out the truth of the matter. After all the folks there work for all of us including you as a young adult.

I am on Social Security Disability. Can I draw from my husband's Social Security; he passed away 18 years ago, and also keep getting my disability check? I'm 63 year old.

By Catherine

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]03/13/2014

The only way to get the correct answer is to call your local Social Security Office.

Question: Social Security Survivors Benefits

I am the representative payee for my niece and nephew. My niece will be graduating in June and her survivors benefits will end. Will my 14 year old nephew's survivors benefits increase?

By Jennifer Rose

Most Recent Answer

By Rita Haas H. [1]03/14/2014

Most of the time, Social Security benefits have a set amount and if there are more than one beneficiary, these benefits are split. The fact that one is not receiving them any more could very well mean that the younger one will have increased benefits. You need to call your Social Security office to find out the specifics.

My mom died in 1972 when my brothers were 15 and 13 and I was 10. We never received any survivors benefits. Was that correct, that we received nothing?

By Tammy Jo

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]03/13/2014

Who did you live with after your mother died? They would be the one that would have received any SS benefits if any were available. A certain number of quarters has to be paid into SS for anyone to receive benefits from that account.

The only place to get reliable information is to visit your local SS office.

Question: Social Security Benefits for Students After 18

I have had custody of my granddaughter since she was 7. She has received Social Security benefits from her deceased father until she turned 18. Are there no benefits for her now that she is in college and needs the money the most? We, as grandparents on SS are finding it very hard to help her since her benefits have stopped.

By RMS

Most Recent Answer

By Paula Jo C. [6]03/12/2014

I was a widow with a child and we collected on my husband [her father's] Social Security for years - as long as the child is in school she is to receive her father's social security. Perhaps 'you' should call the Social Security office in your state and ask them IF she is still entitled, then ask them if they will replace all of her missed checks retroactively from the time they stopped her check until now because of her being over 18 BUT still in school?

I know they [SS] can be a blessing... good luck to you on this.

Question: Social Security Survivor Benefits for Students

We live in Florida. My son is 19, but is in his senior year in high school. Social Security sent a letter stating since he turned 19 in November he is no longer eligible for survivor benefits. It was my understanding as long as he was a full time student in good standing he would be eligible for benefits up to the age of 22.

By Sheila

Most Recent Answer

By Fran [10]03/11/2014

I am a retired SSA employee. In the early 80s, legislation was passed by Congress that cut back on many types of social security dependents benefits, including the one for full time students (used to be if full time in school/college could receive checks up to and through age 22). Student benefits are now payable to elementary and/or secondary school students provided they are under age 19.

My son's mom just passed. We were married, but have been separated for 10 + years and never gotten a divorce. We were living in different states. I have him full time and was never given child support, will he get SS benefits?

By Pat O.

Most Recent Answer

By HAPPYINHARNED [13]03/09/2014

If your child is under 18 and your ex wife worked, yes, he will draw a check and you will also draw the same amount for taking care of him/her. Call the local SS office. They will help you or go to the local office. If you call, they will tell you what to bring with you to sign up.

My mother passed away 57 years ago and I don't know if SSI benefits were ever paid out. Would I still be able to claim them and how would I find out?

By VMF

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]03/07/2014

How old were you when your mother passed away? I would have thought if you were a minor, being raised by somebody else they would have applied for the benefits to help with the expense of raising you.

My husband was murdered in 2003. We had two children 11 and 18 months. When I signed up, I only signed up my kids because it seemed in the long run they would receive the most benefits, plus I was only 32 and the likelihood of myself getting remarried was considered.
I did remarry, but divorced in 2012. My daughter has since been dismissed from drawing due to her age. My son is still receiving benefits, but I was wondering, now that I am no longer married, can I still draw the widows benefits? And I do work, so would it be wise?

Thanks in advance!

By Jennifer G

Most Recent Answer

By Jackie [28]03/06/2014

I receive that benefit as well as my social security. One thing I do know is this you would have had to be married to your deceased husband at least ten years. It just might "pay" you to call your SS office. I hope this helps.

Question: Applying for Survivor Benefits

I want to know why my daughter got denied survivor benefits. She is my husband's daughter. I also brought the birth certificate with his name on it.

By Scheri from Detroit, MI

Most Recent Answer

By April [179]03/04/2014

There are numerous reasons, but the SS office has to be the one to answer that. His has to be listed on the birth certificate, she needs to be a minor still attending school. He would have had to pay into the system for a certain length of time, not been in certain types of legal trouble, or have other dependents that already took all the support he had credited to him. When you received your letter stating she was denied, it should have stated the reason. All you have to do is call the 800 number and ask.

My ex-wife passed 7 years ago and our daughter is 15. She will turn 16 this June and I received a letter stating my benefits will stop, but hers will continue. 2 Questions: will her benefits increase when mine stops and will her benefits stop if I remarry? Thank you.

By Earl D.

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]03/03/2014

Call your local Social Security Office and talk to them. They are the people that can give you the correct answer.

