Recipes Using Potatoes

Category Potatoes
Potatoes in a Bowl
Potatoes can be used in so many recipes. This page contains recipes using potatoes.

Very quick and simple, and just uses one pan. We love them!

• potatoes (peeled or not), sliced, diced, quartered or cut into wedges
  • dry ranch dressing (I purchase the cheapest)
  • oil (enough to make dry dressing coat potatoes)

Directions:

Place oil, dry dressing, and potatoes in container (I use Ziploc bag) and shake. Place on pan and bake in oven at 425 degrees F. The time depends on thickness of potatoes. For wedges I usually cook them about 35 minutes. I also wrap them in Reynold's Wrap aluminum foil.

I have also prepared these with squash, onions, peppers, etc., and have added cheese.

Servings: 2
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 35 Minutes

By Nana

Although this recipe is labeled a "cake", it is best described as more like cinnamon bread or rolls maybe. It is one of the best breakfast breads we've ever had, but it also goes well with afternoon tea or before bedtime snack. I always doubled the recipe and baked it in a pan (greased) that measured about 12x18 inches.

Directions:

Using a large bowl, add shortening and sugar to hot mashed potatoes. Add beaten eggs and quickly stir them in very well.

Dissolve yeast in lukewarm potato water and add sifted flour and salt.

Combine potato and yeast mixture (like a bread dough) and let rise in a covered bowl until doubled in bulk, 20-30 minutes at 80 degrees F.

Pat out in greased pans (one 11x7x2 inch plus one 8 inch square, or 3 square pans) to 1/2 inch thick.

Let rise 1 hr. Make indentations in dough and fill holes with plenty of butter. Sprinkle very generously with brown sugar and cinnamon.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.

This "cake" freezes very well if you wrap it tightly and keep it in an opaque outer wrapper. You probably will not have any leftovers to freeze though as this is a wonderfully moist and delicious food.

Servings: 12-16
Time:30 Minutes Preparation Time
20-25 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Marcia Adams made this on TV about 20 years ago. She has a cookbook out "Cooking From Quilt Country" On Amish and Mennonite cooking and baking which is such a good cookbook.

By Pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

Autumn warming potatoes. Pep up a plain spud with a little fire!

I just add a spoonful of medium hot Tikka paste (I use Sharwoods, but any will do.) to the wok where I have heated up a drained tin of potatoes. I cut mine into smaller pieces. (Own brand -14p in Asda supermarket). I also added some dried dill.

Of course, you can use any type of curry paste at whichever heat you like and change the herbs you use as well. They were utterly delicious and very moreish!

Source: My own recipe

• 6 med. potatoes
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 2 Tbsp. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • dash of Tabasco sauce
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped

Directions:

Peel potatoes and slice thin. Combine with all ingredients. Place in 2 qt. covered casserole. Microwave on high. Stir every 3 or 4 minutes until potatoes are almost cooked. Remove and let sit 5 minutes before serving. Or place in buttered 8x12 inch glass baking dish and cook, uncovered, in 350 degrees F oven for about 1 hour, stirring once or twice during cooking time. Or heat in microwave and finish cooking in oven. Or wrap and seal in aluminum foil (double layer) and cook over grill or camp fire. This takes about 30 minutes. Test for doneness by squeezing package.

By Robin from Washington, IA

• 3 ordinary potatoes (mashed)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp. butter
  • 1 cup sweet milk
  • 5 cups flour
  • 5 tsp. baking powder
  • 1-4 tsp. spice

Directions:

Mix the above in order. Roll, cut and fry in deep fat.

By Robin

Potatoes are an inexpensive ingredient for lots of dishes. What are your favorite recipes using potatoes? Post your ideas below.

Best Answer

Boil redskin or Yukon gold potatoes until fork tender. Drain. Grease a cookie sheet or sheet pan with olive oil or vegetable oil. Place the potatoes on the pan. Smash them down with a potato masher. Drizzle with more oil, salt, pepper, garlic, herbs, etc. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until crispy on the bottom and browned on the top. If you like, you can add shredded or sliced cheese in the last five minutes of baking. You can top with bacon bits or pieces, sour cream, chives, ranch dressing, steamed broccoli, etc.

Best Answer

I slice potatoes thin add 1 thinly sliced onion and add 1 can cream of mushroom soup. Bake 350 degrees for 45minutes-1 hour.

