Reducing Your Dog's Shedding

A dog's brush next to a pile of dog hair.
Shedding is a normal part of your pet's annual seasonal cycle. It can also be the result of other factors related to grooming, nutrition, pests, and health issues. This is a guide about reducing your dog's shedding.

To minimize my Welsh Corgi's shedding problem, I cook up chicken livers once a week and give her a couple pieces mixed in with her dog food. The liver makes her coat soft and shiny and she hardly sheds at all. It's a miracle!

By jewerlydiva from Rittman, OH

If you have dog fur problems, buy sticky rollers and roll it on the dog. It does not hurt them, and it cuts down on vaccuming up fur.

Picking Up Dog Fur

By Lynda from Warrenton, MO

My short haired dog likes being "petted" with a lint roller. Since she likes to sleep in the middle of my bed, I wear less of her hair.

I have a Jack Russell Terrier that really sheds, and all I know to do is suck it up with my vaccuum daily, and it's still full by morning. Keeping a sweater on her helps, but won't be good for the summer. If you know of any good solutions please let me know.

Sandy in Kansas

My pug sheds so badly that during her shedding seasons it's like a parting of the seas on my floor. We started using Linatone (about $18 at pet stores for a big bottle), and it helps dramatically (it's a vitamin and fatty oil mixture, and the dog begs for it). We put about 2T on her food at dinner. The other thing that helps is when we bathe her, we mix a little conditioner into the shampoo.

Linatone works great but it is pricey. Wal-Mart carries something equivalent to this and it is under $4.00 for an 8 oz. bottle. I have used it for years when I was a dog owner. It's advertised as a coat and skin supplement for dogs. It's found in the pet department -- dog section. It has been well over a year since I purchased it.

What is the name of the one from Wall-Mart? I am getting ready to start my dogs on something & I was going to buy EFA's but they're so expensive & I have 3 dogs. Thanks.

It sounds like you should take the dog to the Vet.

Jennifer

My pug was shedding profusely........I started giving her a teaspoon of ground flax seed daily.....the results are amazing! I just put it in the bowl and she laps it up.

Hi! I have a Jack also and she has a broken coat (a mix between short and wire hair) and sheds really bad so I just run some hair clippers over her and then give her a bath. I hope this helps. Katie

What can I give my dog so he won't shed so much? Is there a supplement, mineral, herbs, or anything that will help? Thanks for your help.

By Judy from Dunbar, PA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Daily brushing will help at least some, no matter why he sheds so much. Supplementing his diet will only help if the excessive shedding is due to a nutritional deficiency. Otherwise, it's pointless. Honestly, I'd suggest giving your vet a call. Either the vet or one of the techs will almost certainly be happy to answer your question over the phone - this isn't the sort of thing that should require a visit, although they'll probably ask you questions to rule out the necessity.

How do I stop dog shedding?

Rachel from Des Moines, IA

you can't stop a dog from shedding. All you can do is clean up the hair. Some dogs don't shed, if yours does, theres no way to "stop" it.

it is normal for dogs to shed different seasons, daily brushing will help

I had the same problem with my dog. I got

Shed Solution that was sold at the Big R. It is

recommended by veterinarians. My dog gets it

every day and hardly any hair loss any more.

A dog has to shed or the hair becomes too heavy and they can get skin infections. Daily brushing is a must for cats and dogs. The only other thing you can do is get a dog that doesn't shed, such as a poodle.

Anonymous

Many breeds of dogs naturally shed and there isn't any way to stop it. Dogs have to shed the old hair to grow new hair, just like people.

You can, however, control it to a point by daily brushing. I have three dogs and two of them shed horribly. I could 'build' a new dog from the hair the other dogs leave behind!!

I brush my dogs and pull out the vacuum cleaner and suck up all the clumps.

Dr. Watson is 5, he's been shedding for about 2 years. I brush and brush and always get tons of hair, it never stops. He eats turkey necks, chicken gizzards, and I put a small amount of coconut oil on his Science Diet dog food. I feed him twice a day, about 3/4 cup at a time. He is a little over weight, but at least I know what he is eating. The vet said these dogs shed normally, I'm not buying this.