My friend was stabbed and past away. He didn't work, so is his son eligible to get Social Security?

By Sc

Most Recent Answer

By weinerdog41 [32]03/02/2014

If the father didn't pay into social security the son is not eligible. None gets social security unless they pay in.

My son is 4 years old. His father passed away when he was 15 while I was pregnant. He had never had a job I have looked into getting a DNA test to be able to get my son's father's name on his birth certificate and was told I could get SS benefits. I am skeptical about spending the money to get the DNA test and a lawyer if I won't be able to receive any assistance. If someone could help guide me it be great. Thank you.

By Kim

Most Recent Answer

By weinerdog41 [32]03/02/2014

Do I understand you correctly? The Father was a teen when he got you pregnant and died at 15 years old? In any case social security has to have been paid in for your son to receive benefits. So if the son's Father never worked and never paid in your son is not eligible. May be wrong but don't think so. Better call SS administration.

Question: Survivor's Benefits Overpayment

I am 18 years old with a 18 year old girlfriend. We have a beautiful daughter together that I love with all my heart. But here is the trick, I get a SS check for my father dying while I was still in school.

When my girlfriend gave birth I was forced to drop out to go to work to provide for them, but kept getting my check every month. I know this was wrong, but the check was the only thing getting us by. Now 9 months after I dropped out I have to file taxes for the year of 2013 and I'm worried.

What's the worst that could happen? and what are the steps to making it right? My family can't afford for me to be locked up and I just need advise. Please reply as quickly as possible. Thank you.

By a.m

Best Answers

By cybergrannie [30]02/28/2014

I certainly agree that you need to go to your SS office as soon as possible so you will know where you stand.

I would like to add that I applaud you for wanting to do the right thing as I know some people would not take this stand and just wait to see if they were ever "caught".

I do not know how much money you make each month but you may be eligible for some sort of assistance and even a small amount might help.

According to what solution the SS offers you, it may be wise to try and get some legal advise. Go to your local church and see if they can recommend someone to help you.

I hope they will let you pay it off in small monthly payments.
Good luck and please - go to your SS office and do not take advise from just "anyone".

Best Answers

By redhatterb [1]02/27/2014

Your best answer would be to talk to your local Social Security Office. My guess is you will be expected to pay all or part of it back. Didn't your mother advise you on what to do at the time you dropped out of school?

Question: Receiving SSI Check After Father Passed Away

I was 19 years old when my father passed away in 2003. A person from the SSI building called me to collect a check from him. When I got there they took the check back, because his name was not on my birth certificate. What can I do? Can I still receive that check?

By Angelena N. from Jamaica, NY

My father passed away when I was in the fourth grade. I'm just now graduating high school and am about to turn 18. I was receiving Social Security, he was also disabled when he died. Can I still receive it for college?

By Caleb from Chickasha, OK

Best Answers

By cybergrannie [30]02/28/2014

Hi - only the SS office can answer your question.
Be sure to take yours and your dad's SS numbers, as well as a copy of his death certificate.

You may not receive the same benefits but you may be able to get some money for college. Be sure to check with your school's counselor for the kinds of help you may be eligible for.

Good luck and please stay in college if you can.

Best Answers

By Brianna P.02/27/2014

You'll have to get proof of paternity through family court to get the father's name on the birth certificate. I'm going through it now even though my son's grandmother called right after his father died and they said to just come in. I don't need anything. Good thing when I got his birth certificate without his father's name, I called and figured out how to get it on there or I'd be waiting longer than I already have to. I have a court date next month then I have to make another SS appointment once I have the proof.

Question: Continuing Eligibility for Social Security Survivor Benefits

My daughter is 16 and wants to get her GED, if she quits school to do this will her survivor benefits be cut off? We live in Mississippi. I thought with survivor benefits they continue to get them no matter what till age 18. I may be wrong.

By Nickie from Ellisville, MS

Most Recent Answer

By Noella [9]03/07/2014

It is my understanding that a child must stay in school to receive Social Security Survivor benefits. Please encourage her to do so.

Will I still receive my check if my mom signs guardianship over to her boyfriend?

By Chelsea

Best Answer

By redhatterb [1]02/25/2014

How old are you? If you are 18 and have graduated from high school you shouldn't receive survivor's benefits anyway. If you are a minor the check doesn't go directly to you, anyway, because it is supposed to be used to support you. Talk to your local Social Security Office.

Question: Survivor Benefits from Both Parents

My niece lost her mother (my twin sister) 10 years ago, and we recently found out her biological father passed away 4months ago. I have guardianship of her now, and she is 15 years old. Can she receive benefits from her biological father as well or can she receive benefits in place of the amount she currently is getting from her mom's passing?

By Rachelle

Best Answers

By cybergrannie [30]02/25/2014

redhatterb is absolutely correct - the Social Security office is the only place that can give you the correct answer.

I can tell you this much from experience - You should be able to chose which person to receive benefits from so you should be able to choose the highest benefit. It will go smoother if you have their social security numbers.

You will only receive benefits from one person.

