Refrigerator is Not Staying Cold

Category Refrigerator
Refrigerator
If your refrigerator is not staying cold, it is time for some troubleshooting to determine the cause. It may be something you can fix yourself. This is a guide about refrigerator is not staying cold.

My double door suddenly stopped cooling in the fridge area only. I was told by an electrician that the motor is giving in and it cannot cool the top part anymore. Soon the whole motor must be replaced.

Is this true?

From your description, it appears that the electrician is correct. If you disagree with the electrician's opinion, you can call another electrician in for second opinion. You can also contact the fridge manufacturer's website customer service for their help.

Our double sided did the same thing. We unplugged it for several hours and then plugged it back in and have not had a problem since. Another time - with the bottom freezer - it was leaking in the freezer area and out the door. We had it too stuffed with goods - after removing quite a bit - we've never had that problem again either. GOOD LUCK!

Where do you get the gas from and how do you put it in.

Can you get the gas at Lowe's or home depot

Our Refrigerator seems to be not working well. At night, the temp is around 4C. But during day time, it is hovering around 10C to 12C. What could be the problem? It is 15 years old. Is it worth it to fix it or should I go for a new one?

Mr. Siva

Can you get to the coils to dust them? You may have a buildup of dust on them. Check inside. Do you have an ice buildup anywhere? Are your seals flexible and tight? Is there any thing stuck on the seals or on the places the seals touch?

Can you get to the fan? It may be dusty, too.

Check your plug and make sure it is making good contact with the receptacle. When your seals are nice and clean, put a thin coating of petroleum jelly on them to help seal better.

If your fridge is 15 years old, you may be paying more in electricity than you would on a new one. These are a few ideas from Aunt Sharon from Texas.

Pull out the frig and vacuum out the coil in the back.

Make sure the frig is shut off.

Use a brush in and around the coils first and then vacuum.

Hope this helps.

I have an older top freezer refrigerator (23years) that does not get cold and food is spoiling. The freezer is keeping food frozen. Does anyone know what I can check for the problem?

Thanks.

By Joan

May or May not be your problem but we had too much in our freezer. When we removed some items and redistributed others it solved the problem. Restricted airflow, I guess. Good luck.

I also have an old fridge/freezer. occasionally either one or the other doesn't work properly(they each have their own compressor at the back). the repair guy comes in and just refills the compressor with gas and it works perfectly. I think its the same gas used in a/c units. he only charges a few dollars but I wouldn't know how much they would charge in your country since I live in Europe.

I have a question on refrigerator temp settings. I have a top freezer fridge in my garage. The freezer side works perfectly, but sometimes, the fridge side does not. Since it doesn't have a temp display, I have placed manual temp gauges inside, one in the freezer and one in the fridge section. Anyway, my understanding is that the fridge side needs to be no more than 37 degrees to keep cooling. The dials controlling the temp are set to 5 (0-9) where 5 is the 'normal' setting.

My question is if I want to drop the temp on the fridge side, is a higher number (6-9) colder or the lower (1-4). Please note it's sitting in a garage. If I leave it closed overnight, the temp remains around that 37 degrees. If I open it a few times, it gets into the warm range (40+). I am just looking for a little advice here. Thanks.

My guess is that 0 means "off", but give it a try. Turn it up to 7 or so, and see if the fridge gets colder. If not, turn it the other way.

My refrigerator gets cold on the bottom, but not on top.

By Dave E.

If this is a very old fridge, than likely it is better to get a new one, as they use much less energy now than before. However, if it is relatively new, you should call a repairperson. Fridges are not things that can be repaired by home handypersons (or unhandypersons, as the case might be.) One thing to try that anyone can do, is to pull it out and thoroughly clean the back and underneath. It may help; but even if it does not, at least the repair person will not be greeted by years of dust and filth. (Of course, you may do this on a regular basis, in which case - kudos to you! )

I have got a double door fridge. The bottom part is cold and the top part is not cold. The fridge is 10 years old. Please give me the correct settings or help.

By Charles

My refrigerator is not making ice and the temperature alarm is going off.

By Carrie

My KIC refrigerator, double top and bottom door with bottom freezer isn't cooling. The motor is running, but it doesn't get cool or even freezing. When the motor is running it produces a loud sound as well. What should I do?

By Phill from Pretoria, South Africa

My fridge and freezer worked fine until a few days ago when I cleaned out my fridge. Then my freezer quit working, but fridge worked. So I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the freezer started working, but now the fridge is not cooling. Any ideas?

By L.D.

My KitchenAid side by side refrigerator is not working. There is no red light on the sensor.

By jimmy the jerk from Sanford, NC