Best Answer

This is one of my favorite delicious things to eat. Make mashed potatoes, with enough for almost 2 cups of leftovers. The next day chop an onion and cook it in a little olive oil. Add the onion and an egg (makes enough for 3 people) to the potatoes.

Mix well and then plop into the pan you fried the onions in, in a little oil. Fry until both sides are browned, and then serve with applesauce and sour cream. I love this so much, I usually serve it just with a salad with cheese, egg, or meat (for protein.)

If you can wait a few minutes after mixing but before frying they will stay together better, but I usually don't wait, and they fall apart a bit but still taste terrific.

For the mashed, I just boil 8-10 potatoes (start with boiling water, add potatoes) until soft (takes about 30 minutes), drain, put back on flame in pot and shake to dry them a bit, then add 1/4 cup milk and 4 T of margarine. You really don't need more butter, especially if you're having them with gravy.

Best Answer

I made this soup for myself one day, and my grandson's not only loved it, they ate it all up.

One large potato,or two smaller, peeled and chopped to about 1/2 inch pieces, a bit of chopped onion, 2 carrots or 1 large, diced, and chopped broccoli (a smallish clump), or some cauliflower,chopped. Cook in water to cover (just) with one chicken bouillon cube (I really recommend the Knorr sold at Walmarts for ~75 cents). If you use the Knorr, you might only need 1/2 a square. The water will cook down some and let your veggies sit in water(turn off) while you prepare the rest of the soup. Use 1 cup of milk, fresh or some canned.

Mix with 2 Tablespoons cornstarch (also about 75 cents at Walmart) stirred into the cold milk until smooth. Turn the veggies and water back on, bring to a boil, and pour in milk and cornstarch mixture. Add more milk if needed to make it a nice cream soup consistency. Shredded cheese is a nice additive if you have it and one drop of Tabasco or hot sauce. Just the tiniest smidge. You can season it with pepper, thyme, a bay leaf, sprinkle of Parmesan, whatever.

Of course you could use potatoes, carrots and peas, or potatoes and carrots alone; onion in both cases is used more like a spice. Or just potatoes and a finely minced scallion would work. Just rummage in your veggies.

Use the milk and cornstarch alone to make a binder for any cream casserole: tuna noodle, or chicken pot pie.

Best Answer

Egyptian Ats Soup (Red Lentil)

Throw in a pot a couple peeled and cubed potatoes, 1/2 of medium onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 sliced carrot, 3/4 cup of red lentils, chicken bullion cube and add 6 cups of water or less depends on how many potatoes you used essentially keep veggies covered. Boil until everything is tender and lentils cooked, add water if it gets too low. Let cool then puree in a blender. Put back in pot and warm up season with touch of turmeric (makes color wonderful), pinch of cumin, salt and pepper, 1/4 cup milk and a teaspoon of butter (optional). Serve with slices of rustic bread of plain old Italian bread...delicious! Here in Egypt I buy Semit a sourdough sort of pretzel with sesame seeds instead of salt on it that are sold beside the Nile to dip into the thick soup...YUMMY! Exotic and healthy!

I am looking for your ideas to use potatoes. Besides mashed, french fries, and oven-baked. What are your favorite ideas in using potatoes? Thanks in advance.

Karyn from Ottawa, Canada

Best Answer

Potato Salad

v 6 medium potatoes, boiled in jackets, peeled and cubed

v 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped

v 2 tbsp. Minced onion

v 4 dill pickles, chopped

v 1 1/2c; cup mayonnaise

v 3 tbsp. Prepared mustard

v 4 tbsp. Dill pickle juice

v 1 tsp. Salt

v 1/2 tsp. Black pepper

Mix all ingredients, except potatoes. If possible, potatoes should go into other ingredients while still warm. Stir in potatoes until well blended. Cover and chill at least 4 hours before serving.

Best Answer

I slice Yukon Gold potaoes (or your choice) leaving the skins on. Lightly coat with oil, the bottom of your baking dish. Put in potatoes and pour a bottle of ranch dressing, then sprinkle pepper and garlic powder on potatoes. Stir to coat potatoes. Bake @ 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes (potatoes should be soft) This is great cooked in the oven or on the grill

wrapped in foil.

Best Answer

Here is a delicious potatoe salad recipe

.