Best Answers

By redhatterb [1]02/23/2014

Call your local Social Security Office and talk to them. They are the only people that will know the correct answer.

My friend's husband died of lung cancer/Agent Orange in 1984, after retiring from the navy. She never received his Social Security benefits. Is she still entitled to them after all these years?

By Lou

Best Answer

By cybergrannie [30]02/24/2014

I believe this is a question your friend needs to address to the SS office in person.

Question: Social Security Benefits for Students

I divorced my daughter's father 10 years ago. About 4 years ago I found out that my daughter qualified to received SS benefits because, I believe, her father was mentally disabled. The woman at the SS office wouldn't reveal what the circumstances were, but she had a look on her face like something was extremely unusual.

The ex was receiving SS and did not pay child support. My question is this; my daughter is turning 18 in June and intends on attending a 4 year college this fall. I found out, about a year ago, that her father was no longer picking up his SS checks and hadn't for a couple of years and actually was unable to be traced. He is pretty much missing. Would my daughter qualify to continue receiving SS since she is going in to college and what if her father actually is deceased? Would that qualify her for any assistance? The family, that I keep in touch with, has not heard from him for years. At one point, prior to no longer being heard from, he was living in the streets and homeless.

By DJF

Best Answer

By cybergrannie [30]02/24/2014

You should be able to get all the information you need from your local SS office. The only information you need on your ex-husband is his SS number and your daughter's SS number. Age may be a factor here also.

Pay a visit to your local SS office as they are the only ones that can tell you about any benefits.

I was just curious to see if I can get any Social Security benefits from when my father died back in January 2, 2003?

By Donna from Middleboro, MA

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]02/23/2014

Call your local Social Security Office and make an appointment to go and talk to them. They know more about it than we do.

My daughter is 19 and a full time student. Did the benefits change to 21, when the child is a full time student?

By Leighla T.

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]02/22/2014

Hi - the only reliable information will be available at your local SS office. Some info can be obtained over the telephone but in person is better.

Has your daughter been receiving benefits? If so, were they stopped? If benefits were stopped then you should have received a letter stating why and giving information where to call or go for more information.

Question: Receiving Social Security or Survivor's Benefits

My mom passed away when I was 15, and my dad has never been in the picture so my brother took guardianship of me. We went to Social Security to see if I could get survivor's benefits and they denied us. Shouldn't I be getting Social Security money until I turn 18? Please help, I don't know what to do or how to go about this.

By Anthony M.

Best Answer

By redhatterb [1]02/20/2014

Did the Social Security Office tell you why you were denied? There has to be a reason. There is a possibility that your parents have never paid into Social Security, and if they did, not long enough to qualify for drawing benefits. You should receive a letter from them explaining the reason why you were denied. That being said none of us can answer your question.

Question: Receiving Social Security Survivor's Benefits in College

My 18 year old daughter starts college in August of 2014. Does she continue to draw her dad's Social Security death benefits?

By Christina H.

Best Answer

By Paula Jo C. [6]02/17/2014

I believe as long as they are in school they are able to receive the monies. Why not go to the Social Security Office to get an answer to your question from the ones working there. I think you would be more comfortable having the answer coming from the folks that really know the answer because they work there wouldn't you? I know I would.

I'm 19, and if I am in college would I still be eligible to get Social Security from my father's passing?

By Jade

Most Recent Answer

By Paula Jo C. [6]02/17/2014

Yes you would! Please go to the Social Security Office yourself (with your SS card & number printed on it, and also the SS# of the parent that is dead). Explain the problem your having with the ladies or men there that are working and watch how they can help you and fast. What you are experiencing is against the law I believe so, it may get your mother in alot of trouble. You might want to think about that aspect of the problem your having. You are in our prayers!

Question: Information on Social Security Survivor's Benefits

My brother recently died and he has two children. Their mother receives their money now; she is not giving it to them. Can they switch it over to mother or I?

By KC

Best Answers

By April [179]02/16/2014

My children get ss since their father passed away. The money is for their food, their share of rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, dental, eye glasses, class ring, yearbook, clothing, shoes, their share of a overnight trip if we take one, field trips.

If you look at the check, you will notice it is made to the adult whom they live with. Mine is made out to me, "on behalf of" their name. The money is not to be given to the children to blow. On the other hand, my kids are in high school now, so I am saving part for college, and I do give them each an allowance out of it.

Best Answers

By redhatterb [1]02/16/2014

Are the kids minors? As a whole the money is intended to support them, not for them to spend on whatever they want. Furthermore, it isn't needed for actual support, how do you know their mother isn't saving it for college? This is something like child support, which is intended to help provide the necessities that a kid needs, not to let them have all kinds of fun with it. Talk to your local Social Security Office and see what they say.

Question: Stepchildren and Social Security Survivor's Benefits

My son age 15 at the time, was not living in the home with us at the time my husband, my son's step father passed away. My son lived with us for a year and a half, then went to live with his biological father for a year and a half, then came back to live with me after my husband passed away. Is my son, his step son, eligible for benefits if we supported him in that year and a half he was living with us?

