Recycling Sweatshirts: Making a Quilt?

I have many sweatshirts that are in good condition that I would like to recycle. I have made a quilt from t-shirts but thought the sweatshirts would be too heavy. Has anyone made a quilt from sweatshirts?

Connie from ND

Answers:

Recycling Sweatshirts: Making a Quilt?

I have not made a quilt. I think it would be worth trying. I have made mittens out of an old sweatshirt. That was easy and they are comfy. I also made a hand warmer for my ice scraper. You just cut rectangles that are the same size and big enough to put your hand in. Leave one side open for your hand and then leave a little hole open for the icescraper handle to fit through. (04/21/2004)

By Janet

Recycling Sweatshirts: Making a Quilt?

I have recycled old sweats by patchworking them into curtain liners. My power bills have reduced significantly.

Also you could use them patched together as throws over furniture when you have younger children. That is to be our next project - as soon as we have enough old sweats to use!
(06/15/2004)

By Anne

Recycling Sweatshirts: Making a Quilt?

I make comforters out of sweatshirts. Take an old sheet, cut into large rectangles (makes the comforter easier to handle). Then I cut sweatshirts up into randomly sized pieces. I sew the pieces onto the sheet rectangles in a crazy quilt pattern with a zigzag stitch. I don't turn under raw edges as the stitching keeps them from raveling, sew over edges two or three times. When all rectangles are covered, stitch together. Back this with another piece of fabric and either quilt on your sewing machine or hand tie together. If you want you can use batting or other filler between top and bottom layers. This is a fairly heavy quilt. (10/25/2004)

By Barbara

Recycling Sweatshirts: Making a Quilt?

I make quilts from sweatshirts by cutting large (about 12 inches) octagons from the shirts, using the design for the top of the quilt. I think cut another octagon from the back of the shirt of another piece of solid color sweat. Place these right side together and stitch around outside, leaving a small opening to turn right side out. When you have enough for a quilt, begin putting the short straight sides together and zigzag together with machine, kinda like putting together a really easy puzzle. No need to close the opening left for turning, the zigzag stitch will take care of that. You can leave the edges "scalloped" or fill in with half octagons. Using only two layers of material makes an nice mid-weight quilt. (02/27/2005)

By Kathryn

Four old sweatshirts hanging on a wall
Making a Quilt From Old Sweatshirts
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
🎄