Recycled Garden and Yard Art

There are many items that can be reused or refashioned to decorate your yard and garden. This guide is about recycled garden and yard art.

July 12, 2010 Flag

I had a corner of my garden that needed some color this spring. I saw some garden totems made of glass, but I wanted something with more color. I scavenged garage sales, thrift shops, and my own home and came up with this interpretation of my own. It gives my dull corner some brightness until the flowers start blooming. You can see a photo on my gardening blog under "Totem, Love'm":

By yoder178 from Elkhart, IN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Creativity taken to the limits!

September 13, 2012 Flag

My brother made this for me out of my dishes from the attic, a spatula, spoon, and old spindle from a banister. Gotta love it. His touch was the metal around the flower.

Approximate Time:

Instructions:

1. Drill holes in center of 2 plates and the metal.
  2. Put a screw thru all 3.
  3. Add spoon and spatula at angles an secure with tiny screws.
  4. Spray paint it.

Now you have a cute yard decoration.

By bali from Summerhill, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 23, 2004 Flag

I was going through the unsold items from my yard sale. I found some wooden art frames. They were beautiful. I used some of them as flower garden borders, and some I wrapped thread, yarn, etc. around and made a trellis out of it, it is leaning against the porch. I planted some morning glories.

I also stuck some dead branches I had cut off one of the trees, they were about two feet high and pretty thick, into the ground for a trellis. I like using natural things for trailing plants.

I am going to use some old shoes as hanging planters and hang them in the trees also.

By Racer

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A picture would be nice!

February 23, 2009 Flag

Is there any way I can use hubcaps as yard art?

Betty from Lubbock, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

They could be some interesting snowmen and add some lights, awesome.

Depending on the type of hubcaps, you could bury part of them with them standing up and arrange them around a flower bed, as a border of a sidewalk, or if they are deep enough you could use them for birdseed and hang in trees, you may have to drill some holes in them to do this, but the old Ford (I think) pickup hubcaps were deep enough for a bird bath, just keep it clean and low enough to check the water level regularly.

If you are a welder or whatever it would take, you could make all sorts of things. Just let your imagination soar!

Tina

You could make birdbaths from them . My neice made me one out of an old washpan of my Mom's. She cut a small tree from the woods and drilled hole in pan. Used a rubber gasket or silicone to seal aroung after screwing it to the tree, Then add a base to make it stand. I don.t know why the hub cap wouldn't work. Could use landscaping timbers also.

I'm with Tina, above. I'm also thinking that they would make great squirrel baffles for any hanging birdfeeders you might have, too! And maybe sundials...?

stepping stones?

Yes you can make anything into yard art

January 31, 2008 Flag

Does anyone know how to make yard art out of old broken rakes, shovels, etc?

Rolayne from Beasley, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

if you have a bunch of old tool and have a shed or garage or somewhere you can hang as a display kinda prim country style i did this on my milk house at the farm but shovels can have bird houses attached to them pint them out add barn type wooden stars etc let the imagine wander

What kind of yard art are you wanting to make? You mean use the tools for the actual piece of art? Otherwise if you carve yard art you can use the handles from the tools to hold the art in place in the ground.

I can see people made with old and broken tools. Shovel for face and body(if no handle, wire to a sturdy stick or stake) Rakes for arms and hands(again, if no handle wire to stick or stake)Wire the handles of the rakes together so they lie horizontally, then attach to shovel so that the rakes are like shoulders, arms and hands below the shovel blade going across(horizontally) Dress you tool dude or dudette in old clothes and plant 'em where you want 'em(might even work as a good scarecrow) Add eyes etc with screws, bolts or small pieces from those broken tools, attaching with weather proof glue for metal(or welding if you are handy that way)Or nail parts to a fence or shed wall. You could even dress this one with tool parts, like two trowel blades for a bra and a square blade spade or a fan rake for a skirt, u could also make fringe on the spade using a tined rake blade.

try this website, they have some of the most wonderful, creative ideas for making garden stuff out of junk. You can search their archives for what you want, or post a question for ideas -this is a great website, I spent days & days reading back through all the messages when I first found it - alot like I did with this group too,LOL!!

http://forums2.  com/forums/junk/

Home and Garden Gardening DecorationSeptember 20, 2012
Recycled garden art. A man made from recycled clay pots.
Making Recycled Garden Art
A gnome in a garden.
Preventing Yard and Garden Theft
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
Bicycle Wheel
Making a Recycled Bicycle Wheel Pot Rack
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 12:40:08 AM on 10.0.2.252 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.