Recipes Using Beer

Category Recipes
beer bread
Beer can be used as an ingredient in many types of recipes from breads to stews. This is a guide about recipes using beer.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

This is one of the easiest and most simple cakes to put together, and it's rich in texture and flavor. You would never even guess it was made using beer. Tastes more like a spicy yeast bread and is delicious.

This recipe makes 2 loaves, so you have one to share or freeze for another day.

Directions:

Pour beer into a small bowl and let stand uncovered overnight at room temperature.

Next day: Cream shortening, and gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs one at the time, beating well after each addition.

Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Whisk to mix, then add to creamed mixture alternately with beer, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.

Dredge pecans and raisins in remaining 1/2 cup flour, stir to coat well, then fold into batter.

Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9x5x3 inch loaf pans. Bake at 325 degrees F for 30 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 350 and bake an additional 25 minutes or until cakes tests done.

Remove from oven when done, and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out loaves onto wire rack to cool completely before slicing or wrapping to freeze.

Servings: 8 Slices per loaf
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time
60 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My German friend and neighbor, Gretchen. My three daughters grew up eating cookies that she baked just for them every week. I've forgotten the name of the cookie she made, but my girls loved them. Lots of spices just like this cake.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Beer adds a really good taste. The chops are tender, and the sauce really delicious.

• 4 pork chops
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup beer
  • 1/2 cup hot beef broth
  • 2 tsp. cornstarch

Directions:

Season chops with salt and pepper. Coat lightly with flour. Heat oil in a heavy frying pan. Add chops; fry for 3 minutes on each side. Add onions and cook for another 5 minutes, turning chops once. Pour in the beer and broth, cover, and simmer until done. Remove the chops and keep warm.

Blend the cornstarch with a small amount of cold water. Stir into the sauce and cook until thick and bubbly. Pour over the chops.

Serve with Brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, and horseradish on the side.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: about 30 Minutes

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

This is a great easy recipe for cocktail meatballs with a sensational taste! I've offered this dish at parties for several years and everyone raves about them. I will give you the proportions for using a 1 lb. package of ground beef, but it can be increased accordingly to accommodate any size party.

Sauce: Meatballs:

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix the ground beef with the egg, breadcrumbs, cheese, salt, pepper, and bit of water. Shape into 1 1/2 size cocktail meatballs (should get about 31).

Place meatballs on a foil-lined baking sheet with sides (foil for easy clean up!). It's okay to put as many on there as possible. Bake in center of oven for about 20-25 minutes or until browned. Remove with slotted spoon and place into sauce mixture.

Start sauce with ketchup and beer either in a small crock pot on LOW or in a 3 qt. size pan on the stove on LOW. Let meatballs simmer covered for close to an hour (so flavors have a chance to "marry" and infuse into meatballs). Stir the meatballs occasionally so they don't burn.

These can remain in crock pot for parties (on LOW) or transferred to a serving bowl on a hot plate. Serve with toothpicks and plates nearby. Enjoy!

Note: As there seems to be an abundance of sauce, I have made 3 lbs of meatballs (giving me 100+) and used only 2 bottles of ketchup (a 24 oz size and 2 bottles of beer) and it came out scrumptious! Also, this is one recipe that tastes even better the next day if you're lucky enough to have any leftover. So don't be afraid to make these a day ahead if you need to and then just reheat gently (covered) just before serving.

Your guests will love these!

Source: I've done this recipe for over 30 years.

By Diane from Rochester, NY

• 2 lb. (6 medium) russet potatoes, peeled and chopped (6 cups)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 1 medium stalk celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 medium carrot, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
  • 1 (12 oz.) can beer
  • 8 oz. (2 cups) shredded Cheddar and American cheese blend
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • rye bread, cut into cubes and toasted, if desired

Directions:

In a 3 to 4-quart slow cooker, combine potatoes, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and pepper; stir gently to mix. Pour broth and beer over vegetables. Cover; cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours. About 10 minutes before serving, coarsely mash vegetables with potato masher or fork. Add cheese and whipping cream; stir until cheese is melted. Cover; cook an additional 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with croutons.

Source: BettyCrocker

By LRP from LWL, MA

Place the clams in the bottom of a clam steamer of a deep boiling pot (I use a wire basket sitting on a steel rack to fit bottom of pan). Add the beer to completely cover the clams, then add the bay leaves and the lemon juice.

This is a delicious moist chicken.

Recipes for Beer Battered Fish

Combine all ingredients except flour mixture in Crock Pot Cover and cook for 7 to 9 hours on low. Add flour and water paste to the sauce during the last 30 to 45 minutes...

I buy any sort of ham that my butcher will slice and tie for us, returning it in the original packing. If necessary, I beg. This is a must to make the whole process as simple as possible. On the big day, heat your oven as directed.

Place your sliced tied ham in an oven proof pan and pour beer over the entire ham. Any brand: flat, new, warm or cold makes no difference. Buy a cheap roaster from Dollar Tree. Set your timer and relax. Cut string and serve. No mess.

By NJ B. from Florida

This page contains recipes for beer bread. Beer is a natural pairing for homemade wheat bread. These loaves can be served with dinner, as an appetizer or snack, or for sandwiches.

A loaf of freshly baked homemade bread.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I knocked a bottle of beer out of the refridgerator this morning. It partially opened. Anybody know a non meat recipe using beer?