POTATOE SALAD FROM MILWAUKEE

2 1/2 # potatoes--boil with peelings on.

1/3 cup vinegar

1/4 cup veg oil

2 TBLS sugar

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp dry mustatd

1/3 cup chopped onion

2 TBLS chopped parsley

1/4 tsp black pepper

4 hard cooked eggs.

1/2 to 1 cup salad dressing

While potatoes are cooking, beat with fork, vinegar, oil,sugar and salt & drt mustard.. Set aside. As soon as potatoes are done, drain and remove skins. Slice in large bowl. While potatoes are still hot add egg, onion, parslley and toss. Immediately pour the oil mixture over, but do not toss. Let stand 1 hour at room temperature to marinate.

Add salad dressing and toss. Refrigerate. These will keep several days in frig.

.

Best Answer

MASHED POTATO CANDY

3/4 c. warm mashed potatoes

4 c. powdered sugar

4 c. flake coconut

almond bark

Mix up and chill all ingredients. Then roll in small balls and chill again. When chilled, dip in melted chocolate almond bark and lay on wax paper. Cool. (I prefer 1 part white almond bark mixed with 2 parts chocolate almond bark.)

MASHED POTATO CANDY

4 c. coconut

3/4 c. cooked, cold mashed potatoes

1 lb. powdered sugar

6 oz. chocolate chipsA

small piece of paraffin

Mix the first 3 ingredients together. Shape into balls the size of a walnut. Let dry on wax paper. Melt chips and paraffin on low heat. Dip balls into chocolate. Taste like Mounds candy bars.

POTATO CANDY

1/2 cup mashed potatoes

powered sugar

peanut butter

Combine 1/2 cup mashed potatoes and power sugar till is firm enough to roll. The mixture will become very wet; just keep adding powdered sugar. roll out on powdered sugar like noodles. Cover with peanut butter. Roll into jelly roll cut into small pieces. Very rich!

Best Answer

I make a recipe similar to Debbie-Jenn's but instead of using onion soup mix, I cut the unpeeled potatoes, in large dice, in one layer into a baking pan with a little olive oil in the bottom. Then I sprinkle and toss with ground rosemary and thyme or garlic powder and chile powder or whatever herbs I want (you can also add bread crumbs). Cover with foil and bake at 350o or up until tender (I usually use a hot oven for 30 or a lower oven for 45-60 min.). Leftovers are great for morning fried potatoes added to onions and peppers.

Does anyone have any potato recipes? I buy potatos by the bag and sometimes they go bad before I get to them all.

Robin from Marietta, GA

Best Answer

I make easy roasted potatoes a lot. Cut up your potatoes into uniform sized pieces - not too small. In a cup I mix together about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and whatever seasonings I feel like that night - rosemary, marjoram, italian seasonings, maybe mix a few together. Coat the potatoes with the oil mixture and cook for about 40-50 minutes at 425 degrees. Use a spatula to mix them up every 15 minutes or so.

Best Answer

Bake them, cut them open and set out a potato buffet - chili, cheese, creamed vegetables, other cream sauces, meat leftovers with a gravy, anything you can think of. Chop up some bacon, fry it and chop up the cooked (baked potatoes) into the fry pay to warm and absorb the bacon flavor - you may want to pour off some bacon grease first - this is my husband's all time favorite. Make "skillets" like Village Inn, etc. - fry them with meat, eggs, etc. Wonderful !! Make a cream sauce and chop up cooked potatoes in that - we like it with peas and sometimes cooked onions. Just a few suggestions we like!

Best Answer

POTATO CANDY

3/4 c. mashed potatoes

1 lb. coconut

1 lb. icing sugar

1 tsp. almond extract

Mix all together. Form into small balls. Refrigerate 1/2 - 1 hour. Dip in melted chocolate and cool on waxed paper. Store layered with waxed paper (in fridge). These keep well. Who says potatoes can be used only as a veggie? Enjoy!

Best Answer

Make extra potatoes when you bake potatoes, put leftovers in fridge, next morning cut them up for home fries, or add onions and bell pepper to them, so good. Use leftover mashed potatoes for potato cakes. When I was a kid, my mom devised this way of using leftover mashed potatoes the next day. I actually prefer these to plain old mashed potatoes. She coats them in seasoned flour then cooks them very slowly in lots of butter. You have to be patient with this recipe, because if you try to turn the cakes too soon, you won't get the delicious buttery crust. Also, if you know you are going to recycle the leftovers into cakes, don't add any additional milk or butter to the mashed potatoes or your cakes will be too loose to form.

