Refrigerator Not Cold and Freezer Not Freezing

I need your advice fast. I have a Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator-freezer in my kitchen; it's maybe five years old. The top part of the freezer is cold, but does not freeze. The bottom part of the freezer freezes. The refrigerator is not very cold at all, so I've started storing milk, etc. in the top part of the freezer. Anyone know how to fix all this? I can't afford to buy a new fridge. Thanks so much for the advice.

By AnnahFM from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Refrigerator Not Cold and Freezer not Freezing

My suspicion is that the coils are clogged up with household-dust debris. Unplug the ref/freezer and slide the unit out from the wall. Remove the back impregnated covering of the compressor, fan, etc. (generally about 4-8 screws), and vacuum as much of the debris as you can. Now take an air compressor and blow the remaining bits out into the floor area. Yes, there will be a mess to vacuum up later, but your refrigerator/freezer should return to normal cooling capacities. If you live in an area that is subject to unusual dust accumulation, or you like to have the windows open all the time this should be done at least every 2-3 years. (10/24/2009)

By Cajun62234

Something happened like this to us when we rented a condo during the summer. The refrigerator was not cold and the freezer seemed to work. We called the owners of the condo and they sent a repair man out. It needed a new thermostat. The refrigerator was also a Sears Kenmore and not that old. It's worth fixing rather than buying a new one. (10/26/2009)

By SueBee

Perhaps it just needs some coolant put into it. Call an appliance repair man to come look at it. Spending less then $50 sounds better to me then food poisoning from food that isn't stored at the right temperature. (10/27/2009)

By Paula Jo

Had the same problem with my half and half fridge/freezer. Apparently the repair guy said that all I needed was to clean all the dust and gunk from behind the fridge/freezer and he topped the compressor up with more gas, or whatever it is they put in the compressor, and now its working like a dream. The cost was negligible, too. I would call in a reputable repair guy and ask for an estimate. (11/02/2009)

By cett

Kenmore Refrigerator
Kenmore Refrigerator Not Cooling
Refrigerator
Refrigerator is Not Staying Cold
Turnips with greens.
Freezing Turnips or Parsnips
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
Refrigerator Door
Testing a Refrigerator Seal
🎉
🎄