By Rita

Answers

What breed is he?

Anonymous

Cut out the science diet immediately and the shedding will reduce tremendously science diet contains a lot of fillers that most dogs are atleast slightly alergic too it causes there skin to dry out and they lose much more hair then they are suposed to I swapped my GSD to blue buffalo but there are many options out there just do some good research on whatever food you decide on

Hallo, I have the same problem with my puppy , I was wondering what food would you recommend that works best?

Thank you in advance.

Anonymous

canidae limited ingrediant or nutro dog food help reduce shedding

We have a very lovable Feist, but what we don't love is she sheds! We have doggy hair on everything! I have to vacuum the furniture everyday at least once a day. Does anyone out there have a solution to our baby's shedding problem?

Christy from Fulton, MS

Get one of those shedding brushes from the pet store, the ones that clean the shedding fur out, I think it's called the Furminator, or something along those lines. I had a Siamese with a double coat that would be everywhere, we got her a wire brush (no bristles at the end) got out a TON of hair. Good luck!

ITA with the other post, get a FURminator! I FURminate Mysteria on a old throw blankie & when I'm done I use the FURminator on the old blankie. It not only gets the hair, but those little blankie rats/knots what ever one calls them. Sly

I have a dog that sheds like dandelions gone to seed. He has been staying with a cousin since we moved since weren't allowed to have him. I have got to find a good product to control his shedding, or he'll wind up in the pound. Budget is a very big factor, so I'm tempted to go low and try the brewers yeast, but would love some input from others who have dealt with this. Are the more expensive "shed stopper" supplements worth the extra cost? Can the brewers yeast compare?

Cyd from Rochester, NY

Answers:

Reducing Shedding With Your Dog

Go to Pet-Co and get a bag of Natures Blend for dogs. This is a dry dog food. They also have it for cats. This will really cut down on the shedding of either animal. Goodluck! (12/29/2005)

By Carol

Reducing Shedding With Your Dog

I use fish oil capsules in my dogs food and believe me with six dogs I have lots of hair floating around. But, since using the fish oil it has been cut way down. I give my Pomeranian 1 cap. My big guys and gals I give up to 4 depending on size. If they start having loose bm's I cut back on the capsules and go from there. But, this has helped me a lot. (12/29/2005)

By Megan's mom

Reducing Shedding With Your Dog

I own a Collie and a Golden Retriever mix and I have worked as a dog groomer so if there's one thing I know about it's dog hair! The most important thing you can do is to make sure your dog is eating good food. Grocery store dog food is really not the best for your dog. You can discuss with your vet what he or she thinks would be best for your dog. Next, invest in a good slicker brush and a good comb. USE THEM EVERY DAY! There is a product that you can get from many vets called "Lo-Shed" but it's my own personal opinion that it doesn't work any better than doing the above two things I mentioned. Good food and brushing are the best! Let's face it; most dogs and cats shed! One other important thing to remember is to make sure your dog is well brushed before you bathe him/her because if there are mats in the fur before the bath, wetting them down will only make them tighter and harder to get out! If worst comes to worst, you might consider shaving the dog down. We had a Lhasa Apso that we kept shaved in a cute cut all the time. (12/29/2005)

By Robin

Reducing Shedding With Your Dog

You don't mention if the dog has always shed so much but please remember that most animals will shed significantly more when they are under stress, such as the move & relocation to the cousins' home. Maybe it will lessen as the dog acclimates to the new environment to a more normal amount of shedding. If this is not the case, try the readers' tips. Good Luck! (12/30/2005)

By kidsNclutter

Reducing Shedding With Your Dog

I agree with everyone else. I want to add that if the person who has the dog doesn't care enough to keep him you should find a home where he will be properly cared for & loved. Or find a rescue group who will take him. If he is taken to a "pound" he will be killed after a few days at most. None of this is his fault & he shouldn't pay for it. (12/30/2005)