By anonymous

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]02/16/2014

Social Security office has all the correct answers. You generally only can obtain "generic" answers over the phone as they have no way to identify your true identity. Try going to the SS office in person with all related SS numbers, ID, etc.

Question: Applying for Social Security Survivor's Benefits

My father died 12 years ago at the age of 63. I have a disabled sister who has Downs syndrome. My mother did not apply for the survivor's benefits for my disabled sister; can she now?

By Liz

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]02/11/2014

For the correct answer to this call your local Social Security Office.

Question: Social Security Survivor's Benefit Check

I am 17 yrs old and I am wanting to move out of my parents' house. I was wondering who my check will go to when I do move out?

By Kirstie

Best Answer

By redhatterb [1]02/10/2014

Do you plan on moving out before you are 18? This is something that you and your mother are going to have to make arrangements to go to your local Social Security Office and talk to them about. I might be wrong, but as long as you are a minor the checks go to your parents for your support or if they can afford to put them in savings for college. That being said, I have always heard the checks stop when a child turns 18 or graduates from high school.

I am a widow and my son and I were receiving SS checks. My son is turning 16 soon and I am losing my check, but he will still receive his check until he is out of school. What I need to know is will his check stay the same amount or go up because I am losing mine? Thanks.

By Marie

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]02/10/2014

I have never had to wait that long. Being you are being funny about it, what do you suggest they do? The Social Security Office is the only place they will get the correct answer. Besides the local number there is also the 800 number.

Question: Social Security Survior's Benefits

My mom pass away in December. She had been fighting for her Social Security for a few years. Will her family be able to receive her back pay?

By Tisha

Best Answer

By redhatterb [1]02/06/2014

Had your Mom been approved for Social Security at the time of her death? Either way I don't know why the family would receive the back pay. If the kids are adults they aren't entitled survivor's benefits because they are supposed to be able to take care of themselves. Call your local Social Security Office and talk to them, they know the answer to your question.

Question: Survivor Benefits for My Daughter

My daughter's biological father, my ex husband, was killed in Afghanistan, but before he died he gave up his rights and my husband adopted her. Is she entitled to benefits due to her biological father dying? I have the 1300 form (casualty report naming her as his daughter).

By Melissa W.

Most Recent Answer

By Wanda 01/29/2014

Hello, I'm sorry to say that once the biological father relinquished all rights to his daughter and agreed to adoption he from that point on is not, legally, her father. Her adopted father becomes her legal father.

Question: Receiving SSDI Benefits

I have two boys who receive disability funds through me. One is turning 18 and will no longer receive benefits. Does his brother's benefit change? Does it increase or stay the same?

By Scarm134

Most Recent Answer

By Cindy [6]01/29/2014

When your older child turns 18, the benefits he received will go to the other child. For example, if each was getting $100.00 now your younger son will get $200 now.

Question: Survivor Benefits and Adoption

My nieces are receiving survivor benefits from their mom who passed away this past June. They are living with their paternal grandmother, the father is her son. The girls want to be adopted by their grandmother, if this happens, will their survivor benefits be cut off?

By AJ

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]01/26/2014

you could take the grandmother to the social security office so she will know what can be done.
She will need a social security number for everyone (including the father if possible).

Question: Collecting Social Security Survivors Benefits

My father passed away and I received something in the mail that he is entitled to a little more Social Security, however they require my birth certificate which I can not find. It also states something about wanting the birth certificates of next of kin which would be my siblings, so could I just possibly use one or all of theirs and not mine?

By Jeff. O

Best Answer

By redhatterb [1]01/22/2014

Look up your state online and when you look at different parts of the site, it will tell you how to go about obtaining different certificates. There will probably even be a form that you can print out, fill out and send it to the proper address. Some states also have it set up that you can go to your county courthouse and apply for the certificates that you need. There will be a fee to obtain the copies and where I live that is $15.00 for each certificate.

My father died 3 years ago of cancer at a young age. Am I able to get his Social Security benefits? I am a single mom of two and I am having a hard time making ends meet. This would help me greatly.

By Julia

Best Answer

By redhatterb [1]01/21/2014

I'm not sure about this, but being you are an adult I honestly don't see how you would qualify for survivor's benefits from your late Dad's Social Security. It would be different if you had a spouse and he had died. Call your local Social Security Office and make an appointment to talk to them. You aren't the only one having a hard time making ends meet, there are a lot of people in that situation.

My son is in DFACS and I have not received his benefits in over a year. When he returns home will he receive all his money?

By mitephrab from Atlanta, GA

My granddaughter's mother passed away. She lives with her mother's parents. Her father is still alive, paternity was established and child support was ordered, but they never let the child interact with him. I see my granddaughter every weekend. I was wondering if I can find out if my granddaughter is receiving death benefits from social security?

