Recycling Ideas For Drainage Fill In Containers

I came up with a no cost idea for lightweight fill to use in the bottom of over sized pots or planters. I have used broken terra cotta pots and packing peanuts in the past. Problem was the terra cotta was heavy and I did not usually have packing peanuts.

This year I simply used a plastic gallon size pot that one of the plants came in and turned it upside down over the drainage hole in the bottom of the large pot. Then I needed more filler that would let water through, so I raided my recycling bin. I used plastic soda bottles and cans to fill in up to where I wanted to start the layer of planting soil. To even off the pile of bottles and cans, I took the empty plastic flat the flowers came in and turned it upside down over the bottles and cans. Then I was able to add the soil without it falling between all the gaps left by the bottles and cans. The end result was the right amount of dirt for my plants, plenty of drainage and minimal weight from the fill.

Source: My own idea.

By cosmicmoret from Dallas TX

Answers:

I was thinking of smaller plants and using plastic bottle caps in the bottom. Actually I have been trying to find a use for the plastic caps. (04/20/2009)

By mpotorti

Photo of a potted plant.
Filler Ideas for Potted Plants
Hand cleaning leaves out of rain gutters 2
Cleaning Gutters and Downspouts
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Creating Adequate Drainage
Creating Adequate Drainage in Your Yard
🎉
🎄