Remedies for Cat Losing Hair

When your pet starts losing hair in localized spots it is important to determine the cause so that you can begin the proper treatment. This is a guide about remedies for cat losing hair.

January 2, 2016 Flag

My 4 month old kitten has 2 missing patches of fur and they bleed. I've been using peroxide to help heal it, but I don't know what is going on with her. Last week she appeared with the first patch and it's long and hard. Today when I came home from work she had another patch, so I put peroxide on them once again.

I want to know what could maybe be the causes of this or how to heal it without expensive vet bills. These patches just keep coming out of nowhere and I just don't know what to do. The only thing I can really think of is maybe it is because I got another kitten that's only a week apart from her and he's a boy. You can tell they really love each other and they are always playing and fighting together, but their fighting never looks that serious so idk what it could be.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try coconut oil. It come in a jar, $4.99 at aladis or any grocery store. Warm the coconut oil and apply it the the cat's fur. I apply this oil on my cat on all the areas where her fur is coming out. At first, I apply it pretty much all over her. That helped a great deal as she has skin issues and an allergy. Coconut oil, it works wonders!

April 7, 2015 Flag

2 of my cats just had kittens, 4 weeks apart. This is the 3rd litter for 1 cat, and the 1st litter for the other. My 1st time mama was a smaller thin cat and started losing fur around the joints of her legs. Since the birth of her 4 babies, she has lost more fur on her legs and under her tail right by her rear end. I had her to the vet about 6 months ago and everything checked out. Could this be because she is a 1st time mama and she seems a little stressed out? Neither of my female cats nor the male have ever been outside.

By Diane from MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

This sounds like a nutritional deficiency to me.

When cats make milk, almost all the nutrition they take in goes to that milk to feed the kittens. If your cat was thin in the first place, then she wasn't in good enough condition to get pregnant and now she is ill.

Try to correct it by feeding her a much higher nutrition food.

What I'd really like to know is why you keep breeding kittens. Are they pedigreed cats? Do they have papers? If not, please have both cats spayed when they've weaned their kittens. So many things can go wrong with nursing mothers, and we already have enough kittens.

September 5, 2016 Flag

My short haired cat seems to molt excessively all year round. It is driving me crazy. Is combing her regularly actually encouraging the growth as its getting to the point when I'm starting to believe she is molting on purpose just to wind me up or get extra attention? Haha!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Generally speaking, this is a diet issue. Excessive shedding, dry skin and non-shiny fur are often caused by lack of fats in the diet, especially omega 3's. These can be bought and added to the food. Often changing to a higher quality food with fewer fillers or grain-free solves the issue.

June 6, 2016 Flag

A couple of months after giving birth my cat began losing hair by her tail. And it seems as though it is spreading. This was the second time she had kittens, but this has never happened before.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It's like strips on his back

May 17, 2016 Flag

My cat has lost fur in one long straight strip on his back. He is 6. Can anyone help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My cat has the same thing. Two thin stripes with the skin smooth and white showing just appeared overnight. He has similar hairless strips on his legs. Any ideas?

June 7, 2015 Flag

My 4 1/2 year old cat lost hair when I applied flea treatment. Is it normal for some cats to lose hair after a flea treatment? His hair fell out the next day after the treatment. There is no redness and his hair is growing back. Is it safe to give him another treatment when it is due? I bought the flea treatment at the SPCA.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It is not at all uncommon for cats to lose hair at the site of administration of flea preventative medication. I work at an animal hospital, and we get this question regularly. However, you'll want to go ahead and call your regular veterinarian to let him/her know of this so that it may be notated in your cat's medical chart. Hair sometimes grows back, sometimes not. Keep an eye on it and let your vet know immediately if you notice any redness or irritation.

September 27, 2015 Flag

I have a sweet bobtail kitty girl named Bunny Baby. She's been spayed, is an indoor kitty. She is three years young and has a hypothesized diagnosis of potential

food/environmental allergies. At one point shortly after vaccinations and healing from her spaying operation, she developed a UTI. Her feline specialist vet recommended a diet change from grocery store brands of kibble and soft food to Purina One urinary support. And I was told to find a minimal ingredients, grain free wet food.

