Recipes Using Quinoa

I was reading someone's blog where she was talking about Quinoa. I think it is a grain that kind of looks like rice. I was wondering if anyone has any good recipes for it? Due to a dairy allergy, I cannot eat milk, cheese, or cream soups.

Barbara from Pittsburg, KS

Recipes Using Quinoa

Try that recipe, but replace the rice with 1 cup of quinoa. I also replace the kielbasa with smoked sausage, but that's more of a preference. It is a very healthy and hearty meal. Makes nice servings. (08/15/2008)

By Kevin

Recipes Using Quinoa

This is from

Cooked quinoa is excellent in hot casseroles and soups, stews, in stir-fries, or cold in salads. The seeds cook very quickly, in only 15 minutes. Uncooked seeds may be added to soups and stews as you would barley or rice and quinoa is often substituted for rice in rice dishes. Dry roasting quinoa in a pan or in the oven, before cooking will give a toasted flavor, and it can be cooked in fruit juice to add character to the flavor for use as a breakfast cereal or in desserts.

Cold salads consisting of quinoa and chopped vegetables or cooked beans make a quick, easy, and nutritious dish. Quinoa flour is used in making pasta and a variety of baked goods such as pancakes, bread, muffins, and crackers. Quinoa seeds can be sprouted and eaten as raw, live food for snacks or in salads and sandwiches. To sprout the seeds, soak about 1/3 cup seeds in a jar for 2 to 4 hours, then drain and rinse the seeds twice a day for 2 to 4 days. When the sprouts are about 1 inch long, place them near a window for chlorophyll to develop, which will give them a vibrant green color. Another fascinating way of using quinoa is to "pop" the seeds in a dry skillet and eat them as a dry cereal. (08/15/2008)

By Scott E.

Recipes Using Quinoa

I have a wonderful recipe that won me a red, first place ribbon.

You toast almond slices, without the skin. In olive oil, saute a lot of sweet onions like Vidalia if you have them. Cook the quinoa either in a rice cooker or on the stove as you would rice, but use half Swanson's chicken stock and water. When almost done, take raisins, the onions, and almond slivers and mix with the quinoa. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook till finished. I like to use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter to coat it all or olive oil towards the end to moisten a bit more. Enjoy.

By Daphna101

Recipes Using Quinoa

Try Quinoa Salad with Dried Fruit and Nuts at

Good hot or cold, switch out the dried fruits as some suggestions say and use different nuts. (08/17/2008)

By Paperlady in MT

Quinoa in a Bowl on White Background
Recipes Using Quinoa
Quinoa Casserole Recipes
Quinoa Casserole Recipes
Broccoli Cheese Quinoa
Broccoli Cheese Quinoa Recipes
Quinoa Soup
Quinoa Soup Recipes
Two crossed candy canes and a tree shaped cookie cutter.
Recipes Using Candy Canes