Recycling Poinsettias

A lot of poinsettias are discarded in January - so it's time for you to rescue them for your garden or even inside. They have nice greenery and, if conditions are right, they do well outside too. They originally were from Mexico, so don't fare too well in really cold weather outside. We have a plant that was from Christmas years ago and it's now showing those lovely red leaves! Just think - free plants!

I recycled quite a few pink poinsettias from the church after Christmas; took some for myself, gave a nice one to a neighbor and others to a friend who always wants stuff for the garden. If nothing else, the pots and the potting soil can be put to good use!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

Answers:

Grow Your Poinsettia After The Holidays

I always think it's sad that people just throw away poinsettias, so this is a great tip!

I also wanted to add that I stopped into the local Extension office one day, and they had a BEAUTIFUL huge plant on the counter. They told me it was a poinsettia, and they give it COFFEE every day. They just pour in the leftover coffee from the pot, and the poinsettia loves it. (01/11/2007)

By zballoongirl

Grow Your Poinsettia After The Holidays

I've tried to keep mine but maybe I gave up too early. I'm from Wisconsin so I'd keep mine indoors all year. Any suggestions for me? Should I try to put it in a pot outside during the summer? I've read you should keep it in a dark area for a few months. Is that still the norm? (01/12/2007)

By mikki

Recycling Poinsettias
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Foam Cone Poinsettia Tree
Making a Foam Cone Poinsettia Tree
Poinsettias
Selecting and Caring for Poinsettias
dyed pastel poinsettias with glitter
Making Glittered Poinsettias
🎉
🎄