Relieving Itching for Dogs

My Jack Russell terrier seems to have allergies year round and a cortisone shot every few weeks relieves her itching. But this fall, nothing helps. She is a 7 year old female, mostly indoors. No fleas or ticks; she just scratches all the time. I have tried baths, cortisone cream, raw food, antihistamines. Any ideas?

G. from Oklahoma City

Answers:

Relieving Itching for Dogs

My dog had the same problem. He is now taking an omega-3 supplement. It is for skin and coat, and treats inflammation due to allergies. Since he started on it, he scratches much less. The one I got was from www.healthypetnet.com, and other pet supply sites have it as well. (10/29/2008)

By leelev

Relieving Itching for Dogs

My dog had the same problem. I give her a Vitamin E, 200 mg every day. It took a couple of weeks to start to work, but she has not had any issues for the last 2 years since I started her on them. (10/30/2008)

By chris

Relieving Itching for Dogs

Ask your Vet before giving the dog Benadryl. I suggest that you might try a different dog food. My dog did well on one that had avocados in it. I can't recall the name right now. Buddy died 4 years ago. (10/30/2008)

By Har'iet

Relieving Itching for Dogs

Benadryl works. It relieves the itching from the inside out. (10/31/2008)

By castleberrycc

Relieving Itching for Dogs

My Vet says steroids are not good for dogs. They work in the short term, but may cause harm over the years. I use a tabletop humidifier, and also an old dutch oven (holds several quarts of water on the stove to be simmered or boiled on the stove, depending on the humidity), and I use a mild shampoo that includes a conditioner. I also give my dogs an Omega 3-6-9 soft gel that my Vet regulates. I cannot regulate it, as it is a dietary supplement. You must talk to your Vet about it. The Omega 3-6-9 can cause loose stool in some dogs, so the Vet must regulate it. My Best To You! (11/09/2008)

By Carol R.

A dog itching in the grass.
Relieving Itching for Dogs
Skin Itch
Something in Apartment Is Making Skin Itch
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Relieving Sinus Pressure
Relieving Sinus Pressure
🎄