Reducing Sugar in a Baking Recipe

When reducing sugar in a baking recipe, does anyone know how much sugar can safely be reduced before it ruins the recipe - 50%-75%?

Nicky from Canada

Answers:

Reducing Sugar in a Baking Recipe

In my family, we always use only half the sugar called for in the recipe. I'ts not as sweet, but you get used to the taste. (02/13/2006)

By Carol

Reducing Sugar in a Baking Recipe

It depends on the recipe. Sometimes the amount of sugar is important. (02/13/2006)

By mkymlp

Reducing Sugar in a Baking Recipe

I have read that one can reduce sugar in any recipe by 1/2 cup without spoiling the taste. (02/13/2006)

By SYLVIA

Reducing Sugar in a Baking Recipe

I normally reduce the amount of sugar by 25%. Haven't had a problem. If the recipe calls for something like
2 Tablespoons of sugar and it's a diabetic muffin recipe, then I wouldn't change the sugar quantity because it's already been reduced substantially. (02/15/2006)

By cookwie

Reducing Sugar in a Baking Recipe

The texture of some recipes is dependent upon the sugar in the recipe. Lemon Bars is one that I had a disaster with. It definitely needed the sugar. But if it not important for texture...and I guess only trial and error like my lemon bars is the only way to be sure. Otherwise, I replace the sugar with Splenda rather than reduce the amount. You can replace the sugar with a like amount of Splenda to replace half a cup of sugar, use half a cup of Splenda. If you think you might need the sugar for texture, only replace half of the total amount. In other words, if it calls for a cup, put half a cup of sugar and half a cup of Splenda. But, I repeat, my way is strictly trial and error. By the way, Yeast breads need that couple spoons of sugar so the yeast will "grow".

(02/15/2006)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Reducing Sugar Consumption
Reducing Sugar Consumption
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
Gift bag made out of a sugar bag craft
Craft Uses for Sugar Bags
🎄
🍂