Recipes for a Dog With Allergies

Does anyone have any homemade dog food recipes for a dog with food allergies? My Boxer is on Royal Canine Sensitivity Control and this doesn't seem to be working. We have tried other hypo-allergenic foods, but nothing helps. I want to try home cooked recipes.

Rachel from England

Recipes for a Dog With Allergies

I have had 3 Boxers and they all had allergies to one thing or another and very sensitive stomachs. There are lots of alternatives to dog food, which in my opinion does not make for a healthy dog. I feed my dogs rice with a lean meat and a vegetable. They will eat carrots, peas, apples, plain yogurt (yogurt has active cultures and will not be a problem for lactose intolerance) and eggs, they love canned pumpkin and I sometimes substitute the rice for a pasta. My Boxers have lived very long and healthy lives so I hope this will help. Also there are some websites available to help you select a homemade diet you think your dog will enjoy. Good luck. (12/28/2007)

By Tara

Recipes for a Dog With Allergies

My dogs love it when I boil a whole chicken and mix the meat with vegetables. A simple chicken dinner for your dog would be to buy a whole chicken, boil it in a large, deep pan in water. I add a can of chicken broth for taste. Boil until the meat is cooked well. Let the chicken cool. You can use turkey as well, but chicken is less expensive. Depending upon how many dogs you are feeding, mix a large can of "Veg All" vegetables. You can also add cooked white rice if you want. Make sure to get all of the bones off of the chicken meat by carefully peeling the meat away from the bones, after it cools. Mix the meat and veggies together and serve.

Some people substitute the rice for pasta. You can even add a spoon full of peanut butter. The most important thing to do when any pet is suffering from allergies is to find out what exactly is causing their allergy issues. Have your pet tested before changing things. Sometimes the allergy issue isn't coming from where we think it is. If you type in "home made foods for your pet" in your Google search bar, you'll find all kinds of good websites come up that have hundreds of terrific pet recipes that you can make at home. (01/01/2008)

By Doodleplum

RE: Recipes for a Dog With Allergies

Recipes for a Dog With Allergies

There are other causes of allergies other than food. If you have tried the hypoallergenic diets and he is still itchy, he probably also has atopy. That is allergies to other things, grass, house dust, fleas, you name it. They can be allergic to anything like you can be. You didn't say how old your dog was. If he is less than a year old, then his food is a very common cause, if no fleas are in the picture. (01/02/2008)

By junebug_000

Recipes for a Dog With Allergies

This is a site run by veterinary nutritionists.

Another good site, but you have to know what he's allergic to. Good healthy whole wheat or stone ground corn meal, eggs, or milk can cause severe reactions if you're allergic. (01/02/2008)

By aardvark

Recipes for a Dog With Allergies

I have an English Cocker Spaniel. At first, his allergies were just awful, mostly itchy skin, lots of scratching. I went on line, researched and learned that allergies are mostly diet related. So, I changed his diet. I use my rice cooker and do a mixture of hamburger meat, rice, and veggies.

First I boil the hamburger meat and then I use this juice to make the rice. You can use either white or brown rice. Then I chop onions, garlic, celery, broccoli, and carrots and put this whole mixture in my big rice cooker. It only takes a little while to make this in the rice cooker. I then cool this mixture and put it in Tupperware in the refrigerator and mix this half and half with Science Diet.

The mixture will last for about 4 or 5 days for two dogs (we also have a German Shepherd). My dogs love this food. No more skin allergies. My pets are healthy and happy. Good luck to you. It is really sad to watch your animals scratch and scratch and this diet will eliminate these allergies. At least, it helped my dogs. I have also given liquid Benadryl for children in an eye dropper and this helps if allergies are really bad. (01/03/2008)

By Sharon S

Recipes for a Dog With Allergies

If found this recipe in my groomers magazine. The ingredients are as follows:

• 3 lbs ground beef
  • 3-16oz cans of tomatoes
  • 2 cups corn meal (white or yellow)
  • 2 cups Wheatena
  • 3 eggs
  • up to 2 cups water as needed

Mix the ingredients together as you would a regular meat loaf, bake in a loaf pan in a pre-heated 345 degree F oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Feed when cold, adding suitable multi-vitamin supplement. Of course, not all at once. Just divide up into regular portions as you see fit.

Feed this diet for a month and compare the dog's condition at the end of it so that you can evaluate whether or not it has been beneficial. Add "no" salt as too much salt has also been associated with outbreaks of skin irritation. This is particularly true in homes with water softeners. Dogs with persistent dry skin and skin irritations might well benefit by being given purified low sodium water to drink. (01/03/2008)

By Pat

Recipes for a Dog With Allergies

I use ground venison and potatoes for my Beagle with allergies. She is allergic to beef, chicken, and corn so that's all that has worked. I've heard duck is good to for pets with allergies. (01/04/2008)

Recipes for a Dog With Allergies

I recently began making my own cat food. I just went to the bookstore and bought a cat food cookbook. It wasn't expensive and has about 50 recipes including treats. I am sure you could find a dog food cook book, too. (01/04/2008)

By Beth

Recipes for a Dog With Allergies

I have found that Natural Balance sweet potato and fish work for my Lab. He has extreme allergies and was constantly biting his paws and suffering horrible ear infections until I switched to this. It is much cheaper than the $80 hypoallergenic food you get from your vet. Petco carries it too! (07/22/2008)

By S.Adams

Recipes for a Dog With Allergies

My dog is allergic to wheat and I finally found some really good recipes to make for her. It's called Hypo-Allergenic Dog Treat Recipe ebook and it is a wonderful cookbook for dogs with food allergies. It contains dozens of recipes for cookies, dinners, and other treats that are wheat free. It also has recipes that are corn, dairy, meat, and egg free. With recipe ingredient suitable substitutions, dietary and herbal supplement suggestions it also has a lot of information about how to reduce allergic reactions and how to strengthen your dog's immune system with vitamins and common herbs. You can find it at (08/26/2008)

By chamysmom

Recipes for a Dog With Allergies

My Pitbull has 32 different allergies, several that are food allergies. I started buying the Cannidae lamb and rice formula for him and it really seemed to help. His itching has stopped completely. (04/07/2009)

By littlephoot24

Recipes for a Dog With Allergies
Dog standing by food dish.
Does My Dog Have Food Allergies?
Dog With Allergies
Treating Dogs With Seasonal Allergies
Dog With Food Allergies
Feeding a Dog With Food Allergies
Woman With Allergies
Traveling with Allergies