By TAS

Best Answer

By redhatterb [1]01/14/2014

Why should this be any concern of yours? It was your grandaughter's mother that passed away and the child is living with her maternal grandparents. They are the ones supporting her. You get to see her every week end, why hasn't your son been able to see her? There must be a good reason for that. I would say if you were the one raising her then you should be getting survivor''s benefits. That being said people have to work a certain amount of time in order to receive Social Security and I would think that same rule would apply to survivor's benefits. Call your local Social Security Office and talk to them but more than likely they will tell you they are unable to give you any information.

Question: Eligibility for Social Security Survivor's Benefits

My daughter's father died at the age of 16 (I had her as a teenager). I have a job, but he never had a job. Can she receive survivor benefits?

By Chantel W.

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]01/15/2014

Hi - your best bet is to gather all your information (SS#'s for yourself and your daughter) and go to your local Social Security office and ask them your questions.

Your husband must have had a SS number if he & you filed income taxes? If so take his number also.

Can a child receive Social Security benefits if the parent that dies never worked?

By Lisa

My father passed when I was one month old and I never received Social Security. Is it too late to get Social Security if I'm over the age of 18? I am currently 28 years old.

By Gerrid

Most Recent Answer

By Linda W.01/08/2014

I would call social security office. Someone may have been given benefits to use to support you as you were growing up. Then you will know and the rest is up to you.

My mom has been taking my check since I was 13, buying unnecessary thing with it. I never see a dime. I turn 18 in three days. Do I have to go through my mom to get my check, or can I set up a bank account and finally receive my own money? The check is coming from my deceased father, and I'll still be in school.

By Lacey F

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]01/07/2014

You have received some very good answers. Your social security office can answer all of your questions as all cases are different so no one answer would be correct.

Most likely, as long as you live with an adult that takes care of your needs - they will receive the check and usually do not have to answer to anyone as how it is spent.

Question: Social Security Survivor Benefits for Children

My daughter just passed away with 2 of her 4 children eligible for her Social Security benefits. Who files for the benefits and are those checks made out to the child or what? The father of the youngest son is out of state and will soon take him home with him. We don't want the father to benefit from these checks, but would like them to go to a trust for the boy. Please help.

By Carol A

Most Recent Answer

By mary martin [2]12/31/2013

Your local Social Security office will answer all your questions. Each situation is different and only they will have the answers. Don't rely on outsiders to advise you as there are as many opinions as there are questions. Go to the professional source. They have trained individuals in these matters.

Question: Social Security Benefits for Children

I'm getting money for my two older children. I would just like to know the rules on how the money is allowed to be used or can we put it in a saving account?

By Al

Most Recent Answer

By mary martin [2]12/31/2013

The best place to get your answer is your local Social Security office. Nobody here can answer your question correctly. I don't know why people rely on sources outside the official office for answers. Contact Social Security for information relating to your specific situation

My children's father disappeared over ten years ago. We recently learned he died about 10 years ago. Are they entitled to collect their missed Social Security now?

By Mb from AZ

Most Recent Answer

By Eileen M. [54]12/31/2013

Check with your local social security office. Be sure you bring birth certificates, etc to show how the kids are related. Good luck!

Question: Qualifying for Social Security Survivors Benefits

I'm currently receiving Social Security benefits until I graduate or turn age 19. Would my son be able to receive them? He was born a month ago?

By mt

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]12/22/2013

You need to go in person to your local social security office and carry all necessary paper work.

My son's father was on SSI before he died, is my son entitled to benefits now that he's passed on?

By Sha

Most Recent Answer

By Weavre Cooper [10]12/22/2013

It depends on his age. Here's what Social Security has to say:

Your unmarried children who are under 18 (up to age 19 if attending elementary or secondary school full time) can be eligible to receive Social Security benefits when you die.

And your child can get benefits at any age if he or she was disabled before age 22 and remains disabled.

Besides your natural children, your stepchildren, grandchildren, step grandchildren or adopted children may receive benefits under certain circumstances.

http://www.ssa.gov/survivorplan/onyourown4.htm

My husband died two years ago at work. My little girl receives worker's comp and Social Security. Should I also get Social Security? We were married when he died. We were just living apart because we were relocating. I was still living in Georgia and he was living in Florida getting us a place ready.

By Bekki

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]12/19/2013

Hi - who applied for your daughter to receive benefits? This should have been answered at that time but you should check with your local Social Security office if your case has not already been decided.

Question: Application Process for Social Security Survivor's Benefits

My 8 year old son's father passed on 11/29. He did not have a relationship with our son, but paid child support on time and has been proven to be the biological father via DNA testing in 2006. My son's father was married (but his wife had just filed for divorce the week before) and has a 6 year old son with his wife. I filed for benefits for my son, but the gentleman I spoke with said that they couldn't file my son's application until his father's widow came in and filed and application for her and her son. Is this correct? I've spoken to her twice since filing and she doesn't have any desire to file. My hands feel completely tied.

By Nicole

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]12/19/2013

There are a lot of variables and only an attorney or your Social Security office can give you information for your situation.

Of course, filing for divorce means nothing in this situation but it is possible you may need an attorney to help you - try children's services as well as talking to another Social Security person.