Barbara from Manassas, VA

Best Answer

Here is a recipe that was posted on ThriftyFun for two ingredient beer bread.

http://www.thri  7791969.tip.html

Best Answer

I always keep a bottle of beer for cooking, often instead of wine depending on the meal. It adds a great taste for steaming sausages before grilling, in cheese dishes and whatever catches my attention. Going flat doesn't make a difference for cooking.

Cheers.

Best Answer

It's been a long time, but I remember making beer batter for onion rings and fish. Use equal amounts of beer to flour (12 oz beer to 1 1/2 c flour). Be sure to flour the food to fry before dipping in the beer batter. Deep fry at 375 degrees F and drain well on paper towels. Salt while still steaming hot. Now I'm hungry for fish and onion rings!!

Best Answer

Beer Bread is a great way to use up a bottle of beer. This recipe calls for a can rather than bottle and I think there might be a difference in amount, but not sure as I am not a drinker. Here is the recipe..hope you enjoy.

2 -3/4 cups flour

2 TBSP sugar

2 TBSP baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. oregano

1/4 tsp. thyme

pinch of garlic powder

pinch of dill weed

pinch of chili powder

(or any combination of spices that you like)

Mix dry ingredients and add 1 can of room temperature beer. Mix till just blended.

Place on greased cookie sheet ( kind of scoop it into a loaf looking blob) and bake at 375 degrees F until golden brown. Enjoy!

I brush mine with melted butter when it comes out of the oven. Hope this helps

Best Answer

I use it as part of the liquid in chili, soup, or stew.

Best Answer

The best hush puppies are made with beer!

Beer is not just for drinking! What cooking recipes do you use beer in? Post your ideas below.

Best Answer

2 Good Hints for Using Beer

1) When boiling shrimp, try using beer for the cooking liquid. Season as you wish, but don't overcook. The flavor is marvelous - a little reminiscent of lobster.

2) Use beer in place of water or stock to make an excellent beef stew. This is what the Belgians do-it's called a carbonade.

Happy eating.

By joesgirl

Best Answer

Use beer for the liquid in breadmaking. Gives the yeast a boost and makes nice moist bread. You can even use flat beer for this. I can't imagine it, but if you have part of a can left in the refrig. it would work just as well as opening a new can. --Jayne

Best Answer

Take a roasting or frying chicken and shove a can of open beer where the "sun don't shine" spread margarine or butter on the outside with salt and pepper and pur it on your grill over medium heat. It makes a juicy and tasty chicken. Just make sure to remove the can before serving. (Just kidding ;)

Best Answer

I have been trying different beer bread recipes for a while and I think I have finally come up with a good one.

Beer Bread

1 bottle of beer (preferable stout, lighter beers seem to leave a baking soda taste) at room temp

3 cups of self-rising flour

3 TBLS of sugar

3 TBLS of honey

1/4 cup of melted butter

Mix ingredients together and grease a bread pan--bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the middle bounces back.....

This bread is stout and thick, it is not light and fluffy...it is good with stew...it is a hearty bread!!!

Best Answer

Saute some sliced onions in beer & then add kielbasa and simmer for a while. Then add some cabbage wedges & cook until cabbage is done as you like it, crisp or tender. Yum.

How do you make beer batter for chicken?

Janice from Erie, PA

I found this recipe and hope that it works for you. Remember that the recipe listed is for 4. You may need to double or triple depending on your family size.

http://www.cdki  icken16191.shtml

We use pancake batter and replace beer for the liquid. Excellent for fish and shrimp too.

Thank you for the recipes sure have been trying to find them for quite some time now. Never would have thought of pancake batter good idea and i will be trying it too. Thanks for the link to the cdkitchen have found a lot of good recipes here.

The easiest recipe I have seen for beer batter is equal parts flour and beer. You could add salt to taste. I have even used this to batter slices of zucchini to fry. It's great!

I made beer can chicken on propane barby yesterday. It was very moist and tender however the taste was the same as regular chicken without the beer. Any tips for the next time?

Sharon L Martin from Canada

You can put your favorite seasonings inside the beer...I am big on italian seasoning and some garlic; or you can throw in a spicy red pepper base. Rub some on the outside of the bird, also, so the flavor is all over.

Did you season it? Put a onion or apple in the neck? These make the favor! I like to spray it and roll in Pappy's seasoning, Butter garlic/pepper, teriaki & pineapple is great too. There are many more to try.

Jennifer CA

I don't think the beer actually does any flavoring so you'll have to toss on whatever you want for seasoning. As far as I recall, the beer acts more as a tenderizer and makes the chicken really moist. You'll want a rub mixed with a little olive oil and slathered all over the chicken. You can either use a premade rub mix such as McCormick Grillmates, or Mrs. Dash blends or better yet, frugally mix up your own version. Here's one I really like for roasting that will work:

Sticky Chicken Seasoning

4 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon white pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix together with a little olive oil to make a thick paste and rub away!

Enjoy,

Mary

I fill the neck with garlic and then season the outside with salt pepper and any other spices I like. I do taste the beer I baste the chicken while it cooks with the juice that drips into the pan, I also leave more beer in the can than most instructions say.

Hope this helps

My sister in law said this was the best chicken she ever tasted..all I did was to season my beer can chicken with:

equal amounts (I used 1 Tbs each) of:

salt

black pepper

paprika

brown sugar

First rub the chicken in olive oil and then pack the rub on. Can't get easier than that!!