By Vic

Reducing Shedding With Your Dog

During warm weather you can have the dog clipped short and that should control the shedding. If its a small indoor dog you could have it clipped short and then put on a sweater until you can find the cause and a good solution. I regularly have my dogs clipped during warm months (which in Calif is most of the year). Note however, that I do not recommend leaving the sweater on 24/7 - I take my dogs sweaters off at least 12 hrs a day - so this doesn't work for outside dogs in cold weather. Good luck - its hard having someone else caring for the dog. (01/02/2006)

By Karen Howell

Reducing Shedding With Your Dog

Brewers Yeast isn't going to reduce shedding. There really isn't anything out there that will help. Dogs shed. You can try and go to www.shedender.com it is a comb you buy to brush the dog with. It gets to the under coat. You would have to brush a dog everyday. I have an Akita and she sheds a lot. I brush her a lot as well to reduce the shedding.
(01/08/2006)

By Rebecca

Reducing Shedding With Your Dog

Ground flax seed works very well! Also, clipping a dog that isn't meant to be clipped is a bad idea. It ruins them. They are never able to stand there hair growth again. You will need to always keep it clipped! (01/25/2006)

By Billie

Reducing Shedding With Your Dog

Make sure the dog is getting a premium dog food. Also, my dog was shedding excessively and it turned out that she has a thyroid condition that is easily controlled by medication. (09/29/2006)

By Laurie

"Tis the season to be shedding." My dog has a very thick coat, very short hair. I can't get a brush nor a comb through to the skin. We bathe him 1/week, but he is now shedding hair and 'dandruff'.

I tried brushing his fur backwards with my hand (pressing hard), and loosened a lot of debris, but it's not enough. Suggestions?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers:

Reducing Shedding With Your Dog

I am not sure about the shedding; but bathing once a week is probably way too much. You are probably drying his skin out causing the flaking.

We have a lab/shepherd mix who really sheds. One thing that does help us at least control where the hair is going is using a mitt that we found that has a rubbery palm with little nubs. It pulls off loose hair with a good vigorous rub, much faster than brushing.

I'd rather she didn't shed so much; but she is such a good dog, the dog hair is worth it! (03/06/2008)

By Jilson

Reducing Shedding With Your Dog

Robin - You mentioned a slicker brush. What is it?

Thanks,
Holly (03/07/2008)

By cookwie

Reducing Shedding With Your Dog

A slicker brush has lots of flexible wire bristles, and it combs out a lot of loose underhair. Looks like old fashioned wool cards.

My local groomer is running shave-down specials now, you might find it cheap and quick to get a fresh start. It isn't so close that your dog will be pink naked, but rather have like 1/4" hair. I used to shave down my Great Pyrenees every spring and it made her come alive like a puppy again. God bless you, Kim
(03/07/2008)

By kimhis

Reducing Shedding With Your Dog

Even if his coat is thick, you should at least be able to get a comb through. Can you see the skin? I'm wondering if he is matted?

If he's got dry skin, you're probably bathing him too frequently (especially during the winter) Are you using a gentle, puppy shampoo and a conditioner?

Try a shedding blade (don't go backwards though)

Give your dog Omega 3 and 6 supplements (fish oil and flaxseed oil)

Feed your dog a premium dog food (sold at pet stores, not at grocery stores or WalMart)

If the problem persists more than a week, I'd recommend you schedule an appointment with the vet. There could be another underlying factor causing the dry skin and shedding. (03/19/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

Reducing Shedding With Your Dog

Bought a Zoom Groom. $7.99 at Petco. It worked wonders getting the loose fur out from the coat. His last bath took care of the dry skin, so I can't vouch for the Zoom's effectiveness in that category. The problem has been getting through that thick short fur coat (it's not matted). We've been giving him fish oil capsules, so that might have made it extra thick. He's not shedding excessively - it's just that this is the season to start shedding and I wanted to find out how to take care of him. (03/19/2008)

By cookwie