AdviceHome Improvement

Reducing Noise from Children's Room in an Apartment

I am moving to an apartment (renting). Having 2 young boys and a baby I am worried about the noise they'll make for the downstairs neighbour. How can I insulate their room for noise? I don't want to be a bad neighbour and at the same time I don't want to prohibit my kids from playing. Can anyone help please?

By hebah

There isn't a lot that can be done, other than carpeting the floors and I imagine that is already done. I have lived in ground floor apartments since 1984, and I don't mind the noise that kids make, near as much as the partys, and extremely loud music that young adults make. Music wouldn't even be so bad, but it is "thump, thump, thump."

One apartment that I lived in there was a couple with four kids that ranged in age from baby to about 17 years, and I never heard anything from them, in the way of noise, not even running water or garbage disposal, or anything. A lot depends on how a building is constructed. One thing you can do is make sure your kids don't have a lot of noise-making toys.

First and foremost is making a visit to the downstairs neighbour to make sure they know you are aware of their rights to peace and quiet, and to say something along the lines of 'Let me know right away if the children make too much noise whilst playing, and I'll look into it immediately'-then make sure you let management know you've done so.

Don't be a doormat for a grouchy neighbour, but often letting the neighbours know you are aware that children can sometimes be annoying goes a long ways towards keeping the peace. Making sure management knows you understand that and have already made contact with the neighbours is sort of a preemptive strike against a trouble making neighbour who just wants to complain for no reasonable reason. Management will know you are committed to good neighbour policies, and complaints from neighbours will usually be met with the question 'Have you spoken with the parents?'

Then, keeping the youngsters from shouting/screaming/loud temper tantrums, and/or using the beds and furniture to play trampoline or launch pad is your best bet for peaceful neighbour relations:)

Also important is to keep them from playing ball, tag, marching band or soldiers in the house.

Oh, and bicycle riding is also an outdoor activity no matter how small the bike. LOL, our current neighbours have two really wonderful little girls but they did go through a spate of bike riding in the house, and it wasn't very pleasant to endure. My husband and I live in a semi-detached (aka duplex in the US), and while we understand children need to let off steam and energy sometimes, we are very glad our little nieghbour's mum and dad are considerate, polite parents who nip things in the bud before we have ever had to say anything.

It's a very big no-no to permit your child/children to be loud, throw or bounce balls, jump, run, or walk heavily indoors when you have common wall/floor neighbours.

Make sure to use up their boisterous energies by getting them out to a park or indoor play area where they can run, jump, march, etc. No child should be constantly without the opportunity to do those things, and your children will be a lot better about understanding the home is for indoor voices and behaviour if they know they will have the regular chance to play energetically in a place where energetic play is welcome.

Most family apartment complexes have play areas for the children-make sure yours are supervised and well behaved, and play ONLY in those areas.

Thank you very much, I'll try to pass by her when we move. Sadly there is no play area there, so I'll just have to find other entertainment for them. I am also thinking of putting carpet with a thick layer underneath to diminish the sound.

Thank you again for your help and sharing of your experience.