Remedies for Bug Bites

Does anyone have a home remedy for bug bites? My two year old must have been bitten by a mosquito or spider and has red bumps that look bad, they itch, too.

Pseres from MI

Feedback:

Baking Soda Bath

You can draw a baking soda or baby oatmeal bath, that will help with the itching. Adding a little vinegar in the bathwater helps, too. If there are two puncture marks on the bite, it is a spider, and if it is swollen please go to the doctor, or ER if there is diarrhea, fever etc. I get those bad reactions to mosquitoes, and the best homemade non-toxic repellent I know of is Vanilla Extract. I am B+ blood type, and they seem to like that. When I put it on pulse points, no bites.

By camo_angels

Three Ideas

There are three good remedies for bites. Try dabbing them with either vinegar or ammonia. A dab of Nu Skin will stop the itching also, believe it or not. (05/11/2006)

By spyderbyte

Bug Bite Remedy

Old fashioned cheap remedy but it works.

• 1 bottle of rubbing alcohol
  • 6 plain aspirin
Add aspirin to bottle of alcohol shake until dissolved. Label bottle appropriately; I mark mine "Bug Bite Remedy". Rub solution on bite marks with cotton swab. The itching and burning stops very fast.

(05/12/2006)

By Michelle

Hydrocortisone Cream

My daughter gets these from mosquito bites. The first time I saw them they were huge and scary looking. I took her to the doctor and he said she was allergic to the bug bite. He recommended hydrocortisone cream applied to the bumps a few times a day. Stops the itching too. (05/13/2006)

By tmelendezt

Banana Skins

We use the inside skin from a banana. Just peel and rub it where it itches. It works like a charm and you get a delicious snack as well.

By wmceache

What works for some may not work for others. Best over the counter seems to be creams, etc. containing benzocaine or lylocaine. Oragel (toothache remedy) contains benzocaine. So says my daughter a pharmacist for 20+ years.