Recipes And Tips For Using A Convection Oven

I have just purchased a beautiful gas range with a convection oven. This is a totally different cooking experience. I need tips and recipes. I know to lower the temperature by 25 degrees and time by 25%. However, little things like when I cooked my roast, it was not juicy at all and I had no drippings for gravy, and my carrots looked like dehydrated orange peas, and forget about the onions. Should I cover the meat? What about casseroles and cakes? Any good recipes out there?

Thanks a million,

Sandy from Metairie, LA

Answers:

Have either of you tried web sites for the appliance you bought?
Have you googled convection oven? I don't have one-- but have thought about buying one, so I was interested in your questions. Good luck. (08/03/2007)

By 2oma

I have had a Kitchen Aid convection oven for the last 7 years. When it wears out I will buy another. The owner's manual and recipe collection were most helpful. I have baked in everything from 70 year old cast iron pans (makes the best Pineapple Upside Down Cake) to silicone cookwear.

Sometimes you need to reduce the heat by 50 degrees, especially it you are cooking for a prolonged time. Cakes rise higher and are lighter in texture. Pies have an amazing golden crust. Turkeys don't dry out. When baking cookies, do not use too large of a sheet, give ample room around sheet to bake evenly, the edges will burn and middle cookies will not be done if pan is too large.

Try to avoid opening door, that is what the window and light are for. Frozen french fries and onion rings don't have to be flipped over. Casseroles with a crunchy topping really crunch. Bake breaded chicken and pork chops at 375 degrees for about 20 to 30 minutes in oiled pan, no need to turn.

Remember, if the food needs a lid, you 'Do not convect", use conventional setting. Experiment, try lowering temp and reducing baking time. All ovens are different and you will eventually feel comfortable using convection heat to where you prefer it for the added taste and time saving convenience. (08/06/2007)

By fuzzle

Convection Oven in New Kitchen
Convection Oven Tips and Recipes
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
Galloping Gourmet Convection Oven Tips and Tricks
Turbo Oven
Using a Turbo Oven
🎄