Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

I have 1980's oak cabinets in my house. I'd like to update them a bit and was wondering if anyone has stripped and stained their oak cabinets? My hubby says that oak is so hard that it won't take stain very well. Ours are a medium brown finish and I would like to make them a deeper color. I'd really rather stain them than paint them.

I looked at a product called "Minwax Water Based Wood Sheen" and wondered if that might work. Has anyone used it and if so, what is your opinion? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

By Leinie from VA

Answers:

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

My husband refinished our oak cabinets in a previous house. They turned out so well everyone thought we had bought new cabinets. He removed all the doors and sanded everything down to the bare wood then refinished with a new stain. Previously the cabinets appeared reddish, but with the sanding and new stain we had a nice golden oak patina. If you like darker wood then a Provincial (Minwax) stain may work. It is work, but if the labor is free you get a wonderful new look. (01/22/2010)

By Anonymous

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

I say give it a try, but try it on one area first to see how it's going, perhaps the back of a door, although that might not be the best part of the wood to stain. Just give yourself lots of time and be patient. If it doesn't seem to be taking stain, you could always paint. Different look, but still better.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/painting-kitchen-cabinets.shtml (01/22/2010)

By Allison5

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

I had oak cabinets that looked rather dated. I decided to paint them a creamy white and replaced the hardware. I took my time with the project (removing all the doors and hinges, sanding and priming) and it turned out fabulous. I now want to add granite counters. (01/22/2010)

By RealtorRose

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

I did ours last year. They were about 20 years old, and now look like new. (01/23/2010)

By mb73

Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets

There is no such thing as oak being too hard to stain. I don't know where your husband got that idea. They were stained in the first place weren't they? Refinish them as you would any piece of wood. Strip, sand, and stain. (01/26/2010)

By Ann

Refinished Kitchen Cabinets
Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets
Man paining cabinets white
Refinishing Laminate Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
🎄