Recipes Using TVP

I recently bought some TVP (textured vegetable protien). Does any one have some good recipes with this in place of meat? We are not vegetarians, just trying to reduce the cost of meat in our meals.

Thanks so much,
Barb from Fairview, MI

Answers:

Recipes Using TVP

I purchased one of Linda McCarty's cookbooks & it's great. The recipes are practical & easy. She used a lot of TVP and veggie patties etc. Her cookbooks are pretty cheap now too. (02/27/2006)

By Me

Recipes Using TVP

I have been a veggie and my DD 12, is now. I use it to make Tacos, Nachos, Chili, Sloppy Joe's,
etc. I use it basically like I would hamburger. TVP is one of those products that some is OK and others isn't so good. Seems to me some has a rubbery texture to it while others actually has a texture very similar to hamburger. Good Luck and have fun with it! (02/27/2006)

By Robin

Recipes Using TVP

You can make Sloppy Joe's, tacos, lasagna, or in just about anything to replace ground meat. I believe you need to soak it in boiling water first to re-hydrate it. Here's one place to start: http://waltonfeed.com/self/tvp.html Good luck! (02/27/2006)

By Maryeileen

Recipes Using TVP

My old technique came from Linda McCartney's first cookbook. She recommended browning it in a skillet before hydrating. I brown it in a hot skillet with just a quick toss around. I used it for years as a vegetarian substitute for hamburger. Works well in any saucy dish like tacos, chili, or pasta sauce. Also works great mixed with hamburger. Mix half and half after hydrating the TVP and browning the hamburger. (02/27/2006)

By Lou

Recipes Using TVP

I never had any luck with TVP at home, yet had it at restaurants and went back for seconds.
Sautéing it before re-hydrating seems like a good idea. Will have to try it. (02/27/2006)

By Holly

Recipes Using TVP

I soak TVP in hot water first. Then I brown it with a little olive oil. I like to add a bit of beef bouillon and Mrs Grass Smokey Chipotle Seasoning for tacos and nachos. I make fake sausage by adding a little chicken bouillon and a little beef bouillon, some pepper and some sage. Use TVP in hamburger helper type boxed meals - stroganoff, cheeseburger macaroni, lasagne. Add some to meatloaf, meatballs and hamburgers. (02/27/2006)

By thriftyboo

Recipes Using TVP

I use TVP almost every time I cook with ground beef. After browning ground beef I just sprinkle on the TVP (I started with a little a then started using more until I found a ratio of meat to TVP that my family liked) and then added whatever seasonings/sauces I normally use (spaghetti sauce, taco seasoning, etc.) and just add a little extra liquid for the TVP to absorb. If I'm making something without browning the meat first (hamburgers, meatloaf, etc.) then I just mix in the TVP with the uncooked ground beef and make sure I add some extra moisture to the mix so it doesn't end up dry when cooked.

I found my family doesn't like it when I use only TVP in a recipe, but we can stretch our budget by using about half TVP and half meat in any ground beef recipe and it still tastes great. (02/28/2006)

By Trix

Recipes Using TVP

I haven't used it myself yet, but have read that first time users should start out by mixing it 50/50 with their ground meats. I have read that it will take on the flavor of the meat this way.
(02/28/2006)

By Brenda Thompson

Recipes Using TVP

Could you tell me when you find TVP? In a health food store or a regular supermarket? Thanks in advance! (02/28/2006)

By Rebekah

Recipes Using TVP

Rebekah: I buy my TVP at the Bulk Barn (a bulk food store) and it's really cheap! You can also find it at health food stores. (02/28/2006)

By Trix

Recipes Using TVP

You can also find it in the frozen food section of many grocery stores/supermarkets. Morning Star Farms have is one brand with a lot of items and there are even (frozen) Crumbles, but I can't remember who they are made by. Maybe Green Giant? I'm not sure if the grocery stores sell dried TVP. (02/28/2006)

By Maryeileen

Recipes Using TVP

Hi, thanks to all those gals out there who answered me. I ran into sort of a problem but fixed it. Let me explain, I bought a 50 pound bag of chunks ans so many recipes call for smaller cuts. I took a cup and reconstituted it with water and used my handy food processor to chop it up. Works great. Thanks again. (03/02/2006)

By barbo

Recipes Using TVP
Vanilla Ice Cream With Mint on Top
Recipes Using Mint
Dried lime cut in half.
Recipes Using Dried Limes
Two crossed candy canes and a tree shaped cookie cutter.
Recipes Using Candy Canes
🎉
🎄