Reduce Overflowing in Fruit Pies

Cut drinking straws into short lengths and insert into pie slits to let steam and juices to escape and reduce overflow. To make a more decorative fruit pie cut holes in the upper crust, use a thimble to cut the wholes and then replace the little circles into place.

By Linda from Oceanside, CA

Reduce Overflowing in Fruit Pies

I hope you don't use plastic. The plastic melts and then you don't want to eat that. (12/10/2005)

By sandy

Reduce Overflowing in Fruit Pies

Good idea! I too used to use plastic drinking straws but then became concerned that maybe the "plastic" stuck in my piecrust might not be a good idea. Now I use pasta (macaroni or whatever is at hand) It works on the same principle, bubbling up into the pasta instead of over the sides of the pie. (12/10/2005)

By Enter Mairmie

Baking Fruit Pies
Baking Fruit Pies
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
cherry cobbler
Fruit Cobbler Recipes
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
Freezing Pumplin Pies
Freezing Pumpkin Pies