Potato Cakes

Ingredients

• 2 cups chilled mashed potatoes (see Note)
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
  • 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Divide the mashed potatoes into 8 equal portions. Use your hands to form 1/2-inch thick patties. Heat the oil with the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Mix the flour with the salt and pepper in a pie plate. Coat the potato patties in the flour mixture. Add the potato cakes to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until they have formed a golden crust, 15 to 20 minutes. (Peek underneath using a spatula before turning.) Turn and cook the other side until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper and serve hot.

Note: Make mashed potatoes from the "innards" of the Garlic Roasted Potato Skins by mashing them with 1/2 cup hot milk and 4 Tbsp. of softened, unsalted butter. Don't forget to season them with salt and pepper! Chill the mashed potatoes overnight for the best results. This was by sara moulton. Here are a few more recipes we love.

Bacon and Cheddar Mashed Potatoes

Source: Cooking Light magazine

You'll make this recipe time and again. Tailor the flavors to suit your preferences by using Swiss cheese instead of cheddar or proscuitto instead of bacon.

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 lb. cubed peeled baking potato
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 2 Tbsp. reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled (drained)

Directions

Place potato in a saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and return potato to pan. Add cheese and milk; mash to desired consistency. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly. Add onions and remaining ingredients, stirring to combine.

8 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)

Recipe reprinted by permission of Cooking Light magazine. All rights reserved

Baked Potato Casserole

Ingredients

• 6 medium Idaho/Russet potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
  • (about an 1/8in. thick)
  • 1 small onion, skinned and diced
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 12 oz shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 lb bacon, fried and crumbled
  • sour cream
  • chives
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced

Directions

Place sliced potatoes in crock pot. Place crumbled bacon and 3/4 of the cheese into the crock and mix with potatoes. Stir minced garlic into the melted butter and drizzle over the potato mixture. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until potatoes are tender. About 15 minutes before serving, sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese and chives. Serve with sour cream and any other baked potato condiments that you prefer. The first time you make this dish, you may not want to use all of the cheese. My family likes a lot of cheese and 1 2oz is a rather generous amount for this casserole. As a time-saver, you may replace the fried crumbled bacon with Oscar Meyer bacon bits.

Cheesy Grilled Potatoes

Prep: 15 min, Cook: 35 min.

Ingredients

• 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
  • heavy duty aluminum foil
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 Tbs. parsley, minced
  • 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/3 cup chicken stock

Directions

Prepare grill or preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine the potatoes and onion on a large piece of foil. Dot with butter. Combine cheese, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle over potatoes. Fold foil up around potatoes, add stock. Tightly seal edges of foil. Grill over medium coals 35-40 minutes, or bake 1 hour until potatoes are tender.

Best Answer

Potatoes Supreme

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

16 oz. sour cream

enough potatoes cut in quarter-size rounds to fill a 9x13" baking dish half way

6 slices bacon (cooked & crumbled)

green onions (to taste)

1-2 cups cheddar cheese

In bowl, combine soup & sour cream. (set aside) In pot, boil potatoes in salted water just until tender. (drain) Place potatoes in baking dish(sprayed w/ Pam) Pour soup mixture over potatoes. Top w/ green onions, bacon, & cheese. Bake @ 350 degrees until bubbly & cheese is melted!!

I have a five pound bag of golden potatoes that I need to use. I would love some freezer, tried recipes. Thanks!

By mindy from Terrebonne, OR

I don't see why you can't use these potatoes in any casserole recipe that calls for potatoes and then freeze the casseroles.

Potatoes are one of the cheapest vegetables available, especially at this time of year with the new crops coming in.

What are your favorite potato recipes? These can be for main dishes or side dishes.

Answers:

Shepherd's Pie

An economical and easy recipe involving potatoes is shepherd's pie.

• 1 cup cubed, cooked beef
  • 1 cup diced, cooked mixed vegetables
  • 1/2 cup beef gravy
  • 2 cups mashed potatoes, should be kind of dry

Mix beef, vegetables, and gravy together. Spoon into individual crocks, like the kind used for french onion soup. Spoon mashed potatoes on top. Bake at 350F degrees for 50-60 mins. You can garnish with a bit of shredded cheese if desired. Serves 2 hungry adults.

