Remedies For Lower Back Pain

Category Home Remedies
Young man holding his lower back.
When your back hurts, it can make you feel terrible and make it hard to move. This guide contains remedies for lower back pain.

I was out fishing and was using a couple of those cheap hand warmers that you shake up and an hour later, they warm up your hands. Mine came from Walmart and I got 4 for $2. When I got home, they were still warm. My back was aching and I put them inside my jeans and it was like having a heating pad there. It lasted into the evening.

As I have chronic back pain, I know this will get me though those meetings that go on for hours with at least some relief from the pain that usually occurs.

By Jeanette from Sacramento, CA

I woke up with a bad lower back pain. I had some rubs in the past but couldn't find them. As I was browsing through my medicine box, there stood out a memorable green jar. Great, if I had a stuffy nose, this would be good.

Mentholatum ointment. My mom used to use this on us, when we had a chest cold. I do not know what made me read the label, but the words topical analgesic caught my eye. Wow, this means pain relief! So I tried it. It WORKS. I may not smell that great, but my pain was relieved.

By Rita from Springfield, MO

If you have back pain try rubbing a big chunk of ice directly on the painful area. Rub it back and forth for a minute or two. It will numb the area and kill the pain.

By Karen from Dade City, FL

Since I pulled my lower back out a few years ago, I have trouble with it now and again. When my back is acting up, it's even impossible to relax in my "evening chair". The simple solution I discovered was to place a square of plywood under the cushion of the chair. What a difference it made!

Now, even when my back hurts, it's a pleasure to sit down. For even better results, slide a heating pad, on low, behind you. The combination of the firm seat and heat works wonders!

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

For those of you who have a bad back, think about buying an Inversion Table. Walmart.com sells several models for under $130. They come unassembled, but are easy to put together. The most important thing when using them is to go easy!

At first set the table for only a slight tilt and don't stay upside down very long. Also bring the table forward (to stand up) very slowly. With some back problems an inversion table can really make a big difference, and sometimes stop pain altogether.

By Cyinda from near Seattle

This is a guide about remedies for sciatic nerve pain. A pinched nerve in the lower back is responsible for sciatic nerve pain which can be felt all the way down to your feet.

Man holding lower back in pain

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have persistent and chronic Lumbar Spine pain. I put an extra chair lumbar support on my bed, then position my lower back on it. Putting a pillow on my abdomen/stomach, I position my computer and then do my work.

After 3 months of severe back pain I found the one thing that has removed nearly all of my pain, swimming. Find yourself a two week pass for your local gym. Try it to see if it will help you before you spend the money to join a gym.

My father has been suffering from sciatica for the last three months. A month ago he underwent a surgery and after surgery he is still feeling pain and numbness in his left leg. Any medications that the doctor has prescribed for him do not seem to have any positive effect. Can you please help find a solution to relieve sciatica pain?

Mohammad

Best Answer

I have been suffering from sciatic nerve pain and by the dictionary it involves the central nervous system weight, injury like slip and falls, alcohol, epson salt, and an extensive allergy to insecticides increased my pain. I am looking forward to several weekly visits to the chiropractor. I feel that if I lose weight and walk and ride my bike daily to rid myself of the associated stiffness then this may help and also help me to firm up my muscles and lose those unwanted pounds.

I know that I walked for several weeks and the pain lessened I did not even notice it anymore just short sprints of 5 to 6 short walks a day. And bike riding 4 to 6 times a week. The muscles need to be used and sedetary positions such as sitting and even sleeping aggravates my pain. Once I am up and on my feet I feel better. It is sort of a stiffness so I tried Arthritis Pain Reliever I figured the pain was like bursitis.

Good Luck and let the Holy Spirit bless u all. I really have no actual support everyone tells me they are in pain to and they just deal with it. Well my tolerance for this pain is just not there. I pray everyone's strength in the Lord and deliverance from this menacing disease. Blessings to all.

Best Answer

This is an exercise I do for pain in butt, down leg to ankle. If floor is too hard try laying on your bed, do this just before sleep so it rest through the night. Lie on your back raise right knee, press to chest gently but firm, then lower and do the other leg same way, then lower, now bring both knees up and press to the chest. Do each night till you get relief. Hope this helps it does me. Since 1997 when it flares up, which it does off and on.

Best Answer

I would have intense tightness in my lower back when playing tennis. It would fell like two rubber bands being wound up. I saw a foot doctor at a State Fair exhibit and he told me it was sciatic nerve pain and to put these orthopedics in my shoes. The pain instantly went away. I immediately got fitted for orthopedics and was pain free until my orthopedics started wearing out. I suggest to try this. It's much cheaper than surgery or physical therapy!

My doctor said that my disks in my back are too small. I've had this pain for like a week and nothing is helping me. Please let me know what can I do. Thank you.

By Eric

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I've been having back pain now for weeks and just recently did an online search for exercises to strengthen the back. I don't know how old you are but I found a site that has exercises I'm going to be doing. It's eldergym.com.

How are your vitamin D levels? I had excruciating back pain and thought it was just from over exertion but I had very low levels of vitamin D and also bone cancer, I'm sure your doctor has checked you out thoroughly, my case was because of undiagnosed breast cancer that metastasized into my bones. It can't hurt to have your vitamin D levels and also calcium levels too. God Bless, I hope you get relief soon.

