TipsFrugal Living

Recycle Your Own Bottles and Cans

Vote for this contest contender!

I love taking bottles and cans to my local recycling center because it's good for the environment, I get some additional exercise, and I make extra pocket money. Some states have a bottle bill, allowing you to get 5 to 10 cents for every empty can or bottle you return. The place I take mine to do it by weight. Check out what I made on the receipt. This was for a few weeks of picking up at my house and at my studio.

Click the link below to see if your state has a bottle bill.

Link: http://www.bottlebill.org/legislation/usa.htm

I give my recycles to my parents' and they go to a recycle place down the street. :)

Youth organizations' volunteers (Scouts Canada, in my neighbourhood), happily pick up such items: it's one way to donate without any real out-of-pocket expense.

Some lady in my neighborhood goes around and empties everyone's recycling cans on recycling day. When my son moved out, I had no water bottles for her to take anymore. She got mad at me:)

I was glad to see your post on recycling. Recycling can be a lot of work, sorting, rinsing, ESPECIALLY for seniors or those who don't have time or motivation. Our County recycles everything and collects and sells the waste or incinerates it, depending. Recycling is SO important. I urge those who don't have a total recycling program to try to develop one for residences, businesses, and for trash on public lands.