I use up leftovers this way. I make this for my husband and myself when I have left over steak or roast. You can use lamb or pork if you want. Don't use more gravy, as it will make the mashed potatoes too mushy.

(07/13/2001)

By Kathy - Northfield, VT

Beef Hash

• 1 cup shredded, cooked beef
  • 2 cups diced, potatoes
  • a bit of oil
  • salt & pepper

Heat large skillet, add oil. Cook beef and potatoes over med-low heat until slightly soft. Add salt and pepper to taste. Lower heat to low and cook until potatoes are soft. Mix well while cooking.

This is great as a side for eggs or quiche and as a main dish for dinner.
Use leftover beef. Very cheap to make. A can of beef hash in the stores is around $2.

(07/13/2001)

By Kathy - Northfield,VT

Twice Baked Potatoes

• 1 large baking potato
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 2 Tbsp finely shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 Tbsp half & half, or milk
  • 2 Tbsp sour cream
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 tsp fresh chopped chives, 1/2 tsp dried

Bake potato. Cut hot potato in half, lengthwise. Scoop out potato, leave skin intact. Mash potato with butter and cheese. Stir in half & half and sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon mashed potato back into skins. Sprinkle with chives.

Bake at 350F for 20 mins. Serves 2

You can add any kind of vegetables you like to this for a more filling potato. A super-stuffed potato can be a whole meal. The twice baked potatoes they sell in the store go for about $3 for two tiny filled paper cups and are loaded with salt and junk.

(07/13/2001)

By Kathy - Northfield, VT

Stuffed Baked Potatoes

I like to make stuffed baked potatoes. Simply split open a large baked potato, scoop out some of the innards if necessary, then fill/top with leftover chili, shredded cheddar cheese, and minced onion. You could also top with salsa for a Mexican flavor.

It's a good way to stretch those leftovers! Also, whenever I bake potatoes, I bake several extra, then slice and fry them up in butter or oil for hash browns/home fries.

(07/14/2001)

By Becky

Ham & Potato Casserole

For 4 servings:

• 2 1/2 cups diced boiled potatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups cubed ham
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3 tbsp. chopped onion
  • 1 tsp. seasoned salt
  • 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese

Arrange potatoes and ham in a buttered casserole. Stir together cheese, sour cream, eggs, onion, and seasoned salt. Pour mixture over ham and potatoes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until set.

Optional:
Add 1 cup peas or other favorite vegetable.
Also, you can substitute cooked elbow macaroni for the potatoes.

(07/16/2001)

By Carole

Easy/Cheesy Potato-Veg

• 2 large baking potatoes
  • 1 can Reduced Fat (or regular) cream of (Whatever) soup
  • 1/2 bag frozen veggies (mixed/broccoli/whatever)
  • 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

Cook the potatoes:

Either bake for one hour in oven @375 degrees F or
Microwave for @10 min. Wrap in foil and set aside

Steam the veggies, drain and return to saucepan
Add the soup and 1/4 can of water. Stir until hot and bubbly, remove from heat, add the cheese and stir until melted.

Split each potato and spoon the veggies over and serve.
May add cooked chicken or chopped ham to soup/veggies if desired

Bon Appetite! (07/17/2001)

By Margaret

Scalloped Potatoes/Au Gratin Potatoes

Here's my favorite scalloped potatoes recipe:

• 2 lb peeled potatoes, sliced thin
  • 2 1/2 cups half and half
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Spray baking dish with non-stick spray. In saucepan, simmer potatoes, half and half, garlic, 1 cup cheese, and salt and pepper to taste for four minutes. Pour into baking dish, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake in 350 degree F in oven for 45 minutes. Yummy!

(07/17/2001)

By Connie

Baby Reds and Parsley

My favorite potato recipe is baby reds with parsley.

Take some nice washed baby reds. If small enough, steam them whole, or if larger cut them in half or quarters. Steam them for about 20 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.

Take a bunch of fresh parsley (I get lots in my garden but if you are buying it, one bunch from the produce section will work well), rinse well and chop fine. Put it in the steamer with the potatoes after they are cooked. Steam for another minute or two until the parsley changes color.

