Recycling Aluminum

Category Metal
Woman Recycling Aluminum Cans
Much of the aluminum that is produced gets thrown in the garbage instead of the recycle bin. It doesn't take much to recycle it and you can even earn some cash doing it. This guide is about recycling aluminum.

I was told to remove labels and wash out the can before smashing it and putting it in the recycle bin. I did that for quite awhile until my cousin, who is an emergency room doctor asked me which was more valuable, the water to wash the can, or the tin recycled. No wonder he is a doctor. Pretty smart thinking. He saves the clean water which is getting more and more hard to get, and throws the can away. It is our decision to make. I'm just saying.

When I am out walking, which I do several mornings a week, I pick up any aluminum cans I see. We live in a nice neighborhood and it amazes me the amount of aluminum cans thrown out of cars as litter. I originally started to do this just to have the neighborhood look better, but then started crushing the cans and putting them in a large trash bag in the garage. I now take them to the aluminum recycling place that pays for aluminum cans by the weight. The first trip netted me over $8.00 and change. I pack my husband's lunch each day and he takes a canned drink. He has started bringing the can back home each day, crushing it and adding it to the trash bag waiting to be filled in the garage.

By Bobbie G. from Rockwall, TX

This is a guide about selling pop tabs. Aluminum pop tabs may have some monetary value if you find a crafter or recycling center that will buy them.

Pop Tabs

Read More... Was this helpful? 4

Currently I get 57 cents a pound for aluminum cans. I am not only reducing waste by switching from plastic bottles to cans, but also earning some money. I have made 5 dollars in less than a month as a single person.

By Kat from Pittsburgh, PA

Where do you start? If you can do nothing else, aluminum beverage cans are a good place to start. Recycling aluminum reduces energy use by 90 to 95%. Energy saved from recycling one aluminum can will run a TV for 3 hours.

Just start saving them in a garbage bag. If you don't have a recycling pick up service in your area there are many people that will be happy to take the cans for you. You can also save up a bunch and take them to a recycling center and get paid for them.

Before you throw out an aluminum can, please think twice about it.

Does anyone have suggestions for where to find scraps of aluminum sheets or pieces? Not Coke cans.

Thanks,
carolb4 from Fairview, TN

Start with someone in the HVAC line of work. The metal they use to make duct work isn't aluminum, but they often have access to all kinds of sheet metal from their suppliers. You may find someone with aluminum scraps.

I am not sure if in this age of digital type setting if this is still the way that newspapers print, but when I was a child the local newspaper used to use metal sheets in the printing process and would sell the used ones VERY cheaply. Check with your local newspaper.

You can buy a roll of aluminum (flashing) at Lowes home improvement stores. A roll 10 inches wide and 10 feet long runs around $8.00. They possibly have thicker flat sheets of it too.

Lowes and Home Depot stores sell aluminum on rolls for roof repair, it is fairly thin so might be what you are looking for.

carol:

might i ask what you are using them for? i do metalsmithing (jewellry and wind chimes) and use tin cans, mandarin oranges, pineapple (small cans), del monte fruit cups, carnation canned milk (small cans) and olive oil cans are all great sources of aluminum/steel sheets ... just cut out both ends and cut along the seam of the can with a pair of aviation snips ... i used to buy flashing but found the cans were better quality ... if you have any questions please post again

hugs

cailifouhnofthemist