Last year my father died and we applied for the Social Security check. My mother has been telling me that we haven't been getting it, but I recently found out that she had been keeping them and not giving it to me and my little brother. Is this legal? What do I do?

By Ryan

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]12/19/2013

Hi - I believe that redhatterb gave an excellent answer.

Social Security benefits are for the adult who is taking care of you and your little brother - providing shelter, food, clothing and anything else necessary for your survival. They are not obligated to give you any of this benefit money but they are obligated to use this money to take care of you.

When you are old enough move out and become self supporting then you may request your share be sent to you to assist with your support.

You can check with Social Security to find out exactly what your "rights" are.

My mother died when I was three months old and I was passed from house to house until I was 16. I wanted to know now at the age of 28 can I still apply for survivor benefits or is it too late.

By NS

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]12/18/2013

Talk to your local Social Security Office. That being said as far as I know they are for spouses and minor children. What is meant for the minor children is to support them, not for them to have as spending money.

Question: Survivor Benefits for Widow on Disability

My husband was getting social security and I am on disability. He past away last week. Will I get any of his social security check plus my disability, or just mine?

By Debbie

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]12/22/2013

It is always best to go in person to your local social security office for this type of information. There may be several scenarios to see what might give you the most money and they can give you this information.

If a father signs his rights away for his child and that child has been legally adopted, and years later her biological father (that signed his rights away) passes away, will that child be eligible to get his death benefits?

By Melissa M. from Blue Springs, MO

Most Recent Answer

By LaQuetta [1]12/17/2013

If the child has been legally adopted then she is the adoptive parents child in every sense of the word. She has no legal ties or rights to anything of her birth parents. That includes no legal right to benefits from either of her biological parents. The adoption cut all ties to her birth/biological parents.

Question: SSDI and Social Security Survivor's Benefits

My son has lost his dad's survivors benefit because I was recently was approved for SSDI. He will get 50%. I'm happy about that, but feel bad for him that he loses his dad's benefit which his dad payed into. We were not married and did not live together. Why is this and can I fight it? My SSDI is more than his survivor benefit.

By mistory5

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]12/15/2013

How old is your son? That could have something to do with it. Talk to your local Social Security Office and see what they say. They will know more about it, than we do. What were you living off before you got your disability? Most cases that I have heard of the amount of disability payments are less if there is other income in the house.

Question: Survivor Benefits

My dad passed away in September of this year. I am a disabled adult. I was approved for survivor benefits. Will I get back pay survivor benefits for September, October, and November? I haven't received any payment yet?

By Mandy J

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]12/05/2013

Who approved your application? Did your Dad take care of you before he died?
You will have to ask your questions with whomever approved you for benefits or Social Security office (in person).

Question: Social Security Disability Survivor's Benefits

My son is 15 and he lives at home with me, his father. His mother just passed away the 21st. What I want to know is two things. She had been trying to get disability and they were just about to go to court. I called her lawyer and he said that there are different types of disability cases and that even if she has passed they will still have court and that the kids would get her back pay. The other two are 19 and 21. My next question is can I apply for survivors' benefits being she hadn't worked the last few years? Thanks. Lost Dad

By Tony

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]11/29/2013

Hello and I am sure the Thrifty community wish you and your family many blessings in this sad time in your life.

It does seem that your wife's attorney would answer some of your questions but if not (or you just want more info) you should go in person to your local Social Security office. Be sure to have all of your information with you so maybe one trip will suffice.

I do not believe you will receive any benefit (other than "burial" benefit) but your one or more of your children may be eligible. Age is a big factor here so the SS office is the best place to get your "real" answers as all cases are different and depend on many factors.

I believe the death of your wife will probably cancel the disability case as those benefits would have been for her but I really have never dealt with a case like this.

Maybe when you have some answers you could post your case here again?

Question: Social Security Death Benefits for Children

My wife passed away a little over a month ago; she was disabled. I applied for death benefits for my children right away. How long from the application does it take to start receiving money for them?

By Matt

Most Recent Answer

By April [179]11/11/2013

Was it approved? My children received theirs the following month. When we applied, the lady at the office told us the date, and that was when it came.

My son's dad passed away Aug. 15, 2011. I didn't file for benefits when he passed away because he wasn't on the birth certificate. Now that my son sees his family more often they keep pushing me to file for benefits. They said they are willing to write a letter stating he is the father. My question is: is it too late to file for benefits?

A friend of the family says he'll get backpay from when his dad passed away, is that true?

By Perla

Question: Do SSI Benefits Continue After Adoption?

My friend has 3 children. After the 3rd child was born, the mother passed away. The children started receiving SSI benefits. He is about to get remarried and she wants to adopt the children. Will the children still receive SSI if she adopts them?

By purpleroseb28

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]11/06/2013

The only way anybody gets SSI benefits is if they are disabled. These kids might be getting survivor's benefits. Your friend should talk to the local Social Security Office.

Question: Social Security Survivor's Benefits for Children

When one child turns 18 and loses his SSDB, does the other child get his portion? My son turned 18, my daughter is 5; will she get his portion of their father's death benefit?

