FlooringHome Improvement

Refurbishing Vinyl Tile Kitchen Floor

My kitchen floor is vinyl tiles. I can't afford a new floor right now. Any suggestions for covering? Or refurbishing?

By mtm

Try going to the "This Old House" website and see if they have any suggestions on revitalizing an old vinyl floor. Maybe it could be painted. But if it's vintage, it might be best to preserve it in some way and simply do a cover-up for now... You could paint DIY. Use a long handle on your roller. You may have to use a primer first coat on vinyl. Porch & Floor paint is designed for floors.

I have vinyl flooring which has chunks out of it here and there. I plan to remove mine and just paint the floor. I plan to paint it to look like rocks. However, this costs money also. But I did think about cutting out sections of it in damaged areas and just adding in new agreeable looking inexpensive stick-on tiles (yours would be easy since you have stick-on anyway, mine is "sheet") (a patchwork look). Just until I could afford to re-do the whole thing. The other poster mentioned painting, but as far as I know, painting floors with floor paint is meant for painting concrete, not vinyl. Not saying it isn't possible to paint vinyl, but I doubt if it would be stay on well for very long as floors obviously have a lot of wear and tear on them.

Paint! I "fixed" mine almost 20 years ago and it still looks awesome and recently had more compliments on it. My daughter even suggested I should offer to do others as a business. I have a smaller galley style kitchen so the area gets a lot of wear, too. What I did was strip off all old wax and rinse well, dried thoroughly and then painted with a high gloss deck enamel in blue (my kitchen is all white with blue accents) then after it had dried well I did a white spatter pattern on it. Not too heavy a pattern. As the years have gone by I have used the kind of "mopping" wax on it to keep the gloss up. Could not have been more pleased with the results!

If you patch some areas just be sure they are glued down well, you don't want them lifting later.