Recycled Paper Pots

This is in response to the post about making recyclable plantable paper. I have been thinking about taking that idea a step farther and making little flower pots from recycled paper with seeds in them. Do you think they would still sprout if the whole pot was planted? Also, any ideas about an eco-friendly additive that would help them keep shape?

Hope someone can help!

Manijeh from Portland, OR

Feedback:

RE: Recycled Paper Pots

Yes you can! When I had a garden, I would plant my seeds in little paper cups holding potting soil. I would then place them in empty egg cartons (not the plastic or foam ones) and when my seedlings were big enough to move to the garden, I would carefully cut the egg carton and plant each seedling in it's egg "cup" separately wherever I needed it. Just puncture several small holes in the bottom. As the seedling grows, the cup will disappear (and so will the paper cup) into the soil as mulch; in the meantime protecting the seedling. I had nearly 100% success with this method. I hope you have the same. (08/01/2008)

By sheilamay

RE: Recycled Paper Pots

Awhile back the following link was on ThriftyFun.com. These boxes can be made out of newspaper and in different sizes for different size plantings. When folded they are 2-4 layers thick but flexible enough that you could make 2 or 3 the same size and put them inside each other if you wanted a thicker container. http://www.origami-club.com/en/newspaper/garbagebin/index.htm (08/03/2008)

By Bette