Her UTI went away, however she began to develop a bump just on the inner rim of her ear and her sister developed an ear infection after the gradual diet change. After another costly trip to the vet I was told to take both kitties off of the PO urinary support and we did the gradual diet switch again to Canaday pure grain free kibble and the same brand canned food along with Natural Balance and Pride by Instincts wet food.

As we have two kitties with different pallets. My kitty Bubbles, although tested and treated with prescribed medicine, never fully recovered from what was diagnosed as an allergic or fungal ear infection. Now, my sweet BB is licking the fur off her front legs. Both kittes rub their mouths vigorously on corners. Sometimes it seems too tough, like they are trying to scratch a serious itch. Otherwise they both seem happy and healthy.

My biggest concern about these issues is that the house we currently live in (and are trying to get out of as it has made me sick with allergies and severe sinus infection and headaches, fatigue) has a leaky roof and mold. The porch leaks moldy water on the floor. I groom them daily since the mold water began to drip. I give them the big lick, which is just a vigorous wipe down with a tablespoon of ACV and warm water. I am also putting coconut oil on BB to help with her legs which I have discovered that around the perimeter of the bald spots, is a little dry and scabby.

If anyone has advice besides going back to the vet; who only seems run tests and come to no firm conclusion yet prescribes meds that cost a ton and in the long run, don't even help my babies. I've literally spent thousands trying to get to the bottom of these symptoms the girls experience. Thank you all in advance!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you Abigail. I am well aware that more than just the roof is in need of massive repair due to years of neglect, not of my own doing. Only one of my kitty friends is licking her fur off. My kitty friend Bubbles has a luxurious coat. The reason for caring for the cats before the roof is very complicated, but simply put if a family member gets sick their care comes first. And btw, the vet bills were over a couple of years. I don't have thousands to spend at once. The house isnt ours, we can't get a loan against a mortgage or the value of the home as it is an estate. My family are no help. I have been sick to the point of not being able to work, so that puts a damper on spending thousands in one go. The leaking roof and mold issues werent physically apparent until this past year due to excessive rain. Now that they have become apparent we have uncovered whilst trying to repair, further damage. To the extent that we have to move. I'm hoping when we do we will all recover.

June 12, 2016 Flag

My cat seems to be losing fur on her belly. It is slow growing. She had a pink spot there, l put medicine on it, but it still stays there. It is not growing bigger with the medicine, but her fur loss is growing. I am not sure what is going on.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is obviously an increasing problem as your cat continues to lose fur. Could be a skin disease, skin or internal infection, nutritional deficiency, etc. Please take your cat to your vet for a clarification of the problem and appropriate medical treatment. Please do not delay as the fur loss may only continue and possibly more be more expensive if not treated now.

September 18, 2016 Flag

My cat is an about 9 - 10 week old rescue and his owner was neglectful. They let him get bitten by fleas, which are gone and he has small patches of fur missing on his arms, face, and ears. I am starting to get concerned even though people say it will grow back. He's happy and seems healthy, but I just want to make sure.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have never seen anything quite like that. I would be on the way to my Vet for an opinion. Skin issues can move pretty fast. I would have that checked out.

August 24, 2016 Flag

I have a 2 year old rescue cat, Thor. We took him to the vet as soon we got him. Everything was OK. Now all of a sudden he keeps nipping at his fur. He's literally licked himself clean of hair. What is going on? He's been eating the same food and using the same litter. Someone please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please take your kitty to your vet now! He may have a skin infection or allergy that is obviously uncomfortable and getting worse. Any delay can make the problem worse and more costly to treat.

December 8, 2013 Flag

My cat is 8 and spayed. She started to lose hair on her elbows and I thought she'd scraped it off somehow. I took her to the vet and after he said it was just flea allergies or her food I had him run all their tests and $350 later he said the same thing since all the skin tests and blood tests, etc. were normal. I changed her food, but she continues to pull on at spots, mainly her side and back. None of my other animals have any of this. I'd go to another vet, but it seems a cat expert is needed. Does anyone have anything you've tried and worked. I thought maybe hormones or a fungus, but have tried all sorts of things. I use the anti-itch stuff from Petco and then she's fine, but she hates being sprayed three or four times a week. Thank you to anyone who has the solution.

