Recycling Plastic Coffee Cans

I would like any ideas on recycling the newer plastic coffee cans.

Thanks in advance
Maria

P.S. I'm new to the site but love all the creative ideas!

Answers:
Planters and Storing Cookies 10/27/2004
I use them for planters and storing cookies.
By creative_one
Storing Food 10/28/2004
I use them for holding cookies, granola bars, pretzels and other snacks.
By Jay
Storing Bird Seed 10/28/2004
I use them for storing wild bird seed, no more bags to flop over and dump seed all over the garage. Plus, it's easier to pour out of than a bag.
By Marilyn E.
Recycling Plastic Coffee Cans 11/03/2004
Here are a few uses I have tried so far:
  1. as a perfect sized container for homemade baby and cleaning wipes
  2. for storing leftovers in the fridge and freezer
  3. for storing everything from paint to homemade cleaning products
  4. as canisters
  5. as mixing bowls
  6. as serving containers

YOU GET THE IDEA! They are microwaveable and are just like Tupperware to me and at $4.96 at Wal-Mart for the can of coffee... it's almost like FREE Tupperware!

BEFORE USING: fill empty can with cold water and 1/4 cup vinegar and let sit overnight to remove coffee smell.

By Reba Gayle Shurden
For Compost 11/10/2004
I use one for my kitchen compost - egg shells, fruit peels, vegetable pieces - you get the idea. When full I take to the compost pile.
By Audrey.
Catching Rain Water 01/19/2005
I use my plastic coffee cans to catch rain water and gather fresh snow in. It melts and I have rain water or melted snow for my plants, my soaps and lotions I make etc.
By tigerfire42498
Dog Food Scoop 01/19/2005
A lady I used to work with, who breeds fairly large dogs, uses them to scoop up dog food when she's feeding the dogs. She says the handles make it easy to scoop and go.
By calnorth
Hot Chocolate Container 01/19/2005
I make my own hot chocolate mix and I use a plastic coffee container for the hot chocolate. I also use them to water my indoor plants.
By deedon
Toilet Plunger Container 01/19/2005
I cut a slit in the top and put my toilet plunger handle through it and use it as a toilet plunger container!
By sofia
Throwing Away Broken Dishes 01/20/2005
I keep one on hand at all times empty so that if I break a plate or glass I can put the pieces in it to throw away so the shards won't slice the trash bag.
cj
By cjgeo
Holding Pencils 01/25/2005
I had a large box of colored pencils get spilled yesterday and the box that they came in got ripped. I just got out an old plastic coffee can and put the pencils in it tip side up. I'm sure I'll find a hundred more uses as I have an in-home childcare and have just started using the coffee out of plastic cans.
By johnsonya@cox.net
For Painting 01/28/2005
The small plastic containers that contain coffee (approx. 13 ounce size) are great for painting. They are small enough to handle easily and have a cap to cover any paint left if you have to stop painting for awhile.
By Audrey
Storing Food 08/10/2005
I have cut a large hole in the top, covered the inside and outside of the hole with strong clear tape (like packaging tape). This way I know what is inside and then they are used to contain large amounts of pasta, raisins, different kinds of flour (like soy). I would like to try to use them for container gardening but haven't done this yet.
By KESB56
Cover With Contact Paper 08/20/2005
Before I use them as canisters I cover them with pretty contact paper that goes with the lid. I use a black marker to mark what's in them. Simply write on the side or the top of the can.
I put bird seed in them, tea bags, coffee stored in the fridge and I use them under the sink for compost. Then empty weekly into my compost pile outside. They are great for paint. Pour what you need in it and you can put the lid on when you're finished for the day.
By Natalie17
Covering Labels 12/23/2005
If you want to cover the labels on plastic coffee cans, cut out pieces of craft foam the same size as the label area. The kind that is about 1/8 inch thick and comes in lots of colors. There are even letters and symbols available at craft stores. Just glue it on and you're done.
By Ed
Salt Barrels 01/02/2006
I use my extra cans in my driveway salt barrels. They seem to withstand the extreme cold temperatures without becoming brittle and breaking and, the molded handles help when using gloves. I'd like to see more suggestions along the lines of school use - if anyone has any ideas.
By Ed in WV.

Reusing Plastic Coffee Cans, A plastic red container of ground coffee.
Reusing Plastic Coffee Cans
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Spray Deodorant Cans
Recycling Spray Deodorant Cans
Coffee Can as Pencil Holder
Recycled Coffee Can Crafts
🎉
🎄