Browsing: Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits

If a spouse or parent dies, you may be eligible for Social Security survivor benefits. This is a guide about receiving Social Security survivor benefits.

Social Security Survivor Benefits
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 6, 2016 Flag

My ex just passed away this week. He was disabled and was paying child support thru his Social Security payments for my 11 year old son. I am disabled as well, so my son gets a Social Security check based on my work record. Can someone explain the process now that the other parent is deceased? Will my son be able to get a check from his dad's Social Security now that he's deceased? Or will his support check from his dad's disability just stop. I am so confused right now. I plan to go to Social Security as soon as possible. I just wondered if anyone had similar experiences.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dad was killed when I was 11, and SS paid benefits until I was 25..I was in college and they paid until my 25th birthday.. hope this helps..

DCA is correct that only the SSA can give you correct answers as it would be rare that any 2 cases would have the same results.

I do not believe that your child can receive two checks so they will probably give you whichever SS account will give you the highest benefit.

Be sure to take all legal papers with you and go as soon as possible as all of these changes take time to process.

February 15, 2014 Flag

My brother recently died and he has two children. Their mother receives their money now; she is not giving it to them. Can they switch it over to mother or I?

By KC

Best Answer

My children get ss since their father passed away. The money is for their food, their share of rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, dental, eye glasses, class ring, yearbook, clothing, shoes, their share of a overnight trip if we take one, field trips.

If you look at the check, you will notice it is made to the adult whom they live with. Mine is made out to me, "on behalf of" their name. The money is not to be given to the children to blow. On the other hand, my kids are in high school now, so I am saving part for college, and I do give them each an allowance out of it.

What if my mother doesn't bother giving me any money from the check and waste it on cigarettes and alcohol drinks

August 30, 2016 Flag

My daughter and another child shared a father that passed away. They both drew SSI from their deceased father. The other child has reached the age of 18 and no longer receives SSI. Does the money they split now all go to my daughter? Is there a limit on the amount my daughter receives?

Only the Social Security Administration can your question. You can contact the SSA by phone and also schedule an appointment with an office near you.

My 60 yr old sister was receiving SSI, she passed. She adopted 3 children, can I apply for survivors benefits

March 31, 2016 Flag

I was receiving Social Security benefits as a survivor after my father passed away. I recently turned 18 in March. I did not receive anything from work. Should I have received something for the month of March and do I get a lump sum?

Carolina - you would receive more answers if you start your own question instead of asking on someone's question.

I believe the only answer to your question is to ask at your local SS office.

It may be that you have to remain in school to receive benefits but you may be able to work part time.

Are you saying the benefits go to you or to your guardian/parent? Generally benefits are paid to the person responsible for your care (housing, food, clothing, etc.) and are paid as long as the child is in school (not college) but I do not believe they will pay past 19 years of age even if the individual is still in school.

You can also receive survivors benefits past the age of 19 if you were already receiving adult disabled child benefits. I was getting $1049. After my Father passed away I started getting. $1574.

June 9, 2016 Flag

My daughter just found out that her child's father passed away. He had never seen his daughter, but he did pay support for her through the court. How does my daughter go about getting her child survivor benefits? She has no information on him such as Social Security or death certificate, she also does not know any of his family. How can she get information to apply? SSA states they cant help her unless she can provide this information.

Go to the Ss office they will have that information.

How is it that child support was being taken out but she has absolutely nothing on him? If SSA cannot assist her, she knows nothing about his family....hmmm this could be tough. Here's a few options: 1. Start with the child support office. If they were taking out cs on him then she should have the cs decree. As well they should have her contact information. Tell her not to call, go down there with her daughter's bc, paperwork from cs, her (mom) ID and be prepared to sit a while. 2. His obituary will have the name of the funeral home on there. Perhaps she can look it up to get their name, contact them and attempt to get a copy of his death certificate. 3. The only other thing I can think of is to hire an attorney. They always seem to have a way to obtain information other's cannot. She's going to have to pay I'm sure but she doesn't need to give up. Hopefully by now she has found a way to get her daughter's benefits started but if not one of these may help.

June 18, 2016 Flag

My dad died when I was 11, and my mom was receiving money as a payee. Now I am 18 and I went to the Social Security office myself and I was told by the office that it was my money and she was just the payee name. When I was 14 I asked for the money because I had a feeling it was my money and she said no. She worked no job and used the money to buy herself what she couldn't get with food stamps, and she occasionally bought me stuff. She made it seem like it was her money. Would she technically be considered stealing if I asked for the money since it was my money and she was just a payee, and can I do anything about it? I have to go back to school next September, would I be able to recieve the money during summer till school starts back up even though I'm 18 now?

You are unbelievable! What do you mean "My daughter tried to pull that on me". That money belongs to the child. It is YOUR responsibility to provide for YOUR child! If the child wasn't receiving SS benefits would you make them get a job and pay part of the rent? It's not enough you get a tax break because of them, but now you think your intitled to take their money and use it as your own? Perhaps you should get a job/better job and cover YOUR own childs needs. It's not the governments responsibility to cover YOUR childs basic needs! UNBELIEVABLE...

If the parent had still been living and was in the home they would be providing all necessities and paying for it. If they were alive and NOT in the home they would be paying child support. Since they are deceased, that support money comes in the form of Social Security. Just like Child Support it is meant to support the child. This means whoever the guardian of the child is will be the payee and use this money to pay the child's bills. If you were single and had no kids then things such as rent would be cheaper for a smaller sized home, food, water, gas and electric would be scaled down for just one person. But the extras, plus school items, clothes, toiletries, school trips, extra curricular activities etc... PLUS the fact most of these parents have lost 50%-100% of the household income depending if the deceased was the main breadwinner or not. I think you all are forgetting that. When my sons father died it was a car accident. I wasn't planning for it- it was unexpected. We had our way of life set like many do and we were comfortable and we were young. Then he died. I worked but I lost 60% of what I was paying out each month without him helping. The bills were still there and we didn't have the money to get out of them and start over completely. That money allowed me to continue the way of life we were living when he was alive without anymore disruption than the death itself brought with it. He worked for that money. That's why the system was put into place. If you have a financial situation that allows you to hand your kid hundreds to thousands of dollars each month then that's your business, but don't bash those of us that were not "rich" and then took the financial brunt of a death and still had to protect and provide for our kids.

August 26, 2016 Flag

I am receiving benefits due to my father's passing. On my statement it says "child 1" and it never said that before, just "child". Could that mean he has another child I never knew about, now collecting?

Only the SSA can answer your question. Call or visit the local SSA office.

Load More
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceDecember 5, 2012
Couple getting SSI help.
Finding a Good Social Security Attorney
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Social Security Paperwork
Preparing for a Social Security Hearing
Social Security Disability Form
Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 21, 2016 at 12:18:45 PM on 10.0.2.214 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.