By Brenda

Most Recent Answer

By Cindy [6]10/31/2013

Yes, that is true. The benefit amount is the same no matter how many children. When one child turns 18, the other will receive his money.

Question: Social Security Survivor Benefits for College Students

My daughter is 19 now, her dad passed away when she was 17 and she got benefits for a year and a half. She was told when she turned 19 or graduated from high school she would not be eligible anymore. Are there any benefits she can apply for since she is going to college now?

By Angie

Most Recent Answer

By ultrasuede703/26/2014

Benefits used to be extended for children who went to college (this was done in the Kennedy/Johnson administration). However, that was nixed under the Reagan Administration and all benefits end at 18, whether you go to college or not. Guess they expect 18 year olds to be fully self-supporting by then or have a rich family.

Question: Child Denied Social Security Survivor's Benefits

My husband died 4 years ago. We had two biological children that receive benefits. My youngest daughter was not his biological child, but he signed her birth certificate and was the only father she knew. She was denied benefits, why?

By anonymous

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]10/20/2013

Talk to your local Social Security Office.

I know you get it until you're twenty if you stay in school. If I move out will I still draw it?

By WA

Most Recent Answer

By Michele [17]10/07/2013

My daughter is receiving survivor benefits. We live in PA, I was told by the social security office that benefits will end when she graduates high school or turns 19, which ever comes first. Child support has the same rule.

My father died when I was 6 years old and my mother died when I was 12. I then moved with my aunt and she became my legal guardian. I was told she would receive money for us until we turned 18. I am now 18 years old and I'm in college and I'm wondering when will I begin receiving the money.

By Jake

Most Recent Answer

By Eileen M. [54]09/27/2013

I would check with Social Security office, but I'm afraid that once you are an "adult" you stop getting any benefits unless you are somehow disabled... Good luck!

My dad passed away when I was 11. I'm now 21. I received SS checks, but my mom always put them in her bank account. I think she only should have gotten a portion of it, not all. I would never try to take my mother to court, but I've always wondered if this was ever fair?

By Karisa

Most Recent Answer

By Lucinda Heaney K.09/24/2013

The money was for your Mom to raise you.

Question: Survivor Benefits Questions

When my husband passed my son and daughter and I were receiving survivor benefits; a set amount for the three of us. Then my son turned 16 and they stopped my widow's benefits and split the same amount between my two kids. Now my daughter has graduated and my son is left with only half the entitlement. Is that right or do I need to talk to the SS administration?

By latimore-carson from SC

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]09/23/2013

Talking to you Social Security Office would be the best thing to do.

I'm 18 years old and plan on moving out of my mother's house. I recently got my Social Security check back from my father's death. My mother tells me that since I am still a student in school I still receive it, but on the other hand she tells me if I move out I won't receive it anymore. When I move out I'm still going to be a student. Shouldn't I still be able to receive my SS check if I'm living on my own and still in school because I'm 18 and the check is in my name. If I move out and she receives the check without me being there would that be considered fraud? How would I go about receiving the check on my own? Please help. I need answers.

By Christina V. from Avon, IN

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]09/21/2013

Discuss this with your local social security office.

Question: Social Security Survivor Benefits and Work

I have been receiving a SSI check due to my father since I was 6. Now I'm 16 and ready to get a job. If I apply for a job will I lose my SSI check?

By M.I.C from Adairsville, GA

Most Recent Answer

By elva09/24/2013

Once you turn 18 the check will be cut off or if you are disabled, the check will continue.

My son's father passed away at the age of 21. He really was so young and didn't work enough or pay into SSI enough. Is my son entitled to anything since his father was so young when he passed away?

By Amber

Most Recent Answer

By Tanya [4]08/30/2013

My daughter's father also passed away at the age of 21. I checked to see if she could get ssi or survivor's benefits. I could not because he didn't have enough work credits yet. However, this was back in 1981 when I applied. Rules may have changed since then. I would suggest that you go ahead and apply. The worse thing that can happen is that they say no.

Question: Survivors Benefits for Children in College

My ex husband died leaving 2 children in college, age 19 and 20. Are they eligible for any benefits?

By Suzette M from Lynn, MA

Most Recent Answer

By Marie Brack08/10/2013

Yes. Call the local Social Security office or go there and sign them up. Call first to see what documentation they will need you to bring.

Question: Applying for Survivor's Benefits

When I was 2 years old my father passed away from cancer and my mother didn't take care of me. In fact she was and still is a drug addict. Is it possible to apply for benefits after 14 years because I had no way of applying myself at the age of 2.

By Cheyenne P. from Flint, Mi

Most Recent Answer

By brigittes [10]08/13/2013

I don't have any advice, I just want to add my sympathy that you have had it so hard. I hope you hang in there and use all your god given talents to be a good person and realise your potential.

Question: Social Security Benefits for Adopted Grandchild

My daughter has been receiving Social Security benefits from her father's death. She has since had a child of her own, which I now have guardianship of. If I end up adopting my grandchild, will she be able to receive her grandfather's Social Security as well?