Try a chiropractor your spine probably needs adjustment. He will also do treatments for your sore back and help you through exercises to strengthen your back muscles. I think your M.D. didn't really know what to do for you and pain pills isn't the answer. Good luck!

I have lower back pain from the work that I do. Is there anything to help?

Josh from Henderson, TN

I use two tablets of Doan's Extra Strength Medicine before I begin to do weedeating or any lengthy chore that causes my back to ache.

Your condition sounds like repetitive use that probably requires a doctor's care. A good back brace might be of some help to you or a hinderance depending on what the doctor says.

There are ice pack and heat treatments, but I wouldn't do any of these things until after seeing a doctor. Other things not mentioned or known could be the cause of your pain.

If you go to a chiropractor, they can give you exercises to do to increase the strength in your back. Usually if you strengthen your stomach muscles, your back improves. Try a chiro and see how you feel.

A 70% waveless waterbed is my only help. I've used it for 24 yrs & would never give it up.

Make sure you have good supportive shoes. Talk to a physical or occupational therapist for some advise.

First move -- see a chiropractor. If a reputable chiropractor can not help you, he will tell you to see the doctor, or an occupational therapist. There may be things you can do lessen the strain on your back on the job.

Buy the best lace up type shoes you can afford. Find one with good arches, etc. You will be surprised at how this effects your lower back and how much better you feel. Always wear good shoes. Dont go barefoot or wear bedroom slippers for extended periods of time.

Good luck

We used to live with someone who had an "Inverter"... It's this cool thing you lean against (while standing then have someone Velcro your ankles in, then you slowly turn yourself upside down... It was the BEST!... Really!... It's just like "traction"... Works wonders for back pain. But pricey... Maybe you could find one on Craig's List, used.

OR: as a second option. Last winter, I was picking up a case of water at the store & moved totally the wrong way & twisted my back out SOOO badly, I couldn't walk for days!... Well, I remembered that Inverter (I really wish we'd bought it from her!) Anyway, I have a double bed (I think they now call this size bed "Full") and I laid across the bed horizontally (sideways, because I have a footboard & couldn't face toward the bottom of the bed) with my feet across the bed toward the wall & my back facing the ceiling & the top of my head pointing towards the floor. I held on to the sheets with my hands (so I wouldn't fall off the bed)....then VERY SLOWLY....I'd let my upper torso slowly INCH toward the floor... *** The main Key is to RELAX the WHOLE TIME, as you are slowly moving your torso down toward the floor!!! Stop moving when your back stops hurting you'll know you're in the right position... or it will "hurt-so-good", (not hurt bad, kind of like a slight tug that feels much better than it did only minutes before) You'll know it when you find the right position! STAY TOTALLY RELAXED! & stay in that "good feeling" position for 5 or 10 minutes if you can (it's hard to stay upside down for very long)

*** IMPORTANT: When you decide to get up from being upside down, You'll have to slowly tighten your back muscles again so you can move: Do it SLOWLY & carefully!... And, if your a "Larger" type person, have someone there to help you get up from hanging upside down because if you're not careful you could make your back worse! .... USE CARE & listen to your body! (If you have the money, buy the Inverter instead of doing this!)

Doing this "upside-down traction" took all the pressure off my spine & would TOTALLY ease the pain temporarily while I was in the right position. I did this to ease my back pain about 4 or 5 times a day for about a week, when one time I decided to slowly twist my twisted back, back the other way... & so I slowly twisted my back into the right position while I was upside-down & my spine was pulled apart... Well, Guess what!?... My back snapped back into place!... It took several days for it to heal, & I had to tread carefully but finally it was back the way it was before I twisted it out!

Be sure to keep your back straight when you do this & don't twist, unless you alreadly have a "twisted back" that needs "un-twisted" like I did... Then use care & do it SLOWLY!

* Before doing any traction, I'd recommend taking a hot bath for at least 20 min... as this will relax your muscles. If you can't do that, then lay on a heating pad for 20 minutes before doing the "traction" thing I described above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* PS I looked on the internet for an inverter for you... Couldn't find one, but would recommend calling a "Medical Supply" in the yellow pages. Also, recently I saw a commercial for an Inverter on TV.

* Also, think about doing the Palettes type of Yoga. This REALLY helped my 72 yo mom after back surgery!

Get yourself to a yoga class and if you can't find one purchase a yoga tape for lower back. I had the same problem from an accident to where it was painful to walk and ever since I have practiced yoga I don't have as much pain. Also you may want to look into getting a memory foam mattress. Make sure it is double sided and at least 10". There are some real cheap mattresses out there but they only have one side so you can't flip them and you really need the thickness for comfort and support.

Vicks vapo rub now comes in a tube and is greaseless. Rub a dab in the painful area. It still has the strong smell ,but Vicks also has a "Baby Rub" ( blue jar with PINK lid)that has lavender/rosemarie and aloe vera in it and isn't as strong a fragrance. You can also put ice packs on the painful area for 15 minutes then hot packs for 15 minutes. GG Vi

Forgive an old lady , I forgot to tell you to lay on the floor with your legs up on the couch,scoot up to the couch so your knees are bent and you will feel relief across your low back.

The best help for my back is a "Thermafore." Buy the biggest one you can find at the drug store or a medical supply place. Mine nearly covers my whole back. Hubby uses it on his shoulder too.It is NOT a regular heating pad.Also if you can at your job, put one foot up on a short foot stool. AND If you haven't been to a DR.yet GO there first!

Good Luck, Great Granny Vi