By Lori

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try changing her diet again. I changed my dogs diet 5 times before all the itching stopped for good.

June 17, 2015 Flag

I have a 1 year old female cat who very recently started losing hair on her ears, back of head and neck, and down almost to her shoulder blades in some spots. It's pretty uniform across her ears and back of head and then when it gets lower it's just in spots. I thought it could be because I'd gotten a new collar, but I took it off and she's still losing hair. We did just get a new pet, but since we got her we've added 8 other pets and she's never had a reaction like this. No changes in behavior. The only significant change has been the addition of wet food to her and our other cat's dry food once a day. They split one of the small cans between the two of them. Since I started doing that she has gained some weight and it's been since then that she started losing the hair. Is it possible that she's having allergies to wet food that she didn't have to dry only?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ringworm & mange come to mind - maybe one of your other 'pets' introduced it to the household . Get the wee one to a vet to treat it - she deserves all the loving she can get. Don't neglect her due to the amount of other ' pets ' you have. Also ringworm can move onto humans & spread through the others.

June 5, 2015 Flag

My cat is losing a lot of his hair in patches all over his body and losing weight and has scabs. It mostly happens in the summer. What could this be and how can I stop it from happening?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I meant "your cat"! Either way, a vet can determine the cause.

September 24, 2010 Flag

My cat is 2 and has been losing hair since I got her fixed. She is an inside cat and every time I touch her she moves or bites me. Does anyone know why she could be losing hair on the inside of her legs, belly, and a little on the front paws?

By Jess from East Berlin, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check to see if they have fleas, that's what happened to my kitty.

February 13, 2016 Flag

My cat is starting to get a bald patch at the base of her tail. My other cat is fine. Both have been on the same diet for ever and ever, no lice, ticks, or fleas found. There are no worms present. She does lick the spot. Is there anything I can spray maybe on her to stop the licking? Thanks a bunch for any help. I love my cats as much as life more than that anyway.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If your kitty licks the bald spot and there is no improvement by now, please take her to your vet as she may indeed have a medical problem that needs treatment to heal the area.

January 26, 2016 Flag

My cat is losing hair on his back. It turns red and then it comes out. Any help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

i think you will need to see a Vet. Unless you can see them, skin conditions are very hard to diagnose.

November 9, 2013 Flag

I have 2 indoor cats and just recently moved twice in 2 months. They are both treated with Revolution. My 1 1/2 year old boy is licking the hair off his front arm and starting on the second going up his shoulder. He had fleas before, but I used Revolution and I don't see any fleas or flea dirt. I don't know what is wrong. He has a good food and no chicken. The older cat is 14 and she doesn't want to play. He tries, so could it be he's bored? Please help.

Any help for the flea prevention, and over grooming and any ideas on how to help with his nervousness, and any home remedies for any of these problems would be very appreciated. So if anybody can help with what I can put on his arms where he's over groomed, in a few spots he's almost at the skin like a buzz cut. Can I put anything on it to help with the itch or if it's hot. If there is anything natural, a home remedy?

By Mandy from Cornwall, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Take the cats to your Veterinarian.

June 28, 2015 Flag

I have a 1 year cat, Kendell. On the back of her neck right between the shoulders she's got a patch of fur gone. Now it's all red from it bothering her. I only noticed it right around the first time she went into heat for first time. I have no income so I can't go to a vet:( Is there something at home I can do? Please anyone help! Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a common problem with spot on flea treatments. If you have had her awhile and have not used flea treatments, it is most likely something else. Only a Vet can really tell you when he examines your cat. But you have a bigger problem than a cat with a suspicious spot. You really can't own a pet without the ability to pay for their medical care. It is heartbreaking to love a pet and not be able to help them when they are sick. And it is certainly not fair to the pet. Perhaps you can find a part time job (gardening, house cleaning, babybsitting) to build a fund that will protect your pet. If not, you can surrender your pet to a no kill shelter to be treated and rehomed. You sound like a caring person, and you do not want to be in a situation where you cat is very sick, and suffering and you can't do anything about it. Good luck to you. And get your cat spayed asap or you troubles will soon multiply.

Load More
Pets CatsMay 4, 2013
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 16, 2017 at 6:23:51 PM on 10.0.2.37 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.