By Teresa F.

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]07/17/2013

Hi - You did not give the age of your daughter so there will be questions asked - are you still receiving benefits for your daughter? Does she still live with you? Does she receive the checks?

I believe that I read somewhere that something like that could be considered fraud.. Not sure but you should be able to get the answer to your questions at the SS office. Best to start there.

Question: Can I Claim my Ex-husband's Social Security?

My ex and I were married for over 34 years. Can I get his Social Security although we were not married when he passed away?

By M. T

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]07/11/2013

Hi - you can draw from your ex-husband's social security if you are eligible for SS and was married over 5 years - and if you have not remarried and your own amount is less than what you would receive from his.

I believe the amount from his will be 1/2 of his total but Social Security benefits are changing all the time so you will need to go to your local office for the "truth".

I would carry divorce papers and you will need the date of marriage also - carry your wedding certificate if you have it. They should have the date you changed your last name on record with other information.

Question: Proving Eligibility of Child for Parent's Social Security

My daughter's father passed when she was 13 months old. His name was not on the birth certificate. She is in his obituary as his daughter, but when I went to try and get benefits that wasn't enough proof. I have tried several times since his death and still was denied. Now she is 16 and I want to try and get DNA from his mom or brothers, but is it too late since she is 16? What else can I do to get the benefits that are owed to her?

By Ivella B

Most Recent Answer

By jacey.holt02/15/2014

I'm pretty sure I want to get any benefits. But right now I am doing the DNA test just so we know. His sister is doing the test with us. $599 dollars right now with the diagnostics clinic.

Question: Determining Eligibility for Social Security Survivor's Benefits

My sister and I were 12 and 17, when our father passed away. That was 16 years ago. He was 41 years old at the time. I'm not sure when he became a US citizen, but it must of been at least 5 years prior to his death. My question is how can I find out if we are now at this day and age eligible to receive his survival benefits if any and if these even apply?

By Liz N.

Most Recent Answer

By Tfain112/21/2013

I have three daughters one is 18 and is graduating high school, I'm wanting to know if her benefit payments will be split amongst the other two who are 15 and 16.

Question: Applying for Social Security Benefits for Child of Deceased Father

My son was born in January of last year. His father and I were not married and his dad lived in a different state. My son was born on a weekend and although his dad was there, nobody was there put him on the birth certificate. He never made it back down before he died in April. So my question is will the state of Tennessee help me get him on the birth certificate so that I can apply for the benefits?

By Becca J

Most Recent Answer

By Carol Swanson [17]04/01/2013

Phone the National Toll Free Number for Social Security Administration to determine your rights.

Question: Collecting Social Security for Child of Deceased Parent

How do I go about drawing Social Security for my child when his father died two months before he was born in 2007 and now here it is 2013?

By Ashley L.

Most Recent Answer

By Janette [83]07/01/2013

You should have contacted SS the day he died. As soon as the child was born he would draw a SS check until the age of 18.

Question: Child Receiving Social Security Benefits After Father's Death

My son's father recently passed. We were not together and even though he didn't sign the birth certificate and wouldn't give his DNA for child support he was put down as the father and was ordered to pay child support, since he wouldn't fight it. My son is 4 years old. Will he receive a check off his father?

By Gina G

Most Recent Answer

By Janette [83]07/01/2013

The deceasedents mother might have to provide her DNA. Parenthood can be established under the law. If mother isn't possible then his father.

Question: Qualifying for Social Security Survivor's Benefits

My son's father passed away before my son was born. Can my son still receive survivor benefits even if his father did not sign his birth certificate?

By Monica

Most Recent Answer

By Betty Gibson [6]07/18/2011

The readers are right, check with you Social Security Ofc. The phone # is on the phone book in the blue pages, or you can get the 800 # online. Most questions can be answered over the phone; in some cases, you can apply over the phone.

Question: Survivor's Portion of SS Benefits

I usually offer a tip, but now I have a question. My husband and I receive Social Security benefits. Does the surviving spouse receive a portion of decedent's SS benefit? If divorced? If so, what percentage? If someone can offer a link or other resource for the answer I would appreciate it. Thank you!

By Anonymous

Most Recent Answer

By eileen [3]06/08/2011

I had some months ago contacted SS office online by email. No response. Thanks to all of you!

Question: Child's Eligibility for Social Security Survivor's Benefits

My husband is wanting to adopt my daughter and she receives Social Security from her father who passed away while I was pregnant. Will she still get her Social Security checks if she takes my husband's last name and does not have her father's last name?

By Courtney P. from Knoxville, TN

Most Recent Answer

By Janice Kasony [1]06/06/2011

My husband died of cancer in 1986 when my son was 18 months of age. My son received Social Security survivor's benefits until age 18, even though he was adopted by my husband after I remarried. We even got a replacement birth certificate with his "new" last name. Don't know if the rules have changed since then, so it's best to check with your local Social Security office.

Solutions: Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!