Serve with butter or margarine. Also good with sour cream. Simple, attractive and delicious.
(07/18/2001)

By Susan

Scalloped Potatoes Two

I just read Connie's recipe for scalloped potatoes. The recipe she gives is for au gratin potatoes, scalloped potatoes do not have cheese in them. Here is a scalloped potato recipe.

• 3-4 potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
  • 3-4 Tbsp. butter or margarine, cut into tiny bits
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • paprika
  • milk, about 1 cup

Spray a 1 1/2 or 2 quart casserole dish with no stick spray, or rub with butter. Add a layer of potatoes, sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper, scatter about a 1/4 of butter bits over top. Repeat layers until casserole is almost full. Sprinkle top with paprika. Add enough milk to cover. Bake at 350F for 50-60 mins.

Makes 4-6 servings

*NOTE:* Do NOT fill dish to the top as the milk will bubble as it cooks, this forms the sauce. You can also just place sliced potatoes in a dish and cover with medium white sauce, then bake.

I am sorry the recipe is not exact. I don't normally measure for this as I have been making it for over 25 years. I make this about once a week in a 1 1/2 qt dish with 3 potatoes.

(07/19/2001)

By Kathy

Scalloped Potato Tip

Instead of sprinkling the flour and seasoning on a layer of potatoes and adding bits of butter, I combine about 2 cups of flour and a teaspoon of salt and as much pepper as you like in a bowl. Cut a cup of cold butter into it until it is crumbly. Sprinkle this over the layers of potatoes.

Then store the unused portion in the refrigerator in a covered glass jar. This should make several casseroles of scalloped potatoes. (07/20/2001)

By Harlean

Favorite Potato Recipes

If you don't like sour cream (which we don't), use cheese like Velveeta instead and nuke them. Mix in some veggies & whatever leftover meat is around. It's a meal. We call our "nuke" our summer kitchen, even though we use it all year. We don't have a/c so cooking can be a nightmare in summer even with exhaust fans, so we use it a lot more and eat a lot of cold food like sandwiches, salads and cold cereal for breakfast. Cereal & a banana does just fine.
In the fall before we turn on our heat, we are glad to use the oven as with the help of fans it warms the whole house on a 2 for 1 price.

(07/23/2001)

By Linne

Favorite Potato Recipes

My husband often asked me to boil more potatoes than immediately needed, so I could later make hash browns, adding diced onion. This involved a fry pan and way too much shortening, to say nothing of stirring. Now I quarter or slice cold leftover potatoes, spray them lightly on all sides with Pam and broil them, turning them just once or twice. He loves them and gets far less fat in his diet. I'm sure one could also sprinkle them with various spices or grated cheese. I just call 'em Oven Browned potatoes. (06/10/2002)

By janethounsell

Favorite Potato Recipes

Take as many potatoes as is necessary to feed the brood (like I know). Coat skillet with non-stick cooking spray and turn on over medium high heat. Dice potatoes and add butter (margarine your choice), salt, pepper, minced garlic, and McCormicks Montery Steak Seasoning to taste. I love mine spicy so do as you like. Add a little water to the skillet and cover for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook as normal until golden brown. These are a huge success and are best served as steak fries. (08/28/2004)

By Suzanne S.

Favorite Potato Recipes

Here's a yummy spice combination that you wouldn't expect - salt, pepper, garlic (salt or powder), and ground cloves! Weird eh? A dab will do ya though. Just put it on some baby (or quartered) potatoes and roast or fry, or whatever you want. Wrapped in foil on the BBQ is good too. You could add onions to this too - yum. (11/26/2004)

By Linsay

Favorite Potato Recipes

Potato Salad

• 6 medium potatoes, boiled in jackets, peeled and cubed
  • 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
  • 2 tbsp. minced onion
  • 4 dill pickles, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 tbsp. prepared mustard
  • 4 tbsp. dill pickle juice
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper

Mix all ingredients, except potatoes. If possible, potatoes should go into other ingredients while still warm. Stir in potatoes until well blended. Cover and chill at least 4 hours before serving. (01/25/2005)

By cjgeo

Shepherds Pie

• 1 large can of beef stew
  • instant mash potato (prepared)
  • spray casserole dish
  • pour warm stew in dish put mash potatoes in a circle over pie
  • bake 10-15 mins. @350 degrees

simple and quick (12/10/2007)

By Linda