Relieving Itching for Dogs

My chihuahua is constantly itching. The Vet put her on a type of steroid and said she couldn't be on it too long. Does anyone have a suggestion on helping her stop the itching? Thanks.

Terry from New York

Answers:

Relieving Itching for Dogs

My vet suggested benadryl. It works great for my dog. (09/10/2008)

By lfsm1963

Relieving Itching for Dogs

http://www.nextag.com/fish-antibiotic/products-html
Try "fish flex". It is the same as a dog antibiotic that begins with a c (I forgot the name). It works for itching in dogs. It is great and you will see a difference in two days. Don't give up, give it a few more days if he doesn't stop itching in a couple days. It is a miracle drug. It worked on my chihuahua and my friend's yorkie. (09/10/2008)

By Terry

Relieving Itching for Dogs

Sounds like a food or contact allergy. Assuming he doesn't have fleas, try changing his food. Beef, corn, and wheat are common allergens. Try a chicken and rice or lamb and rice food. Buy the smallest bag possible, and feed for at least a week and see if that helps. Petco will allow you to return anything, even opened food, if necessary, if you keep the receipt. (09/11/2008)

By Linda

Relieving Itching for Dogs

There is an ointment I got from www.Petco.com.
It's called, Hydro cortisone Spray for Dogs & Cats. Find out what is making your baby itch if you can.
Dorie (09/11/2008)

By Dorie

Relieving Itching for Dogs

Benadryl is a good thing to try, it is an antihistamine and can also be taken by mouth for such things as the itching from poison oak and chicken pox. It can make the dog sleepy. Bitter apple spray makes the itchy spot taste terrible to the dog, but it won't stop the itching. (09/11/2008)

By rae

Relieving Itching for Dogs

My friend used Skin So Soft Oil on her Pomeranian and said it relieved the itching. (09/11/2008)

By Valley Gal

Relieving Itching for Dogs

My friend had an itchy lassie and she spent tons of money on prescription meds, over the counter meds, and "miracle cures". I finally got fed up as she would not try my idea. I went over for a visit and had a tub sock filled with regular uncooked oatmeal. First, I rinsed her and gently washed the dog with baby shampoo then rinsed her again. We put her kiddie pool on the patio table under shade, while we took turns rubbing her softly with the oatmeal tube sock. It really helped. (09/12/2008)

By meoowmom

Relieving Itching for Dogs

Tea tree oil on the itchy spots helped clear up my little Maltese's sore spots and then he quit itching. I also found out he had a food allergy. I started feeding him Eukenuba Sensitive Skin Dog Food and he quit having problems.

http://www.savingspotpourri.blogspot.com/ (09/19/2008)

By Savings Assistant

Relieving Itching for Dogs

Petco has an all natural spray for hot spots and itching. I had a rottweiler that I had used it on and it worked well. (09/20/2008)

By darlooney

Relieving Itching for Dogs

If it is a contact allergy, is your dog exposed to wool?
Woolen blanket, carpet, etc.? Here is my collection of internet Hot Spot suggestions. I can't tell you the sources, nor how trustworthy they are, but I am sure you'll get a few ideas:

A common question is how to handle hot spots and pests on pets. The best control comes from feeding animals a diet that does not contain synthetic toxic preservatives. The best commercial dog and cat food is Muenster Natural. It is the only line of pet foods and horse feeds I know that contain natural diatomaceous earth and no chemical preservatives. Add natural diatomaceous earth to the food daily. Muenster Natural contains it already. A little apple cider vinegar in the drinking water can also help as well as The Missing Link supplement.

Comfrey tea can be used topically for dog skin allergies. Cook a mess of comfrey greens, dilute the cool pot liquor down to a light iced tea color and pour or dab onto the hot spots or into the dog's fur. Comfrey is very powerful, so don't use more than once a month and only when needed.

Cornmeal juice is also good and can be used more often. Put a cup of whole ground cornmeal in a 5 gallon bucket of water, let it sit in the sun a couple of hours, strain out the solids and apply to the skin liberally.

Bathing the dogs in herbal shampoos that contain orange oil (d-limonene) and tea tree (melaleuca) will also help. Dry cornmeal, horticultural or whole ground cornmeal, dusted onto problem skin areas is also helpful, if the skin problems are fungal. Listerine and baby oil sprayed and massaged thoroughly into the skin on the itchy spot, as soon as it starts, also helps. (10/24/2008)

By cookwie

A dog itching in the grass.
Relieving Itching for Dogs
Skin Itch
Something in Apartment Is Making Skin Itch
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Relieving Sinus Pressure
Relieving Sinus Pressure
🎉
🎄